PDA

View Full Version : EoTech on AR question

kx592
May 3, 2012, 12:59 PM
For those of you who run the 512 and models like it, do you co witness it with the front sight post? does it interfere with the benefits of the holographic capability of not having to align your head like the cheapo ones out there? I have a front sight block so its staying but also want a 512 and was wondering about it.

TMD
May 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
I have a 517A65 but all three of my AR's are flattops. Sorry I can't help.

Stevie-Ray
May 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
I co-witness my 512 with the FSP. I've never had a problem with it. Rear sight is a fold-down, but at one time was a fixed, and BOTH were co-witnessed. Still never had a problem.

RT
May 3, 2012, 01:35 PM
I use a a larue mount for lower 1/3 cowitness and a folding rear sight.
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-eotech-qd-mount-lt-110

FrosSsT
May 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
your going to be higher than the post if your zeroed in at 100+

hoytinak
May 3, 2012, 05:12 PM
I rarely see my front post while looking thru my EoTech....unless I've got the rear sight flipped up and using the irons.

Crow Hunter
May 4, 2012, 07:46 AM
If you see the front post or your rear sight, you aren't using the RDS correctly.

Don't look at the reticle. You focus on the target with both eyes open and superimpose the dot on your target.

The front sight as well as the housing will both "ghost out" and you won't notice them. Just like putting your right hand over your right eye while keeping both eyes open. You "see through" your hand.

You should pretty much see your target with a Red dot or Eotech reticle just floating in space.

If your aren't doing that, you are defeating 75% of the advantage of RDS sights and really limiting it's usefulness.

Remember, they aren't target sights, if you are primarily going to be laying down behind the rifle shooting groups, you will be MUCH more satisfied getting a conventional magnified optic.

The RDS shines when shooting from unconventional positions and/or fast moving close range targets, or shooting in the dark from behind a flashlight.

While they can be used to shoot groups, they aren't the ideal optic for it.

BPowderkeg
May 4, 2012, 10:25 PM
Crow Hunter is spot on, i concur 100%, i am NOT a tactical person, but i love my 512 EOTech when i go plinking, it is co-witnessed with the standard AR-15 FSP, but i never use it that way unless i have moved it to another flat top and have to re-sight it in, maybe i should mention, my EOTech is mounted on a GG&G.., just click on the link, it can tell you far more than my time allows (all night ;))
http://www.gggaz.com/eotech-accucam-quick-detach-mounting-system-for-the-511-512-551-and-552.html