PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Colt Gold Cup

branrot
December 5, 2000, 12:41 AM
How does everyone feel about this gun in comparison to the offerings from Springfield, Ed Brown, Kimber, etc. Please address accuracy, ergonomics, looks, reliablility, and value.

Bob C
December 5, 2000, 07:12 PM
Compared to the Kimber Gold Match, the Colt is a little less ammo sensitive, and a little less accurate. Also, the stories about the rear sight pins breaking on the gold cup are true. My GC has a Millett rear sight, aftermarket thumb safety, aftermarket slide stop, and aftermarket grips. Now it's one of my favorites.

The '80 Series, which I have, are less popular and can sometimes be found at very good prices.

MPower
December 6, 2000, 04:46 AM
How can you mention Ed Brown in the same sentence with Kimber and Springfield? Personally I like Colts, I like what they stand for and that is worth something to me. I have a lot of handguns already so if the Colt is not 100% reliable, well it won't really bother me. If you need to depend on the gun I would say have a smith like Brian Bilby or Dane Burns tune an SA or Kimber for reliability (about $200-300. Ed Brown guns are entirely different and are almost perfectly built, they are $2000 on a good day when you can find one. I would not expect any issues with an Ed Brown gun and they are in a completely different class to the SA and Kimber. You might want to look at Wilson Combat, or Les Baer.

RON 1
December 6, 2000, 10:54 AM
There is only one colt, It was good enough for our GIs and it is good enough for me .Colts are also a very good investment if you can find one a a reasonable price lately the prices have skyrocketed and I think they will continue to do so, at a recent gun show a guy had a new in the box gold cup series 80 and wanted $1000 for it. I told him that was a little high but he said if it did not sell at this show it will at the next or the next ,and he really did care