PDA

View Full Version : Mindfullness of where your guns are

C0untZer0
April 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
Here is a case where a Detroit woman shot and killed 1 of 4 home invaders, but because she had a gun in her purse, and left her purse downstairs, she inadvertantly armed the intruders:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Detroit-woman-kills-intruder-in-her-home/-/1719418/10275688/-/aict7s/-/index.html

I've heard on this forum where gun owners have multiple guns stashed in different places around their home, this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic.

kraigwy
April 7, 2012, 11:24 PM
All my guns are in the gun safe except for the 642 in my pocket.

Baba Louie
April 7, 2012, 11:53 PM
...this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic. Purses get grabbed. Autos get broken into, as do homes. 2 out of those 3 might not be good places to leave your firearm unattended. (OK 3 out of 3 are bad places to leave firearms unattended)

Given enough time your safe is not safe but a time delay tactic. Some bad guys might look in the kitchen pantry for valuables or hall linen closet. Maybe. Probably not much to pawn there tho'. Once they do find your gun safe (assuming you're not in the house when this occurs mind you) if they are determined enough and have some time to spare, it too, is toast.

But pros are pros, nothing is safe once they decide to gain possession.

Buzzcook
April 8, 2012, 11:36 PM
It's all about time. Or at least that's the argument for leaving guns secreted about the place. If something happens suddenly you'll always be near a gun.

Personally I think time is better saved by making it harder for people to get into ones home.

ScotchMan
April 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not.

Neal_G.
April 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not
This. I'd rather have one gun on me, secure and easily within reach, than several un-secured guns spread throughout my place. Also, having several weapons around the house would be impossible for people with kids. I have a baby boy and am getting a small handgun safe during the summer beore he starts crawling. My handguns will be secured in the safe, or on my person.

Course if I was single, or had a 'empty nest' with my wife then it wouldn't be as big a deal to have a gun in different rooms.

rha600
April 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
If the bad guys break in my front door (good luck breaking in the hurricane slider in the back) and go right to the cushion on the sofa and find the gun under there before I get to one of the other 2 guns I have hidden, then they deserve to be armed.

elwaynum1
April 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
If the bad guys break in my front door (good luck breaking in the hurricane slider in the back) and go right to the cushion on the sofa and find the gun under there before I get to one of the other 2 guns I have hidden, then they deserve to be armed.

Where exactly do you live?? :D

Oysterboy
April 9, 2012, 12:52 PM
I have two pistols (9mm and 40sw) and I'd like having to keep track of only one. The other one is in the locked drawer but the lock ain't pick proof. I've thought of selling the 9mm but I can't part with it.

Ever heard of anyone not wanting to part with his Sigma 9mm? :rolleyes:

C0untZer0
April 9, 2012, 02:05 PM
^ Cheapershooter's #1 Rule

Grant D
April 9, 2012, 02:26 PM
I always have my LCP or a snubbie in my pocket, even doing yard work. (snakes) But I have a Walther P-38 on the side of my bed, and a single action 22 revolver in the kitchen with rat shot in it. I never leave anything in the living area by the front door.

RBid
April 9, 2012, 04:28 PM
The PPQ is locked in a safe, and my PF-9 lives on me. It's comfortable enough to carry that it's no trouble wearing it full time.

I would never consider hiding weapons around my residence.

Sponge14
April 9, 2012, 05:42 PM
Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not.

2 of the many reasons I don't...
1 - If I feel that I need to be armed in my own home, I'm moving.
2 - Why do I want to have a holster on under my pajamas? That's a bit uncomfortable

I have guns stored around the house, but mainly one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.

Nnobby45
April 9, 2012, 06:08 PM
I've heard on this forum where gun owners have multiple guns stashed in different places around their home, this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic.

You've managed to confuse me. The woman had a spare gun that probably saved her from being murdered , after a violent assault, to eliminate her as a witness---especially if she recognized any of her attackers. How does the video "highlight" the spare gun as a bad practice? It appears to do just the opposite.

I have a spare gun on my person when carrying in public, and an appropriate number in my home at strategic places so I'm not cut off from a weapon no matter where entry is made.

Of course, ol' retired guys like me are often accused of being paranoid. Personally, I think it's just because I know I'm not invincible like I was in my whippersnapper days.:cool:

C0untZer0
April 9, 2012, 11:57 PM
^ I think it's better to have one gun and keep it with you than to have 2 guns and give one of them to your attackers...

