PDA

View Full Version : P290 versus Nano?

BoneDigger
May 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Of the two guns mentioned, which would you be more likely to buy, based on personal experience or internet reading/technology/features? I recently sold my PM9 because I just didn't like the way it shot, although I admit it never malfunctioned. I may hold out for a Shield (on a waiting list), but I worry that it may be a LITTLE too big for what I want. I already have a M&P9c and I LOVE that gun. Shoots great, probably better than any others I have had.

From what I have read on the internet, the Nano has had some FTE issues, but they seem to either get fixed quickly by Beretta or the issue has now been resolved, because most recent posts I have seen have been positive. The Nano feels good to me, although I have never owned an auto without a slide stop of some kind, so that worries me a "little".

Of the two guns, I kind of liked the trigger of the P290 a little better than the Nano, even though most reviews I have seen have said just the opposite, that the Nano has the better trigger. Without actually firing them it's hard to say for sure.

The Nano is very sleek and seems like it would be easy to carry. Most folks seems to like it. The P290 has the slide release, night sights, plus comes with a cheap paddle holster, but it costs about $75 more.

So, from real world experience or perception from what you have seen, which would be the better option?

Todd

BGutzman
May 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
The P290 is a great little gun... If you look on you tube several of the biggest youtube critics have IMHO no business using any guns... One guy seems to think you pull the trigger on a empty chamber and then load the magazine while the trigger is still fully and intentionally depressed and then he has issues.

When he does load it like the rest of the world it works flawlessly.

I have a P290 first Edition that is a little masterpiece.. I hate DAO triggers and yet on the 290 I knew going it that it was DAO and I actually like its trigger.

The only downside for me is the extended mag is a little pricy and for whatever reason it doesnt seem to want to seat without a moment or two of playing with it... The standard 6 round mag does not have this issue... Once either magazine is locked it stays in place.

It could be I got a questionable magazine and others aren’t like this... I don’t know.. With or without the extended mag the gun is very, very accurate and controllable, the gun just feels solid and sound like the quality gun it is.

David the Gnome
May 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't own either personally. :)

BGutzman
May 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
The Shield looks like a fine gun, id love to try one but as I said I own a P290 and its been flawless as far as the operation of the gun itself....

Sixer
May 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
You should get the PM9... oh wait ;)

The "Shield" is a pretty slick little pistola... seems to have a better trigger than the M&P's. That said, it's not as small as I had anticipated. Tough call.

RC20
May 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
I am confused

First portion you say from Internet reports or experience and the last just experience.

Also, if you like the shield why would you want to look at other guns?

Fun maybe, but if the Shield suits you so well thats the gun you should go with, regardless of any reports.

Its how it fits and works for you.

Que
May 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
I own a P290. My experience with the Nano and Shield has only been holding and dry firing one in a shop. I will not speak to those two guns as I do not believe that some shop time with one qualifies me to say much other than that I may consider owning a Shield down the road, or at least shooting one to see what it's really all about. I will say that overall it seemd to me a good bit larger than the P290. I haven't compared specs so that is just my impression based on limited exposure with the Shield.

As to the P290, I like it quite a bit. Mine, with a build date of March 2011, had to go back to SIG. After my first range session the hammer would not go down all the way upon pulling the trigger. It would stop short of the firing pin. There were no other issues with the gun. After a trip to SIG, with a turn-around time of eight days door to door, the gun came back fixed. The paperwork indicated an upgraded trigger as well as a new mag release. There had been no previous issues with the mag release. The gun now performs perfectly. While I wish SIG would have gotten this pistol right the first time, their customer service really came through. The trigger is also noticeably lighter. This upgrade was prior to the RS reset version upgrade, and I am happy with the gun as it. Re-strike isn't important to me as my practice is tap/rack. But, the trigger upgrade they did has resulted in a much lighter trigger. The old trigger was smooth (not at all gritty) but heavy. The new trigger is much lighter and any stacking seems to be dead minimal. For my purposes SIG has got this one right.

