PDA

View Full Version : Iranian 30.06 surplus ammo ( 1965 )

Marine1955
April 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have any range information on this ammo ?...FPS, accuracy, reloadable, Berdan primers, etc...Thanks, Larry

RC20
April 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
I belive it has fit issues in SAMI chamber 3006, setup for military chamber which is looser. Its purely a military round.

Details to come when I shoot some (not mine). Pretty good stuff if you have a 1903. I don't think corrosive but not sure.

Marine1955
April 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks RC...I have a five digit Remington M1 ( 92654 ) I just bought in a garage sale...I didn't realize the cost of surplus ammo ( if you can still find it ) had gone up so much...Thanks for the info...Larry

Tim R
April 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
I have a five digit Remington M1 ( 92654 ) I just bought in a garage sale...

Larry could you give a little more detail on this or is it a 03? And the '06 is slim. I should have bought more from the CMP.

Marine1955
April 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
Tim...It's an M1 Garand, mfg date for this serial number is Nov. 1940...Everything appears original except the barrel which reads " Federal Ordnance Inc SEM CA "...SEM is South El Monte, Ca...I carried an International Harvester M1 in the Corps...very accurate once you have established good dope...

RC20
April 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
My brother has gotten into 1903s. His are more or less what you would call re-production as he is assembly them into a period correct guns but not with original components.

What has really come of it is that there are almost no correct guns, as unlike the civie side, the military re-built and repaired as needed.

Upshot is that a mismatches gun with a pedigree is actually "correct" and the pristine ones are anomalies.

We have seen where historians are moving out of the purity thing and into reality of what was (context based) . History and military weapons are an anomaly in that regard as they did not fight with pure versions. A pure version never saw battle and is not correct.

Upshot (pun) is that I think the value of the guns will increase for those that exhibit what was normal.

I picked up a 20s era 1903 from my step dad, it had original drilling and tapping on it for a Winchester scope, receiver and barrel are date correct, bolt is not, floor plate is not (and put in a sporter stock). There is a story there. I love those guns with stories.

All good stuff.

Marine1955
April 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
RC...Thousands of surplus M1's were given to Greece, South Korea, and Iran post ww2, along with millions of rounds...We got most of that stuff back and was put on the market after refurbishing at various weapon mfrs like Fed Ord and HRC...

I must say that my M1 issued in 1955 was " pristine " after I spent several hours cleaning off the cosmoline and another couple of hours rubbing linseed oil into the stock and forearms...loved that rifle...been looking for one the last couple of years and finally found this one in a garage sale...Guy was a former ww2 Marine and had the rifle on display only in his home for 35 years...barrel looks to be brand new...bet this rifle has a story to tell, considering they had to replace the barrel after the war...

I like the '03 for long distance shooting ( 600-1000 yds ) with iron sights...most accurate rifle I have ever fired...my eyes can't handle much over 300 yds now using iron sights...the 20's era .03 you have is a fantastic rifle, still holds the open sights yardage accuracy for 1000 yards...Larry