PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 charging handle install problem

dabluesguy
May 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
I am not very mechanically inclined but I do my best. Took apart my M&P 15 for it's first cleaning with help from YouTube. Everything went fine until I tried to put the charging handle back on. It just won't slide in easy like all the videos show. I googled the problem and searched around for help to no avail. Other forums that I was directed to had the response "Read the manual". I did and it didn't help. Anyone have the easy answer that I'm looking for? (I realize that I'm a dummy.)

Skadoosh
May 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
The charging handle rides in a groove above the bolt carrier using protrusions on either side of the long skinny shaft of the handle and DOES NOT come straight back out of the upper receiver. Instead, there is a small break in the groove near the rear of the receiver that allows the protrusions to drop down and the handle to be removed.

Once you figure it out, you'll kick yourself. Its that easy.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/P1140256-900x601.jpg

dabluesguy
May 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks Skadoosh. You're right..I'm kicking myself. That's why I come to this forum. I always learn something and I get to show everyone what a Dumas (it's french) I am. Thanks again.

Skadoosh
May 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Applies only if you dont ask! Welcome to the AR sickness!!