PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my Remington 700

270redneck
April 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
I recently purchased one of the most recognized hunting rifle in America: The Remington model 700 in 30-06 Springfield caliber. I purchased this weapon at Wal-Mart. With a “Remington” Scope, the price tag was under $500, which is an excellent price for a Remington 700. This particular model is a basic ADL platform. It has the same bolt and action of all the 700s, which gives it the unrivaled out-of-the-box accuracy of any rifle. It also has the new X-Mark Pro trigger now offered on all new Remington 700s. The next platform up, and what all other Model 700s are based on is the BDL. The only difference between the ADL and BDL is the magazine. On an ADL, the magazine is all internal. On a BDL it has a floorplate that can be opened for easier and safer (in my opinion) unloading. Other models take this one step further and include a removable magazine. One of the upgrades available for the ADL is to convert it to a BDL with a floorplate.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81003&stc=1&d=1335731622
This weapon has a basic black synthetic stock. It’s okay, but if you’re going to upgrade to the BDL, you will have to replace the stock with one that has the cutout for the floorplate. And here is where the choices become mind blowing. Many manufacturers make aftermarket stocks in BDL configuration from simple synthetic, wood, wood laminate, thumbhole, and even collapsible stocks.

For my upgrade, I actually chose a Remington Factory stock. The Model 700 XCR II stock, in Olive Drab, with black Hogue rubber overmolding in the fore-end and grip. Add to this the BDL model trigger guard with floorplate, and a new BDL magazine. Total cost for these upgrades was $166.

The first thing to do is remove the old stock, and magazine. The Magazine follower and spring can be reused.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81005&stc=1&d=1335731622
Next I installed the BDL magazine, mounted the stock, and attached the BDL trigger guard. Everything fit nice and snug, and the floorplate pops out with just the right amount of pressure.

Of course, the real test is to load the magazine with 4 rounds. In this case, for safety, I used empty cases. All 4 loaded with no problem, and the floorplate opened to allow unloading without having to cycle the bolt, as with an ADL.

The next upgrades to the rifle included adding a Redfield 3-9X40 scope, and a bi-pod mount on the front. In the next couple of days, I will zero the scope with factory loads, and then begin the process of finding the optimal hunting and target hand loads.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81006&stc=1&d=1335731656

The ADL to BDL upgrade kit can be purchased from Brownells, or you can purchase the individual parts from MidwayUSA and Brownells. Brownells makes the comment that you have to purchase different screws to mount the trigger gaurd, but when I recieved their recommended part, it was the same size as the screw I took out.

I purchased this stock off of Ebay.

AllenJ
April 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Very nice 270redneck, I too am going through a refit of the Walmart ADL 700. It is my sons gun, in 7mm Rem Mag, and he is getting a Remington stock but is going with the Detachable Mags (Remington also) system. His gun has shot very well for us so far and he is really pleased with it. Next time he is over I'll show him this post so he can see what he is working towards.

Picher
May 2, 2012, 09:34 AM
The ADL is not less safe to unload than the BDL, just quicker.

To unload from the ADL magazine after removing the chambered round, point the muzzle upward at about a 45 degree angle and push the bolt forward only as far as necessary to pop the cartridge out of the magazine, then open the bolt and tip the rifle to the right to drop the cartridge into your right hand. Repeat as necessary. (Cartridges don't have to be fully chambered.)

270redneck
May 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
The ADL is not less safe to unload than the BDL, just quicker.
Perhaps my wording was a little too stiff. I didn't mean to imply that the ADL was less safe than the BDL. Only that cycling the bolt to unload can be less safe than dropping a magazine or opening a trap door. Remington's owners manual addresses this. But your point is correct. It is quicker with a trap door.

Marquezj16
May 4, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have been thinking of converting mine from ADL to BDL also but my challenge has been I have the Varmint barrel. Does Remington make Varmint model stocks in their other stocks?

270redneck
May 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
Marquezj16:

This is who I bought my stock from:

panmench (http://www.ebay.com/sch/panmench/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686)

I see that he has varmint stocks, but you'll have to look through to make sure you find the right action.

hooligan1
May 6, 2012, 05:51 PM
You picked a nice stock but I don't like the scope much. The Vortex Diamback for the same money is head and tails better!! And if you took the Redfield back and bought the Vortex I would say you definately upgraded that dude.;)