Overall I find the P290 to be light shooting for its size. Accuracy with about 200 rounds has been good and is getting better. At eleven yards all rounds are into five inches, which is just fine for the purposes of this gun. I can tell that accuracy will improve with practice but I find it to be acceptable at this point. Function has been 100%. The (SigLite night sights) sights are actually outstanding for this size gun. I believe they are the same size sights used on a SIG like the P220. While the sights are a big plus they will become a bit less so as I will be doing a lot of point shooting. The gun shoots better (more accurate and controllable) with the extended eight round mag which is my back-up. I see no use for a laser.

As to carrying the gun, I have limited it to pocket carry. The gun gets a bad rap as being thick, but in terms of height and length it is actually quite compact. In a Galco Nemesis it is quickly forgotten in my pocket. It's heavier than many pocket guns, but carried the right way it ceases to be an issue for me.

Overall, after the initial hiccup, the gun is a keeper. Stick to guns with newer build dates and you will be good to go,

jibberjabber
May 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
My Nano has been nothing but reliable, accurate and easy-shooting. Also, it fits easily in the pocket - very thin and no protrusion on the sides for a snag-free draw. Take-down is ultra simple.

Beretta will also be coming out with extended grip mags, sights (which you can swap yourself, and even different chassis. Platform was built for .40 S&W and is quite robust.

Mrgunsngear
May 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
I voted Sheild because it's the best of the bunch IMO. I've shot all of them and they're all quality guns but the 290 is just to heavy for a single stack gun for me. I'm also not a fan of the trigger but that's a personal preference...
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01601.jpg

Fishbed77
May 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
I recently sold my PM9 because I just didn't like the way it shot, although I admit it never malfunctioned.

In my opinion, you should buy back the PM9. ;)

I can't think of anything substantial that the Nano or P290 offers that the Kahr doesn't already do better.

rborgers
May 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have a P290, a CM9, and a Nano my vote is the P290. I pocket carry it every day without any issues. The P290 is the only micro nine that I can fire 50 rounds weak handed non supported and not have a single FTF. I have tried this with test with a Kimber Solo, CM9, Nano, LC9, and a Rohrbaugh and after three or four magazine I would end up with a FTF. I have close to 1000 rounds through my P290 without any issues. I even went 350 rounds without cleaning it and still no problems.

BoneDigger
May 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
In my opinion, you should buy back the PM9. ;)

I can't think of anything substantial that the Nano or P290 offers that the Kahr doesn't already do better.

I know it may sound silly, but the little indented section of the trigger guard always bothered me. I just never felt right shooting it.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.

jibberjabber
May 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
Ultimately, you should answer your own question by trial and error. Other peoples' experiences and opinion won't make any pistol the right match for you no matter how convincing. I guess it's fun to discuss a guns features, just don't be dissuaded from trying a gun because of something someone says. One gun won't fit or please everyone.

iMagUdspEllr
May 24, 2012, 06:53 AM
P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. So I would say that your accuracy would be diminished. It does have night sights, though!

Nano- The gun weighs 18 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. It doesn't have night sights on it either. Accuracy is going to be greatly diminished due to the lack of night sights and heavy trigger pull.

Shield- The gun weighs 19 oz and has a reasonable trigger pull (6.5 lbs advertised) and there are aftermarket night sights for it. So, you would be most likely to hit what you're aiming at with this.

BGutzman
May 24, 2012, 07:44 AM
Keep in mind these guns arent meant for general target shooting.. at self defense distances the triggers are fine and in at least one magazine review the P290 was noted as being the most accurate of the three tested (I think the other was a Kimber Solo and I dont remeber what the last one was)

Mrgunsngear
May 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull.