Nnobby45
April 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
I think it's better to have one gun and keep it with you than to have 2 guns and give one of them to your attackers...

Putting a gun where the location is known only to me isn't exactly giving a gun to an attacker. Of course, if you're oblivious to an intruder rumaging around your house for as long as he likes, he might find the gun.

In this woman's case, the gun in the purse was likely irrelevent. She was alone with three males with evil on their minds. Robbing her was the nicest thing they were going to do. Those who prefer the gun on their person while at home might serve as good examples for her in the future. Doubt that her neighborhood is going to get safer anytime soon.

I don't know why we need to argue about the subject, since having access to another weapon is just a matter of personal choice, dictated by our family situations. It's not appropriate to have loaded guns stashed in every household. On the other hand, a small quick access safe would make sense in most homes for guns in different loctions, or just one gun.

But not as good as the gun on your person all the time.

rha600
April 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
Where exactly do you live??

:p You still have to go to the correct room, with the correct sofa, to the correct cushion, and all before I grap the .357 in the night stand next to me.

Oh and also before the man eating, blood thirsty 5 pound Maltese chases you down and bites your little toe off. :D

rha600
April 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
2 of the many reasons I don't...
1 - If I feel that I need to be armed in my own home, I'm moving.
2 - Why do I want to have a holster on under my pajamas? That's a bit uncomfortable

I have guns stored around the house, but mainly one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.

3 - If you're married or have a "pre-wife" living with you that does not go to bed when you do, what does she do when she's sitting in the living room across the house and you are in the bedroom, sleeping, with the gun?

4 - See above for other member of the house, and again, what does she do when you leave for work in the morning and she's still in bed and you have the gun?

I guess in both of the above situations you both could be carrying (although you'd have to get her to get her permit, which trying to get a woman to do what you want is...well impossible. haha) but I think it goes back to point #1. If I feel either or both of us needed to be armed in the house, I'm moving. The weapons I have "stashed" are few and in what I consider a normal place. ie. in the night stand.

ScotchMan
April 10, 2012, 09:03 AM
If the wife/pre-wife is concerned with being armed, she'll get a permit and have a weapon and a plan. If she isn't, no amount of me making guns available to her is going to matter. I'm responsible for me, and for others, but I'm not responsible for making others responsible for themselves.

C0untZer0
April 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
The news report made a point of saying the home owner had a concealed weapons permit, but to the best of my knowledge, you don't need a CWP to have a firearm in your home in Michigan.

doofus47
April 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
Czero: Here is a case where a Detroit woman shot and killed 1 of 4 home invaders, but because she had a gun in her purse, and left her purse downstairs, she inadvertantly armed the intruders

One time, in band camp... One of my friends was leaving my apartment after having dinner with me and a bunch of friends. She had her purse snatched while on my side walk out front as she was leaving. She chased the snatcher; I chased her; 2 other punks who were hiding in the bushes chased me. She caught him. We ended up in a 5 up street fight. She got into a tugging match over the purse. It exploded all over the street. 90 secs later after a broken bottle, a swinging belt, a lot of people watching and my crippled Nigerian roommate coming to the rescue waving his crutches, and some distant sirens, the thugs left.
She told me later that her dad gave her a pistol to carry in her purse... If that had been in there when that purse dumped all over the street, I don't think that even the younger, faster me would have ever beaten 3 punks to it.

If it's not on you; it's not in your control. my 2c.

kraigwy
April 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
As to guns scattered all over the house.

It's quite comforting to know when my grandkids bring their buddies to Grandpa's house, that try as they may, they can't get into my gun safe.

Young children do have a tendency to get into and find things they shouldn't.

It's a great fear of mind that some child would be injured because he found one of my guns I thought was hidden.

As to home invasions: It seems that one will never know what he/she is doing or where he is when some bandit kicks in the door. Are you setting on the couch watching TV, are you in the kitchen making a sandwich, are you setting at the desk doing taxes????

Just how many guns do you need to scatter about the house to be prepared????

I think one, that being in my pocket. If I'm in the shower my pants are hanging on a peg next to the towels, if I'm napping, my pants are on the bedpost.

As to "If I have to carry around the house I'd move";

That's living in dream land. Where are you going to move where there isn't any home invasions?????

I'm an old dude, lots of old people scattered across the country. Old dudes (including me) seem to have meds so they can get older. Dopers know old people have meds, dopers kick in doors to find meds.

