PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Pre Ban AK type Rifle

hickman
December 6, 2000, 08:33 PM
Since the search function is down, I need some advice on what brand/make pre ban AK is the best (at least the best that is available without a great deal of hunting around). I have a post ban thumbhole stock AK, but would like a second pre ban one before they are gone. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Nukem
December 6, 2000, 08:59 PM
My thoughts don't count for much ;) I bought one of those, don't know why. I don't like it at all.

Just got a 7.62X39 upper for my CAR-AR. I like that much more. Works just as good as an AK and seems to be about 100% more accurate, even with Russian/Chinese ammo.

If you feel like spending too much money for a pre-ban AK, let me know :)

ar-180
December 6, 2000, 09:00 PM
Supposedly the Steyr imported Egyptian Maddi's are the best. It is as close to an actual Soviet AKM as possible...

IZZY
December 6, 2000, 09:43 PM
Go to http://www.aimsurplus.com and get yourself a SAR pistol-grip AK. The only thing it is missing is a bayonet lug and a flash hider( an ak-74 type compensator can be welded on to take care of that). Why spend 800-1200 on a "pre-ban" when you can get one for around 300??? Besides these have been banned too as they take 30 round mags ( also available from aim surplus), and soon will be "pre-ban"!

These are better than the MADI.

Destructo6
December 6, 2000, 11:30 PM
When you say "pre-ban", are you looking for a pre-1989 rifle? They're pretty expensive these days.

The post-1989 AKs that have been Americanized are much less expensive and are still quite good. There isn't a huge amout of difference between the different brands, with perhaps the exception of the Bulgarian ones (better) and Russian (best).