PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Pistol Cartridge Rifles

SteelChickenShooter
May 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Can anyone say from direct hands-on experience, if the Ruger model 77 / 44 Mag rotary magazine operates better than the 357 Mag? I was the original owner of a 357 Mag rifle, and the rotary mag was lousy failing to function as it should. Is it well known or not that the 44Mag version works as expected?
Any failures to pop the round up to the top? Perhaps some comments about particular deer hunting loads I should use?

Ozzieman
May 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
I have a 77/44 and my experience has been very positive. The only feeding problems I have had were with some 300+ GR bullets from Penn bullets, they were just too long to fit the magazine. They single shot very well.
My favorite bullet is Penn’s 240 TCBB. Get them with his hard cast and 1500 FPS is no problem with leading. As far as loads I use both 2400 and H110, the guns seems to like both but it likes them HOT but within book suggested loads. The other reason I like the TCBB is that it also works well in a lever action.

http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html

Other than that I have never had a problem with it. One negative aspect to the gun is the magazine. I find the thing to be very difficult to remove quickly and with gloves on,,, Forget it. I have been trying to come up with something to attach to the bottom so that there is something to grab onto.
I wish Ruger would have built it with a box magazine or someone offered an aftermarket.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421367&highlight=77+44

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426921&highlight=77+44

SteelChickenShooter
May 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you for the reply. I replaced the 357 rifle in favor of the 44 for deer. Odd though (perhaps just me) but I visited the Corbon website. I didn't seem to find any details telling me what 44 Mag hunting round options they offer. Penn is a new name to me so I'll check that out. I wonder if the same ammo I use in my 44 Mag revolver is good enough- or if there's a better ammo choice for the rifle.
Thanks again.

SteelChickenShooter
May 19, 2012, 04:31 AM
I had to look again and did find Corbon ammo choices. It's under "retail", then "online store", then "view all", then you can see all the 44Mag selections. Maybe some members here can comment on those choices. As a novice, I seem to like those 300 grain options as opposed to all the common 240 grain ammo typically found in most stores. But heck, I don't know- I guess any one of them would take a deer. Anyway, my scope choice for this bolt action rifle is a small Leupold 2-7X. I really like this stainless steel action, barrel & rings with the thin black synthetic stock. To me, it's one sweet little capable rifle and will serve well up at deer camp. I'm thinking this will be a good 100 yard rifle. You guys think that is about right?

Ozzieman
May 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Penn manufactures bullets only so if you don’t reload they are out.
I don’t shoot factory rounds in my Ruger so I can’t help there.
One round that a friend uses in his 44 is the Hornady levervolution which can be had. He uses them in a contender rifle (forget the name of it) and takes several deer a season.

http://www.hornady.com/store/leverevolution

tulsamal
May 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Your profile doesn't say what state you live in. So it depends on how big your deer are. Are deer in Oklahoma are much smaller than the heavy bodied deer they have in Pennsylvania. I've used a Ruger semi-auto carbine to deer hunt many times with perfect results. Shots on my property are less than 75 yards and you can wait for a broadside shot. Deer are usually 110-130 pounds. So this is no point in some big heavy bullet. They will just punch right through them and keep going. If you can avoid the shoulder and punch right through the ribs, the Sierra 180 grain JHC bullet will give you some amazingly good kills. I know... that bullet was meant for varmints and lighter game. But it will punch right through the ribs and then take out the heart and lungs every time. Just don't expect to use it to shoot through the shoulder.

For more of a general purpose load in the little Ruger, I finally settled on the Hornady 200 grain XTP. It will penetrate any direction on our deer and still expand as well. Has worked great for me out of that rifle. I usually load up one or two boxes of it a year and use it for everything.

Gregg