I just went to Sig's website to verify this---you are correct sir. For some reason, it just felt like a brick when I shot it compared to the Nano/Sheild. Odd...:confused:

Que
May 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
As to the weight of the P290, it is indeed heavy at 20 oz.. But, when shooting a pocket/subcompact 9mm, a little weight is your friend. The real issue is how that weight carries and how it is carried.

ScotchMan
May 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.standardshootingtools.com/uploads/7/2/0/5/7205914/162273_orig.jpg

iMagUdspEllr
May 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
@BGutzman: In my opinion, "Good enough for self-defense ranges." means, "I'm willing to intentionally handicap my ability to shoot because they are so close I 'can't miss'."

And people miss, especially under stress, at any range. There is no reason to make your job harder if there is a better alternative that meets or exceeds all of the prerequisites for the intended usage.

jmvdigital
May 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Second vote for the Walther PPS.

BGutzman
May 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
@BGutzman: In my opinion, "Good enough for self-defense ranges." means, "I'm willing to intentionally handicap my ability to shoot because they are so close I 'can't miss'."

And people miss, especially under stress, at any range. There is no reason to make your job harder if there is a better alternative that meets or exceeds all of the prerequisites for the intended usage.

Anything this small is not going to be a sniper rifle of a pistol at ranges more than 25 feet.. That said I have no problem hitting out to 50 or 60 foot... But it’s not the same nice small group... If felt the need I have a 460 Rowland and a SIG P220 that hits pretty well at more distant ranges.. Other than that its rifle or shotgun..

I just don’t see the typical engagement being more than 50 or 60 foot and statically it’s a lot more likely to be a lot closer than that if you’re in a SD situation.

B.N.Real
May 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
:D-Best poll EVER.

LOL.

khegglie
May 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
voted neither, The NANO looked good but It has too many issues.. see the Beretta forums. The SIG looks great to me but it is Glock 27 thick and heavy for pocket carry. I got lucky and got a .40 Shield and it has replaced a G27 and PF9 for daily carry. Right thickness/weight/profile/ recoil characteristics(BETTER than the PF9).

iMagUdspEllr
May 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
@BGutzman:

What you just stated is a straw man. I never claimed that these pistols were sniper rifles or that they should perform like one.

Here is my argument (again): You are already compromising weight (lighter = more recoil), sight radius, and magazine capacity in order to have a more concealable gun (because we MUST conceal it). But, we DON'T have to compromise on the ergonomics or quality of the trigger do we? So why should we?

I don't understand why you started talking about shooting at ranges further than 25 feet, sniper rifles, full-size pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc.

Just because you are shooting at a distance less than 25 feet doesn't mean you automatically hit every shot. A small, light, difficult to aim pistol in your quivering hand(s) could still fully accomplish missing all of its six to eight shots. And, a heavy trigger that is more likely to pull the small pistol further off-target doesn't help things. The gun HAS to be small (because we are concealing it), that doesn't mean the trigger HAS to be terrible or that we should disregard the quality of the trigger.

Que
May 25, 2012, 09:33 AM
I've seen a number of negative references to the P290 slide thickness around the Net. I think that it is a matter of perception, due to the pistol's overall small size, rather than reality. Here is a comparison of some widths:

P290: .9 inches (1.1 inches w/slide catch lever)
Glock: 1.18 inches
Nano: .9 inches
Shield: .95 inches
PPS: .91 inches without slide catch lever, 1.04 inches with.

willmc33
May 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
My M&P Shield 9mm shoots and handles great, surprisingly little felt recoil. Grip is abit long to me but a heck of alot slimmer then a G26 or M&P9 C.

BoneDigger
May 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well, I found a used Shield today with less than a dozen rounds through it, so I bought it. Got it for $400 even and no tax, so not too bad. I'll give it a try. I guess I can always sell it if I don't like it.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.

