PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Savage Barrel questions.

deadcoyote
April 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
I own a couple of Savage Rifles, a 10FP and a 10FCM. I've been considering buying a bolt rifle in .300 win mag, can't find what I'm after on savage's website (heavier barrel, no flash hider). I see a lot of Savage 110's in .300 win mag used on gunsamerica etc. in the $350 to $400 range. Me thinks this is a recipe for a good starting point to do an aftermarket barrel. Looked at ER shaw's site, I read alot of mixed reviews though. most my stuff is factory, who's a good aftermarket barrel company? Shilen? Green Mountain?

PawPaw
April 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
McGowen makes pre-fit (http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog7.htm)barrels for Savage.

4-D Products (http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage-new.php) sells pre-fit barrels for Savage.

Lots of guys swear by Pac Nor pre-fit (http://www.pac-nor.com/prefit/) barrels.

Shilen (http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html) also provides
pre fit barrels for Savage rifles.

Lots of companies make barrels for the Savage 10/110 actions.

PawPaw
April 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
How could I forget Sharp Shooter Supply (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/)? He supplies both Brux and Douglas pre-fit barrels for Savage, along with aftermarket triggers and stocks.

Nathan
April 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Those are good options for tubes. Savage used to make a 12BVSS in 300 WSM. That was a heck of a shooter!

I think they used to make a 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag.

They also still make the 110 FCP HS Precision. My friend has this one in 308. It is a superb shooter.

Txhillbilly
April 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
There are many mfg's that make Savage replacement barrels as PawPaw listed.
E.R. Shaw barrels are a great value,and a pretty good barrel.I have had a few in the past,and all of them would shoot sub-moa groups out of my guns.Unless your planning on competing,the Shaw will work great,and save you some $$$.

There are some pretty good group buys on E.R.Shaw barrels here sometimes.I ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 in varmint contour from them last month for $158 ea.

http://www.gunshack.com/savagebarrels

deadcoyote
April 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
I actually didn't have time to repost yesterday. After weighing all the options, I actually think the 10/110 HS Precision in 300 is the best bet. The go for around $950, and that looks to be about what I could do a used rifle and aftermarket barrel upgrade for. I didn't realize it was without a flash hider until I saw an asterix notation on the savage website.

Saltydog235
April 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
I contacted ER Shaw a while back about a heavy barreled version in 7mm08. I was also talking to custom makers and being completely honest with them about the Shaw build. I can''t speak from experience but the comments I got from those builders were "I wouldn't use a Shaw barrel for a fence post", "Shaw barrels don't even make good pipe clamps", or "Those barrels don't make decent billy clubs". People will say anything to get business but I've never heard a company more run down than they were. Either that means they are really good and priced at a bargain or they suck really bad.

The good thing is you have a ton of options out there to fit a Savage action. Good luck on the choice, sounds like a fun project.

deadcoyote
April 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
Salty, I also have never used any Shaw barrels. To be fair to Shaw, I'll say I am a big Savage rifle supporter. Alot of die hard Remington 700 guys nay-say savage all the time. One of my best buddies is this way. Even though my factory 10FP outshoots his Custom Remington 700 which was twice the cost, he won't admit it at all. I think it's a basic pride issue where if you get super invested into something on a personal level you never want to have to admit you were wrong. Could be the same with barrels. Just my 2 cents.

Bill Daniel
April 17, 2012, 12:30 PM
I am in the process of changing my Savage FCP from Win. 308 to Rem 260 and chose the Criterion prefit from Northland Shooters Supply. The barrel is a button rifled barrel spin off company of Krieger Barrels. Jim Briggs at NSS is a good fellow to deal with and gets alot of good press at the Savage Shooters web site.
All the Best,
Bill Daniel

thickstrings
April 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
NSS #1 ...I'd go with the Criterian/Kreiger

p5200
April 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
I have a 10fp in .223 with the factory 1:9" twist and thought about putting a good match grade barrel on it. How much heavier bullets could I use if I went to a 1:7" twist barrel and how much further effective range for target shooting might I gain? This is strictly for informal shooting just for my own amusement. I also, thought about changing to .308 either one I will be reloading my own rounds for as I do at present. :)

hoffbill
April 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
P5200 I suggest looking at a ballistic chart for various .223 bullets. I think the 1:7 twist will not necessarily increase your range. What it does do is stabilize heavier bullets so you can shoot 75 to 90 grain bullet accurately with it. However in going to heavier bullets you will give up some velocity. So depending on how you are planning to use it, at some point you might want to consider going to a larger caliber such as .243 or 6mm to have higher velocity with the larger bullets.

As an example of what the different size bullets will do for velocity, my .223 shoots 50gr VMax at 3300 fps, my .243 shoots 58gr VMax at 3800 frs. The end result on a coyote is virtually identical. However the .243 can also shoot 95 gr hunting bullets for deer and hogs, the .223 can not.

What I do when choosing a bullet and caliber is go the most any bullet or ammo manufacturer web site or my ballistics app on my smart phone and look at the ballistic chart for various rounds. If you are not familiar with those they will show you things like velocity, retained energy, and bullet drop at various ranges.

coWSMasher
April 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
shilen would be a great choice in my books.

Mobuck
April 22, 2012, 06:40 AM
Most "gunsmiths" have their favorite barrel maker and/or the line from which they have the best potential for profit. I don't F with those guys. I pay the man to do what I ask him to do. If I ask for his opinion, that's one thing but if I ask him to install an XX brand barrel and he gives me that line, I just thank him for his time and go elsewhere.
The shop that I use has installed everything from used military barrels to high end match grade barrels for me w/o a peep and all with equal quality results(excellent BTW).
I've used several A&B barrels from MidwayUSA and all have been adequate for my needs. I even did a couple of Savage barrels myself and was very satisfied with the accuracy especially the 25/06.

Ronbo1
April 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
I do have a E. R. Shaw stainless fluted barrel 24 inch in 204 Ruger and it shoots into 1/2 inch at 100 yards with 32 grain v-max bullet reloads. At least I think it is a Shaw barrel when Midway sold Savage barrels under some other trade name, was listed on a closeout for $110. Also am happy with a Sharp Shooter Supply stainless 17 Rem barrel but this one was just over $300

Saltydog235
April 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Salty, I also have never used any Shaw barrels. To be fair to Shaw, I'll say I am a big Savage rifle supporter. Alot of die hard Remington 700 guys nay-say savage all the time. One of my best buddies is this way. Even though my factory 10FP outshoots his Custom Remington 700 which was twice the cost, he won't admit it at all. I think it's a basic pride issue where if you get super invested into something on a personal level you never want to have to admit you were wrong. Could be the same with barrels. Just my 2 cents.

Very true. My Savages flat out shoot with the rifle I own costing 2X-4X as much. They are ugly tools built for function over form. The simplicity of the entire system is a benefit that many downplay until they get schooled by one at the range.