PDA

View Full Version : Calling Trapdoor Springfield owners

shafter
April 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
Good evening,

I am trying to disassemble an original Trapdoor Springfield, Model 1884. I have removed the barrel and the trigger guard but I'm wondering if there is anything I should worry about in removing the side plate. Does it just come right off or are there springs that can pop out if I remove it? I want to obtain some replacement parts because the hammer clicks as its being drawn back but when the trigger is pulled there it doesn't fall forward like it should.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

l.cutler
April 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
I guess you mean removing the lock? It should come right out, but there is a proper way to do it. Loosen the screws a few turns and remove the lock by lightly tapping the screw heads with a wooden mallet or something similar. This will loosen the lock without damaging the lock inlet in the stock. Your lock should cock back three clicks to the firing position, it may just be gummed up.

shafter
April 21, 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks. I think there is something broken because the hammer is very sloppy. When it is fully down I can lift the muzzle towards the ceiling and the hammer will fall backwards. The plate seems very tight and I'm wondering if maybe something is broken near the mainspring which is causing it to put pressure against the stock. Sound plausible?

Hawg
April 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
The spring lug where it goes thru the lock plate is probably broken off. I had that problem with my 1884.

Hellgate
April 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
I had t replace my tumbler in a TD carbine and afterward there were only TWO positions of cock rather than the 3 on the original tumbler. Gun still works fine but it now has 1/2 and full cock only. Parts were from S&S Firearms.

shafter
April 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
Is the tumbler the little piece on the bottom of the mainspring?

Hellgate
April 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
I may not have this right (reliant on memory which is fallible): the tumbler has the notches cut into it to catch the trigger sear like the hammer on a revolver but is not part of the hammer. Any more than that I have to see an exploded diagram. It was at least 5 years ago that I did the repair.

shafter
April 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Ok thanks. I think that's what I was thinking of.

pohill
April 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
I bought this reprinted manual for my 50-70. Maybe they have one for your model.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=687

shafter
April 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks Pohil. I'll look into it.