My daughter lives in a gated community. She's not old, but she's listed as a doctor. Granted she's a chiropractor and chiropractors don't normally keep meds but dopers don't know that, Dopers assume Doctors have meds.

I live in a rural area, pretty safe, doubt anyone is going to kick in my door, but there is still times I'm glad I carry constantly, I've whacked rattlers under my steps, I've whacked coyotes trying to eat my chickens, I've shot dogs chasing my horses.

We do have an honor farm not too far from here. Sometimes they get "walk a ways". If one comes to my house, they are going to find all my guns in a gun safe that I doubt they are smart enough to get into.

Still my biggest fear is some child finding one of my guns and getting hurt.

No sir, no guns scattered about my place. If nothing else, it makes me feel better, that alone is well worth the price of the safe.

ScotchMan
April 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Well said, kraigwy

FireForged
April 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
My housegun and my ccw are normally in the same room, side by side. Anything else in stored in the safe. Every doorway into my home has a glass and bar outter door and hardwood inner door. I feel confident that is someone is trying to get in and they will get it, I have time enough to get the housegun and plant myself for defense.

I am not one of these people who have guns in the cabinets, under the sink in each bathroom and hidden in light fixtures. If ninjas suddenly appear, I gu ess I am doomed. :D

I dont really follow the idea that a safe is not a safe... A safe is a safe, no matter if someone can eventually get into it or not. Its all about time, and good security is built upon layers. Good exterior doors and frames, alarm, dogs, nosey neighbors, good lighting and lights on timers, cameras and signage, car in the driveway and alert occupants. Its all about making the next house look easier than yours. That may sound rude but thats how it is.

Oysterboy
April 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
LOL, not rude at all. :D

Stevie-Ray
April 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not.It's been my philosophy for a great many years. EDC is on me at all times, except when it's on the nightstand while I sleep. It's so comfortable I could forget it's there, though I choose to always remember it as comforting. And BTW:

If I was paranoid enough to carry a gun at home, I'd move!
When I have to carry at home, that's when I check out for good.
Carrying is a PITA, I'm certainly not doing it at home.
How can you relax with a gun strapped to you?
Where do you live, Beirut? Yada, yada, et al

Don't bother, I've heard them all before and they'd be just as silly now as then.

Sponge14
April 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
Don't bother, I've heard them all before and they'd be just as silly now as then.

Just like some people like myself think that carrying a gun around your own home is silly...

Polynikes
April 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
With two small toddlers in the house, the safest place for a defensive firearm to be is on my hip at all times. Nothing silly about it...

Onward Allusion
April 10, 2012, 08:19 PM
ScotchMan

I too am a firm believer in keeping one on you, but my wife only wears her's when she's doing yard work or out and about. We have ones stashed for that reason. Heck, it wasn't until recently that she started wearing one when doing yard work. Got to thank the coyotes for that! :)

Nnobby45
April 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
Just like some people like myself think that carrying a gun around your own home is silly...

I remember a story by Ayoob about the home invasion murders of the husband and wife Dartmouth professors. He pointed out that he knew cops who never carried at home either---until they learned, thru their investigations, how fast someone could get inside your home and be in your face. Leaving you no time to get your gun if it was some place else.

Whether carrying at home is your choice or not, doing so itsn't silly.

ScotchMan
April 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Whenever I read people saying carrying at home is silly, I always chuckle. These are the same people who believe that carrying in public is necessary. Let's look at that.

When you carry in public, it's because you realize there is a very small chance that you might need it. You don't expect to need it, and you hope you won't, but you acknowledge there is a possibility, and that the stakes are high enough to justify it.

Unless it is 100% (not 99.anything, but 100%) certain that you won't need it at home, how is that any different? It is still extremely unlikely. Is it so much less likely to need it at home than when you are at Olive Garden?

It reminds me of the people who criticize those who choose to carry a backup gun. If you carry one for the .00001% chance you'll need it, what's wrong with carrying two for the .00000000000001% chance you'll need it AND your first one will fail? These are all statistically unlikely events, so guarding against one but not the other because "what are the chances" strikes me as a little hypocritical.

Stevie-Ray
April 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Just like some people like myself think that carrying a gun around your own home is silly... :rolleyes: Hope that you always CAN think that, because unfortunately, if you change your mind it will probably be because of something terrible.

Unless it is 100% (not 99.anything, but 100%) certain that you won't need it at home, how is that any different? It is still extremely unlikely. Is it so much less likely to need it at home than when you are at Olive Garden?I'd be willing to bet that home invasions are far more numerous than Olive Garden incidents that require you pulling your gun.

