PDA

View Full Version : holster for 1911 45 acp ?

rebs
May 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
what do you guys recommend for a inside the waist band cc holster for 1911 45 acp ?

Also the same for a S&W model 19 4" barrel ?

Not cheap but not real expensive either, just nice middle of the line holsters

Spats McGee
May 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
For the 1911, I recommend a holster from Tommy Theis: http://theisholsters.com/

I'd make a suggestion for the S&W, if I had one.

kayakersteve
May 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
Only the best - Milt Sparks VMII

Mrgunsngear
May 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
Put me down for Theis, RKBA, or White Hat. All are great and affordable.

rebs
May 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the replies, I will check them all out before deciding.

AK103K
May 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
If youre partial to leather, Ill second the Sparks VMII.

If you want a holster that will probably last you a lifetime, a Blade Tech kydex IWB is a great holster, and at about half the price of most good leather holsters.

grandpajoe
May 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
I like these: www.winthropholsters.com I carry a OACP in mine and I hardly know I'm carrying. I didn't see the S&W K frames listed though.

OldMarksman
May 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
And one more for the VMII.

Ichiban
May 26, 2012, 06:22 AM
I'm a big fan for the Silent Thunder from Garrett. It is leather lined kydex, tuckable, and easy to put on & take off.
http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/silent-thunder-iwb/
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx191/saharrold/SilentThunder.gif

rebs
May 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
I like the looks of the silent thunder

1goodshot
May 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
I want a Galco fletch

X_shooter
May 26, 2012, 08:04 AM
+1 on the White Hat. Got one a couple for weeks ago and wish I would have bought it a year ago. The gun seemed to disappear on my hip and the weight was much more distributed. I hardly notice it there. Price was great and only a three week wait.

excelerater
May 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
N82Tactical makes it easy to carry a heavy 1911

Aguila Blanca
May 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Don Hume -- Available direct and from Gunners Alley

dajowi
May 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'd recommend one from Haugen Handgun Leather like the EZ Carry. The quality is excellent but you may have to wait a bit.

rodfac
May 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
As to IWB carry; I've never found a holster that was comfortable, as well as usable that didn't require a pant's size one size larger, at least. I'm not willing to maintain two pants wardrobes to accommodate this mode of carry. Rod

AK103K
May 26, 2012, 07:13 PM
Theres no doubt, IWB takes a little getting used to at first. It initially doesnt feel right, and your body needs to adjust to the holster being there. Once you give it a little while, and find that "sweet spot", things are usually a lot better from there on out.

For me, keeping my normal pant size works a lot better than going up a size. Things are slightly snug when you first insert the holster, but the fabric soon "gives", and it feels good past that. The holster feels a lot more secure and theres a lot less movement this way, then when your pants are "to big".

Another downside to wearing one or two sizes larger is, your pants dont look like they fit, with or without the holster in place. The waist isnt the only part they make bigger, and your pants just dont look like they fit right.

Andrewh
May 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
I have tried quite a few iwb holsters.

crossbreed supertuck or one of the knock offs setup like it are the best by far.
most comfortable and easiest to set up.

can tuck in my shirt, or wear it with t-shirt and shorts.

full size 1911 and full size witness.
though the witness prints a bit more to me due to its thickness.

they even have a factory seconds website and nra gets 10 percent off.

Arch Angel
May 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
I have to give a nod to the Silent Thunder. I carry my 4in 1911 in one daily and it is comfortable and easy to put on and take off, and the price is very good for the quality.

brickeyee
May 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not willing to maintain two pants wardrobes to accommodate this mode of carry.

If you carried all the time you would only need one size.

Jason_G
May 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
Theres no doubt, IWB takes a little getting used to at first. It initially doesnt feel right, and your body needs to adjust to the holster being there. Once you give it a little while, and find that "sweet spot", things are usually a lot better from there on out.

For me, keeping my normal pant size works a lot better than going up a size. Things are slightly snug when you first insert the holster, but the fabric soon "gives", and it feels good past that. The holster feels a lot more secure and theres a lot less movement this way, then when your pants are "to big".

Another downside to wearing one or two sizes larger is, your pants dont look like they fit, with or without the holster in place. The waist isnt the only part they make bigger, and your pants just dont look like they fit right.

Amen. I do not go up in pants or belt sizes. Makes things way too loose and wobbly for me.

For a cheap (relatively), but good, and usually readily available holster, you really can't go wrong with the Milt Sparks Summer Special II that Brownells keeps in stock. I bought it as a stop gap until I could afford a "better" holster for my 1911, but that was at least four years ago, and I'm still carrying it everyday. Great holster.

Jason

BigJimP
May 31, 2012, 06:27 PM
Kramer leather ....and I prefer their horsehide leather...for IWB ...or a scabbard style.

http://www.kramerleather.com/

I prefer their FBI style / with a forward tilt .......and I have a number of their holsters for my 1911's, my Sigs and my K and N frame S&W revolvers.

edfrompa
June 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
Milt Sparks tops the list. Only one problem. there is a one year waiting list. They must be doing something right. Great holster!!!

dev_null
June 2, 2012, 12:53 PM
Another vote for the Milt Sparks VersaMax II.

ClydeFrog
June 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
I'd check these brands;
Galco, Safariland, Milt Sparks, Greg Kramer, Ted Blocker(Ayoob LFI model), Bulman, Alessi, Bianchi, Mernickle, High Noon Holsters, COM Holsters, Mitch Rosen, El Paso Saddlery & Don Hume.

I don't care for the IWB holster style but you should find a decent rig for your budget. I'd add that horsehide is great for regular carry & The Mako Group has a new synthetic line that looks good.

ClydeFrog

icedog88
June 4, 2012, 05:30 AM
The other end of the spectrum. Tagua. About $30.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78431&d=1328540158

rebs
June 4, 2012, 05:39 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I currently carry a 4" model 19 Smith in an inside the waist band holster and am quite comfortable with it. I recently decided to try carrying the 1911 because it is a little slimmer than the revolver. The holster I use for the model 19 is an Alessi.

orionengnr
June 4, 2012, 08:57 PM
I joined the Milt Sparks waiting list a couple years back. When I received my VMII, I wore it for a time, then put it back in the safe. It is still sitting there.
I would sell it in a heartbeat, but it was a present from my bride, so I dare not.

I wear my Alessi Watch Six every day. One day soon I will order an FBG Striker I for my 1911--if it is half as good as the one for my Kahr P45 is, I will never need another 1911 holster.

In case I'm wrong, I recently bought a CrossBreed SuperTuck.

I am not crazy about it, but it has it's place.