PDA

View Full Version : Ammo prices

BoogieMan
May 2, 2012, 06:25 AM
I am not going to reload. So I buy off the shelf. I am trying to buy a 1911 in 9mm for the cheaper ammo cost. But I am doing a little shopping around and seeing very inexpensive .40, .380 both under $13 for 50. The best I found for 9mm was about $10 for 50. Granted thats a $2-3 diference. But its not huge. Going with 9 would be likegetting every 6th box free.
My question is for those of you who have been buying longer than I. Has the price stayed the same in relationship to one another?
Meaning when 9mm was $5 was .40 $6? And will .45 always run about double the price of 9mm?
Im not looking for self defense ammo prices. I know that varies greatly, but IMO you only need 1 box of that stuff. 39 to test feeding and 11 to fill the mag.

ycastane
May 2, 2012, 07:15 AM
Try ammoengine.com

BoogieMan
May 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
I have and I have found good deals for any particular round, many times my LGS is better than ammoengine. I am wondering more historicly speaking has there always been a big spread? I am buying a 9mm vs a 45 for ammo cost. But if historicaly they are the same price on ammo than I could potentialy get a much better deal on a 45 due to the current ammo prices. Kind of like buying an SUV when gas is expensive. I am looking to by the prius of center fire.

Martowski
May 2, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yes, .45 ACP ammo will likely always be more expensive than .40, and 9mm will be less expensive than both. Been shooting quite awhile and that's pretty much been the trend. When I was buying 9mm for $6/box, .45 seemed to be running $12 - $14.

I own firearms in all three calibers, but own more 9mms due to the cost of shooting.

BoogieMan
May 2, 2012, 09:26 AM
Yes, .45 ACP ammo will likely always be more expensive than .40, and 9mm will be less expensive than both. Been shooting quite awhile and that's pretty much been the trend. When I was buying 9mm for $6/box, .45 seemed to be running $12 - $14.

Thats the answer I was looking for. I think its wise to keep searching for the 9mm guns rather than look towards other calibers. Spend it now or spend it later. With the amount of rounds I plan to cycle through this purchase the cheaper the ammo the better.

Martowski
May 2, 2012, 03:47 PM
Happy hunting! I own an STI Spartan 1911 in 9mm and enjoy it. My blog (link in my signature) contains a decent amount of informal info on the pistols I own. May be of some entertainment value. :)