Bubba in c.a.
April 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
Gun safes are a good idea and can be had very cheap. We have enough kids and guests at our house that no gun is left out--at night I stick the key in the gun safe and crack it open--decent access for 2 loaded dedicated HD guns. these cheappy gunsafes also make a good place to store cameras, important papers, etc.

The far bedroom also has a gun safe--with a loaded gun and a big knife in it, too.

FAS1
April 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
I usually pocket carry around the house, but my HD handgun is stored in a handgun safe attached to my bed. Sometimes I am working on a project and have a handgun out, usually in the garage. I am never comfortable leaving it there for the same reason that she should not leave her purse in the kitchen. Looks like her bedroom is probably upstairs and she retrieved her HD gun from that area and shot the first intruder coming up the stairs. My thought is if I ended up needing my gun at home, more than likely I too will be in the bedroom. I think that if I had several guns around the house they would have to be secured, but quickly accessible. When guest, especially with children come over, I want the peace of mind knowing that the guns aren't accessible to anyone and I don't have to pick up beforehand. I would hate to miss one and end up in a child's hand or in this case a bad guy.

bikerbill
April 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
No kids in my house and my wife knows how to use all my handguns ... I carry an NAA Pug all the time, but like the idea of having a 1911 within two steps of my sofa, and a j-frame in my commode and a 1911 in my nightstand ... if we're having company, they all get locked up ... the living room 1911 is well hidden but easy to access ... carrying something larger than the Pug all day while I'm home is not comfortable for me, hence the easily grabbed weapons in the house ....

FireForged
April 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
the day that I honestly feel that I "must" wear a gun inside my home, I will sell everything and move.

Stevie-Ray
April 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
the day that I honestly feel that I "must" wear a gun inside my home, I will sell everything and move.Yeah, good luck with that, since this is a real seller's market.

TenRing
April 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have never liked the idea of stashing guns around the house but to each his own. I like knowing that kids and other nosy people have no opportunity to find guns in my house unless they are competent safe crackers or pick pockets.

The only exception that I would make is if I had an extremely unusual and secure hiding place for a gun but I don't know what that could be. The usual hiding places get checked by burglars and we all know what these are: mattresses, couch cushions, tops of china cabinets, desk drawers, book cases, cookie jars (a la Rockford Files), glove compartments and under seats of cars etc. I still think the best place to hide a gun is on your person.

jimbob86
April 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
On stashing guns around the house: It's your house, your rules ..... but they are also your guns, thus your responsibility. If a kid or pet finds one and something bad happens, you'll have to live with that.

On me or locked up. Either/Or. ..... actually, I can't carry them all, so even if I'm armed, there's still a passel of 'em locked up.

As for you nightstand folks ....... IIRC, I read somewhere about a home invader years ago, who's MO was to creep in quietly, arm himself with the homeowners nightstand/sock drawer gun, and wake them with a polite "Good Evening." ........

Pistol safes with biometric latches are very fast ..... four digit combinations only slightly slower........

biohazurd
April 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have guns in almost every room of my house. But they are all hidden in some way or another. (No kids.)

Edward429451
April 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
What a great cross section of perspectives on this. I've had guns since before I got married & had kids. I stashed loaded and/or unloaded gun all over the house (loosely speaking) the whole time raising the kids. I couldn't afford a safe then, so I had to be safe. Leaving all my guns in a nice pile all together seemed like a bad idea so they get scattered.

The key to making it work is a layered approach. I always walked hot, and I Gunproofed my children (Ayoob), and wife, always own a dog, and be careful who you let through your door.

I do not think that I "must" be armed at home either...I like it. I grew up with guns handy. Rifle by the window perhaps? We used to shoot groundhogs in the pasture from our bedroom window back on Cherrybottom Rd in Gahanna Oh., and I think that was super cool and very natural thing for me. Mom wouldn't get mad until we started shooting dads AR out the window.:cool::D

Nnobby45
April 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
As to home invasions: It seems that one will never know what he/she is doing or where he is when some bandit kicks in the door. Are you setting on the couch watching TV, are you in the kitchen making a sandwich, are you setting at the desk doing taxes????

Just how many guns do you need to scatter about the house to be prepared????

Enough so that if intruders get between me and my safe room, I'll still be armed. That means one gun. I don't have grandchildren and no visiting children will be running around my house out of sight.

