PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for sighting in a Red Dot?

TheRaskalKing
April 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
Hey all,

I'm planning on heading to the range tomorrow to sight in my new bushnell TRS25 red dot. It's going on a standard Ruger 10/22. I've never zeroed in a red dot before, though I understand what to do. Any helpful tips or techniques you all would recommend? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and what distance would you recommend sighting at? It's just a plinker/range gun, so I was thinking 50 yards.

Sarge
April 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
First, read the instructions and have them on hand at the bench.

Second, make sure you have all the tools to tighten mounts, make adjustments etc. before you head out to shoot. Some dots have allen or torx head adjusting screws.

Third- start close. Get it essentially zeroed at 25 yards before you move back.

And finally, use a big enough target that your dot doesn't totally obscure it, particularly beyond 50 yards.

SteelChickenShooter
April 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
If possible use a buddy and a secure rest, Aim the dot on center of a large target and fire. Then, while keeping the dot on center and steady, have your buddy adjust the dot to match the hole you made at 25 yards. You can do it yourself with maybe two or three shots or more if you can hold it right while adjusting. I've often done it myself with several shots. Since I can't adjust both directions without moving the rifle, I adjust one direction first, then fire again, When I see one direction is corrected, and the hits are in line vertical or horizontal, I then proceed to make the second adjustment.
My point is that if you can effectively adjust your dot to match the hole you made, it's a pretty good way to get on target.