PDA

View Full Version : good buffer for ar?

woody wood
April 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
i did a ar15 build a while back and when shooting the spring and or buffer are noisy.fired my m&p15 and was alot smother and quiet.
thinking i need to replace buffer that came in the lower kit i bought that was a del ton. im sure that buffer was a cheap one the put in it.

any advise? i see spikes sells a few. not looking to spend over $50.00

pturner67
April 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
get the spikes st-t2 buffer (tungsten)...I don't think there's a better buffer on the market

JeffSSig
April 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
I dont think the buffer its self will make more or less noise. The spring can and most likely the the buffer tube is the noise maker.
What parts did you you use on the build? PSA?

woody wood
April 23, 2012, 08:47 AM
buffer and spring are from a delton lower kit.
what are the different buffer weights about- performance? or are they just
for more weight in back?
i see spikes has three different models and
so does colt.

i am thinking of changing out spring also.i think that is what is making the twang noise.

Technosavant
April 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
Changing out the spring and buffer won't get rid of the twang. Some folks have tried things to greater or lesser success, but ultimately that's just a side effect of the rifle design.

To truly eliminate it you'd probably be talking some type of hydraulic buffer design. I haven't investigated those, however.

moxie
April 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
See:

http://www.gundigest.com/rifle-reviews-articles/gunsmithing-the-ar-3-tips-for-buffers-recoil-springs?et_mid=551103&rid=233361673

Ridge_Runner_5
April 23, 2012, 08:01 PM
Changing the buffer is only really good for adjusting the cycling rate and tuning the ejection pattern of the gun.

Fishbed77
April 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
get the spikes st-t2 buffer (tungsten)...I don't think there's a better buffer on the market

This. ^^^

madcratebuilder
April 24, 2012, 04:44 AM
Some of the commercial size tubes have a higher Db over the mil-spec tubes, extruded 6000 series aluminum vs forged 7075. The one commercial carbine tube I had (Bushmaster) became quieter when I installed a LMT RE. Noticeable difference.

Coating the spring with a heavy grease can help reduce noise but it's messy.

Fishbed77
April 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Coating the spring with a heavy grease can help reduce noise but it's messy.

It's my understanding that you should try to keep the buffer tube as dry as possible.

That said, as I mentioned above, I've found that using the Spikes ST-T2 buffer dramatically (but not completely) reduces the SPROIIIIIINNG sound when firing.

madcratebuilder
April 25, 2012, 05:14 AM
It's my understanding that you should try to keep the buffer tube as dry as possible.

Dry is the 23&P recommended procedure but some people have been greasing the springs for as long as I have been around these rifles, 1966 or so. It's messy and can accumulate dirt. How bad to want to reduce the noise?

Wearing hearing protection I'm surprised anyone hears anything.:)

woody wood
April 25, 2012, 07:18 AM
thanks for the reply everone-keep the coming if you have any advise.

the noise doesent seem to bother me as much as how cheap it sounds to
me, and wondering if it could be shortning life of something. it does seem to slam.
i will have to weigh the buffer.

semi_problomatic
April 26, 2012, 10:09 AM
The grating noise when the AR is charged is like fingers down a chalk board to me. I'm going to get a different spring and see if that helps. Might try some dry lube spray first though.

dvdcrr
April 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
I used to notice the sound but now when I shoot I don't think I hear it at all, just my brain blocks it out. Another way to get rid of the sproing sound is to shoot an AK-74.:D

Uncle Malice
April 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
I've noticed the weights in a lot of buffers rattle around inside of them. PSA is an example. Not a big deal, but just annoying to me. Many people have told me this is normal... Well, my Daniel Defense, ASA, and even my Ruger SR556 don't do it.

I agree with the Spike's T-2 buffer. I used that for my ASA SBR project and there is zero noise to it.

Wahoo95
April 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
I coat mine with dri lube.....never an issue

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2