PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 .30-06; Inadequate Scope?

NXMR
April 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

I've got an old Savage .30-06 that needs a scope.

I'm considering putting a Bushnell 7-4124 (4x12-40) on it, as this is a scope that I've got sitting around collecting dust. I know it's not a high-dollar scope, but the beauty of it is that I don't have to spend any money on it.

Is that scope adequate for my .30-06 (will it handle the recoil, etc.) or should I just not even bother with it and get a better scope?

Thanks!

Striker1
April 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
I don't think there is any way to know except to get out and test it on your rifle.

dvdcrr
April 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'd splurge 165 bucks and get a weaver. Then there's no question.

big al hunter
April 12, 2012, 01:02 AM
I second striker, test it on your gun. If it fails, oh well no loss. Then if accuracy or blurred lenses or any other problems arise go to http://vortexoptics.com and pick a real scope with a real good warranty. I prefer the Viper line but avoid the crossfire line. Diamondback line is good middle of the road $/ quality.

globemaster3
April 12, 2012, 06:10 AM
It's hard to say what kind of quality you have in that scope. I went to the Bushnell website and tried that model number with and without the dash and nothing came up.

The Elite series are known as good quality scopes. The Banner series is lesser in quality and seem to be hit or miss (pun intended).

Since it sounds like cost might be an issue, why not mount it and try it since you already own it. If you find the clarity not so good or it doesn't hold zero, you will get opinions galore on recommendations for a new scope.

If you don't mind buying a new one straight away, let us know.

whippoorwill
April 12, 2012, 06:18 AM
It should work fine.

NXMR
April 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks to all the replies so far. I'll mount it up and head to the range this weekend.

Globemaster3, sorry, I typed the number wrong it's a model 71-4124

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/banner/

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bush-rs-bnr-714124.html

An El-Cheapo, for sure, but I can't imagine shooting a whitetail any further away than a couple hundred yards or so.

Thanks again all, other comments welcome.

BigMikey76
April 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
You already have the scope? Seems like a no brainer to me! Give it a chance. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out, at which point, you are out nothing.

PawPaw
April 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
That Bushnell will probably be fine, although you must be aware that the Savage Long Action is measured in light-years. It's a very long action. I've got a Weaver K6 on my Savage 110 (.30-06) and I had to use extended bases and rings to get the scope far enough back for proper eye relief. Once mounted, it was fine and I haven't had to tinker with it. It's my go-to rifle for the deer woods, but Lordy, I scratched my head for a while trying to get that scope mounted far enough to the rear that I could see through it.

http://dezendorf.us/images/30063.jpg

sc928porsche
April 12, 2012, 08:32 AM
To answer your question.........yes. I will hold up to the recoil of a 30/06 just fine. I have one mounted on a savage 110E in 7mm mag and it has worked well for close to 20 years. It is a banner 4-12x40.

NXMR
April 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks again all - can't thank you enough sorry if I've missed anyone.

Paw Paw - I've got that bad boy mounted up and boresighted (hillbilly style, can't afford any fancy equipment so it's 30 feet and a target taped to the wall. Wife don't like it but look at the money I'm saving - lol). Yeah it is a long stretch between where I can put my rings on that rifle. It comes in just barely over but it does go on! When she gets home I'll see if I can try and post a pic. Not sure where to host the image and all that jazz.

sc928porsche thanks for your post too. I was reading on the net about how a lot of folks use that cheap scope I've got on their air rifles so I was a little worried that it wasn't made to withstand much recoil. I think it's pretty safe to say if yours hangs on just fine under a 7mm recoil, my little '06 shouldn't be a problem.

Dyin' to get to the range with this new setup.

ms6852
April 13, 2012, 12:17 AM
I've got a model 110c Savage in 30-06 I bought almost 30 years ago. I put a bushnell banner in 3-9x40 the same time I bought the rifle. That scope has been more than adequate up to 700 yds. Furthest mulie I shot was approximately 475 yds. So to answer your question YES, it is enough.

Striker1
April 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've got a model 110c Savage in 30-06 I bought almost 30 years ago. I put a bushnell banner in 3-9x40 the same time I bought the rifle. That scope has been more than adequate up to 700 yds. Furthest mulie I shot was approximately 475 yds. So to answer your question YES, it is enough.

The only possible issue I can see with that is if the Banner is still made the same way by the same company it was 30 years ago? Ya know how things change over the years.

bn12gg
April 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Heck, you have the Bushnell in a drawer-- go with it. I've got one on a Browning SA22 and the optic is pretty good so far as I'm concerned. If it fails on a 30 06, it fails-- you've not lost much other than a $50 scope. If it works until you croke then you win!

.02 David :)

hoffbill
April 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
It's not like you can't take it off and put something else on if you don't like it. It's not welded on.:D

Rifleman1776
April 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
You live in Tennessee. Your hunting country is probably not much different than here in the Arkansas Ozarks. IMHO, a 4X or stronger is simply too much scope. I reject the idea of a powerful scope that "can pull them in". For woods hunting the main objective is to get the deer in your sights first. While I have a 3X9 on my 30-06 the shot on the deer I took at 80 yards last season was almost a guesstimate for placment, the animal was simply too large in my sight picture. I had a rifle with a 1.5X5 scope and consider that ideal for woods hunting. And, think about it, at 5X even a 300 yard shot brings the animal to within and effective visual distance of 60 yards, essentiallly open sight range. And the low powers do better on light transmission. That would be my reccomendation, a 1.5X5.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
April 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
NXMR said: I'm considering putting a Bushnell 7-4124 (4x12-40) on it,

Why not give it a try. It just may turn out to be the last scope you'll ever want to put on that weapon. If it doesn't work out. I'm sure there are encouraging words here on TFLF to steer you into a better selection more suitable to your needs, if that occasion arises. Which ever way you decide to go. "No harm no foul." I myself support your decision 100%_:)_SSMcG

homesick
April 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
Put it try it I am sure it will be fine. You use the same bore sighter as I do LOL:)

ms6852
April 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Stryker1 you are right things aren't made the same as they were 30 years ago. In many cases the technology is greatly advanced in other cases profit rules over pride and quality control.

I bought a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42 BDC and it really sucks. The glass is clear but parallax is awful beyond 100 yds. I like to zero at 200 yds but cannot do it with the Nikon scope. Emailed Nikon twice took them over a week to respond and told me what I already knew. My old bushnell banner never had the issue this scope has. Unfortunately I had it on a 22lr and never saw the problem until I mounted it on a different rifle and wanted to zero at 200 yds. No can do.
Thanks for nothing Nikon.

RC20
April 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Try the scope and see. The Savages are accurate, so it there is an issue its likely the scope.

I think Leupold is the way to go.

Great glass, decent price and an unlimited lifetime warranty. Nice its US made.

If not into super accuracy, i.e. good solid hunting scope, the Redfield line is excellent. Leupold bought them out and its now their base scope basically the hunting line. Lower price. Same warranty and that will never change now.

Kreyzhorse
April 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
Bushnell makes decent scopes. Put it on and see if it how it holds zero and handles the recoil and you'll have your answer.

PawPaw is right about the length of the action on that Savage. You might have to tinker with your rings and bases if your scope doesn't have a long tube.