AdamSean
May 26, 2012, 01:41 AM
IMO the Shield is in a slightly larger class. Great gun, but not small enough for my pocket. I went with the Nano. In the next size up, I carry my Glock 27.

willmc33
May 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
The reason I passed on the Nano is to me a big deal and if I am wrong someone please correct me and tell me a way I am not seeing. The reason I passed is the same reason it is so sleek. No external controls. If I am in a situation where it is SHTF and I need to protect myself or my family and I am wounded and have been shot or injured and I can only use 1 of my arms. I can change mags one handed but for me to get that pistol back functional as it is designed I need the use of both of my hands to grip that pistol, grab that slide, and release that slide for the pistol to return to full battery. if I am in a SHTF situation I do not want to have that possibility even enter my thought process. Just the way I look at it...

baccusboy
May 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Found some Nano's here (http://www.slickguns.com/product/beretta-nano-9x19-jmn9s15-40995-free-shipping?a=2093&k=other), with free shipping, if anyone's interested. I heard they can be hard to find.

BGutzman
May 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
The Shield is a lot bigger than the P290.

The Shield is 4&1/2 inches in height vs 3.9 (P290)
The Shield is longer with a overall length of 6.1 vs 5.5 (P290)
The width of the shield is .95 inches vs .9 (p290)

The Shield is small but definitely not nearly as small so not really a valid comparison.

The Nano is 4.17 in height
Overall length of 5.63
and width .90

It and the P290 seem to be a lot more equals...

pat701
May 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Buy the Sig and be done with it if it fits your hand right.

Shadi Khalil
May 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. So I would say that your accuracy would be diminished. It does have night sights, though!

Nano- The gun weighs 18 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. It doesn't have night sights on it either. Accuracy is going to be greatly diminished due to the lack of night sights and heavy trigger pull.

Shield- The gun weighs 19 oz and has a reasonable trigger pull (6.5 lbs advertised) and there are aftermarket night sights for it. So, you would be most likely to hit what you're aiming at with this.

How does accuracy diminish from lack of night sites? IMO, small guns like these are point shooters and sites are a moot point, especially night sites.

hblac
May 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
The 290 was too heavy and too big for pocket carry. It shot well but overall it doesn't match the Kahr PM9 in accuracy or ease of carry. Of course its about half the cost so maybe should compare to CM9. Haven't tried the Nano but have fondled the Shield and its too large for pocket carry (same size as Kahr CW9 which already have).

Czsig
October 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
I like my P290. I'm small framed guy, 155 lbs, and it's my regular carry. Accurate and points naturally for me.
I did, however, purchase a second generation (but not the restrike capable P290RS). The front sight went dark, so on my last trip out of country ( I work in Mexico) I sent it to SIG, and decided to have it made restrike capable. A week later, the 290 came back: new sights all round and new restrike trigger system at NO charge. Not even shipping. Good company, good weapon.

TennJed
October 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
Really like my p290

LockedBreech
October 31, 2012, 12:45 AM
The Shield is a well-made gun, but I'm not hugely in favor of an awkward-to-actuate safety on a carry gun. I really wish they'd make a no-safety version.

The Nano gets a bad rap, I think it's a better gun than it has a rep for being.

ares338
October 31, 2012, 08:12 AM
It amazes me that a forum topic has the title....P290 vs. Nano...and some bring up The Shield or some other brand. Also, some people just have to argue with someone, anyone. It's opinion folks. That said....I chose the P290 over the Nano because of the way it felt in my hand, the size, quality of workmanship and the opinion of someone I respect. I pocket carry it easily and find it to be very accurate for a small pistol. I'm sure the Nano would have been fine too.

Mr Budha
October 31, 2012, 08:46 AM
+1 for the PPS since I'm leaning towards it myself :)

Theohazard
October 31, 2012, 12:50 PM
ares338 posted:
It amazes me that a forum topic has the title....P290 vs. Nano...and some bring up The Shield or some other brand.
Uh, the OP mentioned the Shield first. I'm guessing you missed his poll.