As for those who suggest the woman should have "kept the gun on her", there are people on this thread who think it's silly to be armed at home, and remove their weapon and lock it up the minute they get home---kinda like, "whew", I'm safe now--no danger of intruders in my home. Well, I hope they're right, but this woman saved her life by having a second gun for just that kind of emergency--more likely during the night. :cool:

arch308
April 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
I live alone. I keep a few of my guns hidden around the house and don't feel the need to carry. To each his own.
If the young relatives visit I put them up, well, all but one.

RBid
April 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Regarding the "If I feel like I need to carry in my home, I'll move/(other)" outlook:

1st, that's your call. I respect your right to have your own opinions, and your right to express those.

2nd, Moving to a great area doesn't ensure that the desperate, unstable, irrational, or evil elements of the world will not find you. Moving to nice communities can certainly minimize your chances of being victimized, but living in a great area isn't a form of self defense.

I live in a great part of a quiet suburb, and a couple were murdered at their dinner table, about 2 blocks away from my place, 2-3 years ago. Why? Because an unstable man who worked with the wife had become fixated on her, and flew into a rage after he stalked her home, and saw her with her husband.

As HIGHLY unlikely as it is that something similar will happen to me, I have seen and experienced 'highly unlikely' things happening, far too many times.

I will not rebuke or belittle anyone who disagrees. Your life is yours to live. I hope that each of us is allowed to live a long, happy life, free from the intrusion of dark elements.

Nnobby45
April 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Regarding the "If I feel like I need to carry in my home, I'll move/(other)" outlook:

Not to be taken as critiscism, but this is a way of thinking I don't understand.

To "not feel the need" seems to be a prediction of the future in which no need to defend yourself in your home will arise.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but it's my understanding that there often isn't advanced warning of such attacks, and that they happen in "good neighborhoods"--- where things like that just "don't happen".

About the only time I hear about things like that never happening in the spokesman's neighborhood, is right after it happens.

RBid
April 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
Well said, nnobby.

kraigwy
April 15, 2012, 10:16 AM
"If I feel like I need to carry in my home, I'll move

That's kind of like saying "if I feel the need to wear seat belts, I'd stop riding in a car".

RBid
April 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Kraigwy,

I think it's more like saying, "If I feel the need to wear a seatbelt in my car, I'll get a new car".

There are countless examples of people being attacked in places where they feel safest, and least likely to need a weapon. Home, church, local parks, work, etc.

44 AMP
April 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
Leaving aside (for the moment) the discussion about stashing guns around the house being a good or bad idea, I'd like to point out something from he OP.

..but because she had a gun in her purse, and left her purse downstairs, she inadvertantly armed the intruders:....

The language used is indicative of the thinking here. "inadvertanly armed the intruders"? Where the heck does this idea come from? They STOLE it.

If someone steals your money, are you inadvertantly enriching the poor? Inadvertantly redistgributing wealth (yours)?

I could give dozens of examples of this kind of thing, and while grammatically correct, they would each and every one, be wrong. Unless, of course, you believe that the actions of others are your responsibility. I do not.

Yes, the result was not what was intended, so technically the language is correct, but it gives an extremely slanted impression. Unfortunately, this is the society we live in today. And one of the reasons we have many of the problems that we do. Everything is always our fault, never the fault of others, the ones actually doing the deed. Its our fault, because we let it happen.

I, for one, am sick of this kind of thinking. It only focuses on what we do or don't do to prevent or make a crime more difficult, never on the simple fact that if the people who commited the crime had not done so it would be a moot point.

"Oh, you let them get a gun! The HORROR!" Bushwah! They stole it! Anytime anyone takes your property, without your permission, you are not "inadvertantly gifting" it to them, they are STEALING it!

Now, if you are a journalist (or anyone else), with an agenda against personal firearms ownership, saying that you "inadvertanly armed criminals" focuses blame on the gun owner, NOT the criminals. It becomes our fault, not theirs. After all, if we hadn't had the gun in the first place, they never would have gotten it, right? So it must be our fault. Right?:rolleyes:

Fine language for someone with an anti-firearms bias, but why do we repeat it?

Seems to me that if that poor woman hadn't had more than one gun, should would be considerably worse off today. She shot one of the thugs, did she inadvertantly let the others escape?

