PDA

View Full Version : Complete Garand Training Movie and Operation Movie

Amsdorf
May 19, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've been working on assembling and editing the great old World War II training movie on the M1 Garand and a function movie they did on its operation.

I downloaded the video, worked at enhancing the audio though better sound balance and tone, then the video trying to adjust for greater clarity by working on cropping, brightness, contrast, exposure, saturation and white balance. If I had a copy of the original movie I could do something about lower resolution, but I gave it my best shot.

There are four parts, but the first one, on sighting and aiming, has never been transferred from the original movie. If anyone knows where that is, or might have a lead on it, let me know.

Here's the playlist containing all the parts of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL146F6D369F7F2630

KLRANGL
May 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
I've been watching these as you've been putting them up over the last week or so. Quite entertaining actually. Many thanks for this.

Amsdorf
May 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hey, thanks for your kind remark. It is actually quite surprising/amusing how long it takes me to get these things prepped, processed and uploaded...but it is a great hobby and gets my mind off "real life."

I'm glad you enjoy them.

I've been learning a lot from them too.

MarkDozier
May 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
i can wait to see these. the originals are on my favorite list of shooting videos. I would love to see part one myself and i have been looking.

KLRANGL
May 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
It looks like there are four more topics on the board after slow fire. What are they supposed to be?

Amsdorf
May 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
The original movie had four parts, but for some reason, the first part on aiming and sighting has never been transferred from film.

I've worked on the parts that are available, parts two to four and I have them all here in a master playlist. Please note that Video 1 is a separate movie teaching how the Garand operates, the rest of the videos are all that are available of the original movie. I split one or two of the parts up, but they are all there.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL146F6D369F7F2630

KLRANGL
May 22, 2012, 03:15 AM
If there are only four parts, why does it look like there are four more topics that are left covered on the board (you can see this at 0:47 seconds on Rapid Fire Part 1 of 2)?

Amsdorf
May 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Like I said, this is the complete movie, perhaps they filmed another one and used the same board to do it?

I don't know.

Keep in mind it was low-tech, low-budget in those days.