Czsig
November 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
Having been to the outdoor drill range with the new restrike trigger on the P290, I am re- impressed. Excellent DA trigger, and as a hideout/carry I just can't find a reason to bitch. I just have to wonder how many handgunners who have fired the P290 can really say it "sucked". (and is that a reasonable term anyway:rolleyes: )

November 1, 2012, 10:14 AM
I'd go with the P290- nice guns. If not the P290, then the Walther PPS.

chaim
November 3, 2012, 11:51 AM
I was recently buying a gun in this niche and voted with my wallet.

The store didn't have a Shield, but they had several other guns that I could look at side by side, and I considered the Ruger LC9, the Kel Tec PF-9, the SIG P290, the Beretta Nano, and the Kahr CM9.

I bought the SIG P290, and a week later I came back and also bought the Kel Tec. I went to the store the first day thinking I would be buying the Kahr BTW.

I love that SIG. Reasonably accurate, considering the size it is comfortable to shoot, 100% reliable so far (only had it a few weeks, but based on my prior SIG experience I expect it to stay reliable), and while a little heavy for pocket carry (which helps the recoil control), it conceals quite nicely. I did return and buy the lighter Kel Tec (it weighs less fully loaded than any of the guns on your list weigh empty) as an inexpensive toy which might be slightly more suitable for pocket carry on occasion.

weldonjr2001
November 4, 2012, 12:07 AM
I've got the Nano AND P290RS. Both have, for me, many good points, and few bad ones. I'll keep and carry them both.

I think the Nano trigger is better. I like the night sights on the P290RS, and will add them to the Nano as soon as I can get my hands on them.

In my Docker style pants, the P290 comes out of the pocket easier than the Nano, and prints less. But both work fine in my pocket.

I've got closing in on 400 rounds through the Nano, and have not had a malfunction of any type. This is firing strong-hand, weak-hand, and two-handed.

I've only got 114 rounds through the P290RS. Had on failure to feed on round 24 with a Corbon 115 grain +P cartridge. Everything else was good.

Both are built like little tanks.

I had a Kahr PM9, and while it was flawless, and the trigger great, I like a little more weight when shooting hot loads, and the Nano and P290RS provide that.

Incidentally, for those that have trouble seating the 8-round P290 mag, push on the base plate, not the spacer, and it'll click in place very easily. When you push on the spacer, you're not getting full movement of the magazine itself. Try it, you'll be amazed.

I can't take credit for this find, I read it in a post on the SigForum after having my P290RS for just a day.

And I agree with those who consider the Shield in the next category up in size. That big, and I'd be carrying it other than pocket style, and would just as soon carry something with more capacity, like my G27, or PX4SC, or M&PC.

predecessor
November 4, 2012, 12:51 AM
The reason I passed on the Nano is to me a big deal and if I am wrong someone please correct me and tell me a way I am not seeing.

It's never a bad plan to be prepared for as many contingencies as possible. But you must always balance the tactical with the practical.

Whether a pistol has a slide release or not is so far down on my list of priorities in a pistol that it has absolutely no bearing (for me) as to whether or not I purchase a pistol that does or does not have one.

Everyone is different of course, but I do not use the slide stop in any way other than for convenience in releasing the slide with an empty magazine.

As for the scenario that you pose, first, I typically do not carry an extra magazine in the first place when carrying a pocket or sub-compact pistol. Round count is not my concern with this gun. If I felt the need for an extra magazine I would go up in size slightly to a compact or mid-size pistol that had more than double the capacity of two 6 round mags.

Second, I have no trouble whatsoever releasing an open slide with one hand on a loaded magazine without the use of a slide release. Any hard edge with a 2" clearance will do. Nothing around that fits the bill? Your shoe will work fine! Barefoot on the beach? You got me there. Better have two mags and a pistol with a slide release :p

rodfac
November 4, 2012, 10:23 AM
Gotta disagree with you Shadi on your assessment of night sights' benefits. In a darkened bedroom, (ours is right at 21'), they keep us on the target. I've got some experience with the P290, carry one as my rotation gun when the S&W M36 J-frame is off my hip, and find that I really like the night sights, and wish the Smith had them!

