PDA

View Full Version : G27 Gen4 Unsupported chamber

Vermonter
April 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
What is the hottest ammo that is safe to run in this? I am thinking FMJ with as much juice as I can get.

Regards, Vermonter

tjhands
April 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
What the heck are you talking about?

Get some 180g Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot and be done with it.

You are waaaaay over-worrying the "unsupported chamber" bullcrap. Why'd you even buy a Glock in .40SW if you're just gonna fret about having an exceedingly rare Ka-boom with it?

And what difference would it make if you shoot hot FMJ? Why do you think that'd be safer?

Double Impact
April 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
LOL:D Kaboom Ha! Ha!

David the Gnome
April 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/howaglockworks.gif

:D

gyvel
April 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

rotflmao!!!!

Hammerhead
April 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
No worries with a gen 3 or gen 4 Glock .40.
It should be GTG with any factory ammo.

RT
April 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231013
If you want "juice" get a G29

Vermonter
April 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
I dont know how rare the issue is. This why I asked the question. I have my reasons. I have a load that is my carry load. I am wandering if the buffalo bore or similar pressure loads are safe in my firearm.

Dashunde
April 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
The area on my G27 that could be considered "unsupported" is less than a millimeter.

Mystro
April 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
I carry the 27 and 20. I always shoot the hottest factory loads out of the 27. This unsupported chamber crap is another Internet histaria. I use Corbon and Winchester Silvertips. I want 500ft/lbs as close to my 10mm in the ultra compact 27. It is noticeably smaller than the 29. I have owned them all and found the 27 the smallest size to power combination for my in and out of woods CC gun.

Vermonter
April 21, 2012, 07:13 PM
You got my reason. Basically I was thinking of a woods round for the G27. I was thinking Buffalo Bore but there is a wanrning specific to Glock on their sight.

Mystro
April 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
I am a hardcore bow hunter and my Glock 27 is my back up because its light and holds a lot of rounds. I can personally vouch for the Winchester 155 Silvertips as a great woods round. 500ft/lbs and very acurate. It hits harder than a 357mag. I have seen what it can do on a whitetail and I feel very confident. I live in a rual area with a lot of black bears and think the 155jhp is a good trade off in speed and weight.

Dashunde
April 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
I was thinking Buffalo Bore but there is a wanrning specific to Glock on their sight.

I was wondering about that too. They should show a photo with measurements of what would be undesireable.

There really isnt much or any unsupported area on mine, I cant imagine it making any difference.

And I totally agree that the G27 is a really potent little package.
Its also nice that its solid, simple and inexpensive.

Vermonter
April 22, 2012, 09:47 PM
I will look into these. I am thinking that the G27 might just suffice for a woods gun.

GunFooMaster
April 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
What is the hottest ammo that is safe to run in this? I am thinking FMJ with as much juice as I can get.

I know that Glock's .40 cal is not AS supported as some aftermarket barrels.

I have a plethora of Glock parts.
1)There is more wiggle/play in a Glock chamber then a non-Glock barrel chamber. A tight fit with the same exterior dimension means more meat and more support when the gunpowder goes "Bang!"
2)The feed ramp on a Glock exposes more brass than that of a non-Glock barrel.

If you are worries about the "support issue", I say get a replacement barrel. But there should be no issues with factory loads.

FALshootist
April 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
I foolishly sold my first G27 to a friend. I got a second and foolishly let my son have it. Both of those guns were used with the hotest factory 180 gn loads we could find with no problem.

If you have a real concern PM me and if you'll sell for less than my police price I'll consider taking it off your hands

MythBuster
April 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Look at your fired brass. If they clearly show swelling at the the bottom rear of the case then YOUR chamber lacks the proper support. Most of the Glock .40 pistols made in the last 8 or 10 years will not show any sign of this problem.

IF yours does then you have a problem. Don't shoot it again.

Tactical Jackalope
April 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
@ David the Gnome

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

Vermonter
April 24, 2012, 07:10 PM
The gun preforms flawlessly I was just concerned with the Buffalo Bore warning on their sight.

DragonDog
April 25, 2012, 08:27 PM
Look at your fired brass. If they clearly show swelling at the the bottom rear of the case then YOUR chamber lacks the proper support. Most of the Glock .40 pistols made in the last 8 or 10 years will not show any sign of this problem.

I have a brand new Gen 3 G27. I don't reload .40 and I haven't taken the calipers to it, but to my eyes there is a slight but definite bulge at the base of a fired case. Any brand ammo. I think it's just the tradeoff they take for completely reliable feeding at the ramp.

Here's a pic, taken by me, just now:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80882&d=1335404961

745SW
April 26, 2012, 03:41 AM
I have zero pistols in 40S&W but know of issues with this cartridge. Glock appears to have changed the case head exposer sometime ago, perhaps sometime after the year 2000. Case head exposer combined with a heavy bullet set back is not a good condition for this cartridge.

MythBuster
April 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Recently the State Police used our range to qualify. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket about half full of .40 brass fired from their Glocks.

None have this bulge.

Master Blaster 2
April 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
Glocks are great.

presspics
April 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Follow Buffalo Bores warning..They know their ammo better than anyone else. If they say it's bad for Glocks then don't use it in a Glock.