On the bedside table, those little green dot's make finding the gun easier, and tests on my home range here on the farm, in the dark, show that they're effective at all realistic ranges. Not so with my beloved Smith...beyond 8-10' it might scare the BG's or blind 'em with the muzzle flash, but hits on target will be scarce.

As to the P290: it's a good gun, with a long trigger pull but easy to adapt to, accuracy with a two handed Weaver Stance is just over an inch at 10 yds (with either the 6 or 8 rnd. mag.), and great reliability. I've had one FTF (light primer strike) in over 500 rounds now. A thorough cleaning of the bolt, firing pin and firing pin race has hopefully cured the light strike issue. The front night sight went dark after a month, but Sig cheerfully replaced that in less than a week's time. All in all, I like the gun, and trust it for carry purposes.

I can't empathize with those who find the P290's slide too thick... but then I usually carry a J-frame revolver for the most part...and finally, at 20 oz., the Sig P290 is just too heavy for my pocket pocket carry, but does make it easier to control for follow up shots. Instead, I use a waist belt holster of my own design in the old "FBI" 4 o'clock position.

Best Regards, Rod

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Holster%20work/P1010251.jpg

LockedBreech
November 4, 2012, 01:17 PM
A consideration: Bud's Gun Shop has the Nano for $379 right now. Considering Beretta's $50 rebate, that's $329, or about $350-360 with FFL transfer fee. That's a steal for Beretta quality.

9mmsnoopy
November 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have a P290, i like it, havent shot it much yet 200 rounds or so,but its been faultless thus far. Its a little heavier than i think it needs to be, but i can still carry it in a pocket. Have no experiance with the Nano other than holding one, i have seen them for as low as $359 at the gun shows, i might pick one up in the future.

Shadi Khalil
November 9, 2012, 05:44 PM
Rod,

You make good points I didn't consider.

khegglie
November 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
Went with the .40 Shield(I pocket carry it), Love the Sig but too much $$$$$. I got turned away from the Nano which I originally wanted because of the early bad rap with FTE ect.

tristar viper
December 6, 2012, 05:07 AM
I'm going to find a range that has a P290 to rent. I want very much to like the gun, because I'm a huge Sig fan. Of the three guns in that poll, after having had a S&W M&P and getting rid of it because to me it feels cheap and I didn't shoot it nearly as well as my Glock or my P226, I surely won't vote for the shield. But I hope the P290 I get to shoot is better functionally than what I thought when I simply just held one in my hand....what a miniature cement block that thing is. Does it really need to be so heavy??
But I have an open mind.....may even shoot a Nano if I can find one. But I won't buy either until I can fire them.

AdamSean
December 7, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ok, for those who said they both suck, how many have actually had any real experience with one other than holding it or hearing about it. The Shield is actually bigger and pushed the gun out of pocket carry. I am not saying the Shield is a bad choice, but I am tired of hearing folks dis the Nano when mine is combat accurate and efficient. I can outshoot my buddy with his 1911. Give credit where credit is due.

proxpilot
December 7, 2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2012/03/Springfield-XDS-001.jpg

BGutzman
December 7, 2012, 07:36 PM
I love my little P290!

deadcoyote
December 7, 2012, 07:38 PM
For what it's worth I've never been a huge Sig fan and just shot a P238 and fell in love instantly. I almost went impulse crazy and bought one immediately. I came to my senses but that's a darn fine little pistol.

TennJed
December 15, 2012, 03:03 AM
I wanted to post this to anyone who might be reading and interested in the P290
Here are a few for anyone who might be considering the P290

The SIG SAUER P290 made me a better shooter and, if not a better person, at least a happier one. It’s a whole lot of gun for such a little gun. Uncanny out-of-the-box accuracy elevates the P290 into the top tier of subcompact 9mm pistols

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/07/ralph/gun-review-sig-sauer-p290/

If you are looking for a 9 mm deep-concealment gun, you should consider the SIG P290. But, you can’t just hold the gun in your hand at a local shop—you really have to shoot it to appreciate the brilliance of the design

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/13926/sig-sauer-p290/

The littlest 9mm pistol from Sig is a good one. I think that the folks at Sig Sauer made to right decision to rework their P290, and the resulting P290RS is one of the best sub-compact 9x19mm pistols currently on the market.

http://gunblast.com/SIG-P290RS.htm/ (http://gunblast.com/SIG-P290RS.htm)

practice.
A tall order, but based on the sample pistol I tested, the SIG Sauer P290 it hits all these benchmarks. SIG did a good job here with some subtle touches that don’t leap out at first (or even second) glance but greatly contribute to its shooting and handling characteristics.

http://gunsgunsguns.net/sig-sauer-p290/

Summary- Well so far so good. An excellent shooting, attractive looking, quality gun an no complaints thus far other than the dead sights (which is covered) and the price tag, which is my fault for paying it. If your in the market for a tiny 9mm I really like this one

http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2011/10/sig-sauer-p290-9mm/

To be honest, I didn't know if I was going to like the P290. As a fan of pocket pistols and deep-concealment firearms, I thought this pistol would be just a little too large to fit the bill. However, as I’ve cleaned it, carried it and shot it, this new SIG Sauer has grown on me. By moving it half a step over from the pocket pistol category to the sub-compact box, it’s clearly a pistol with an exceptional feature set—handling, power level and reliability—for a handgun of its size. I can see the P290 easily taking the place of some of the larger defensive handguns that I like, and possibly some of the smaller ones as well.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/sig-p290-review/

So where does the P290 fit in? Simple. If you want something bigger than a .380, something easy to carry but that won’t pull you under if you hit soft ground, the P290 might be for you. If you are not enamored of cocked-and-locked carry, the P290 would move higher up your list. And if a striker-driven firing system does not set your heart a-pitter-pat, then the DAO of the P290 makes it perfect.

http://So where does the P290 fit in? Simple. If you want something bigger than a .380, something easy to carry but that won’t pull you under if you hit soft ground, the P290 might be for you. If you are not (http://So%20where%20does%20the%20P290%20fit%20in?%20Simple.%20If%20you%20want%20something%20bigger%20than%20a%20.380,%20something%20easy%20to%20carry%20but%20that%20won’t%20pull%20you%20under%20if%20you%20hit%20soft%20ground,%20the%20P290%20might%20be%20for%20you.%20If%20you%20are%20not%20enamored%20of%20cocked-and-locked%20carry,%20the%20P290%20would%20move%20higher%20up%20your%20list.%20And%20if%20a%20striker-driven%20firing%20system%20does%20not%20set%20your%20heart%20a-pitter-pat,%20then%20the%20DAO%20of%20the%20P290%20makes%20it%20perfect.)
enamored of cocked-and-locked carry, the P290 would move higher up your list. And if a striker-driven firing system does not set your heart a-pitter-pat, then the DAO of the P290 makes it perfect. (http://So%20where%20does%20the%20P290%20fit%20in?%20Simple.%20If%20you%20want%20something%20bigger%20than%20a%20.380,%20something%20easy%20to%20carry%20but%20that%20won’t%20pull%20you%20under%20if%20you%20hit%20soft%20ground,%20the%20P290%20might%20be%20for%20you.%20If%20you%20are%20not%20enamored%20of%20cocked-and-locked%20carry,%20the%20P290%20would%20move%20higher%20up%20your%20list.%20And%20if%20a%20striker-driven%20firing%20system%20does%20not%20set%20your%20heart%20a-pitter-pat,%20then%20the%20DAO%20of%20the%20P290%20makes%20it%20perfect.)

I think Sig will have a big winner.

http://gunblog.com/sig-p290-sub-compact