Might as well go and arrest the parents, after all, if they hadn't inadvertantly procreated, their little darlings wouldn't have grown up to be ciminals! Makes as much sense to me....

rtpzwms
April 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
44Amp you make a point. But and you had to know that was coming if you have not done everything you can to prevent the loss of a firearm, you have not done enough. I have had weapons stolen from me and there is nothing worse than going to the police station and reporting the weapons as stolen. I had nothing to do with the loss of the weapons they were stolen but I did not do everything I could do to prevent it either. If you place them around your home do you put them away when you go to work? to the park or to the store for a gallon of milk? How long do you have to be away before its too long?

My guns are in the safe when I'm not at home, period. That's the best I can do. But how many pickup and pack up before running out for a minute?

I have friends that are cops and I would feel awful if one of the was injured or killed by a weapon that I bought. Again I did not ask for them to be stolen but it happened. So up to 5 criminals may have guns (4 now I did get one back),crook went to jail.

Oysterboy
April 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Whenever I leave my house I take my 2 guns, ammo, money, narcotic medicines, etc with me in a nondescript bag and stuff 'em in my trunk. The electric latch is disabled and only a key will open it.

In a way you can call it my bug out bag. ;)

Stevie-Ray
April 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, this is the society we live in today. And one of the reasons we have many of the problems that we do. Everything is always our fault, never the fault of others, the ones actually doing the deed. Its our fault, because we let it happen.

44Amp you make a point. But and you had to know that was coming if you have not done everything you can to prevent the loss of a firearm, you have not done enough. If you place them around your home do you put them away when you go to work? to the park or to the store for a gallon of milk? How long do you have to be away before its too long?

My guns are in the safe when I'm not at home, period. That's the best I can do. But how many pickup and pack up before running out for a minute?I have to go with 44 AMP on this. If you lock your house when you leave and your guns are stored willy-nilly around the house, are they locked up? The answer is YES! Any other attitude simply empowers criminals and helps enact useless laws that do nothing but protect only them. Sure, many of us have safes or RSCs, mostly because we want to protect our investment, but remember, a safe salesman will be glad to tell you how many seconds it will take to open that RSC. Safes aren't the be all end all of security, either. Security in layers, folks.

Nnobby45
April 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
I have to go with 44 AMP on this. If you lock your house when you leave and your guns are stored willy-nilly around the house, are they locked up?

StevieRay, you've taken some liberty with certain statements re: having guns placed in the house. Mine for sure, and others as well.

Any gun stored for tactical reasons in my house is not stored "willy-nilly". It's put where it is for a reason, with forethought, to give me a tactical advantage under extreme circumstances.

Lastly, if they're stored "willy-nilly" then they wouldn't be locked up--would they?:cool:

seeker_two
April 17, 2012, 05:17 AM
Question for those who carry in their homes: Do you also carry a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher on your person at all times?

Glenn E. Meyer
April 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
There is a significant first aid kit in my car and house. Also fire extinguishers on each floor.

The thrust of the question ignores the time constraints of a violent attack vs. the time constraints of getting the kit or extinguisher. Yes, you might be faced with a sudden fire or bleed out wound but that's probably not the same temporal course as a home invasion, part of which separates you from the gun you have stashed away from you.

Stevie-Ray
April 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
StevieRay, you've taken some liberty with certain statements re: having guns placed in the house. Mine for sure, and others as well.

Any gun stored for tactical reasons in my house is not stored "willy-nilly". It's put where it is for a reason, with forethought, to give me a tactical advantage under extreme circumstances.

Lastly, if they're stored "willy-nilly" then they wouldn't be locked up--would they?I've taken NO liberties. I really couldn't care less how they are placed about the house. I've used the term willy-nilly to explain that even if they are placed in the absolute most careless positions, if your house is locked up-your guns are locked up. Or would you rather give criminals even more excuses in court?

Your honor, if I hadn't seen that beautiful handgun laying on that table while I was looking in their windows, I swear I never would have broken in. So you see, it's actually their fault.

Clear now?

RBid
April 19, 2012, 02:48 AM
Seeker Two,

I have 2 first aid kits in my apartment, and a fire extinguisher mounted in the central area.

Fires and home invasions are similar in small ways. I carry in my home because of the differences. If a fire erupts in your kitchen, it won't shoot or stab you, if you make a move for an extinguisher.

C0untZer0
April 19, 2012, 09:23 AM
I think stashing guns significantly changes the dynamics of home defense in a number of ways.

There are people who plan to go to arm themselves, go to a defensive position and "hunker down" - wait for police. How does it affect things knowing that while you're hunkering down the home invaders are discovering your stashed weapons?

I'm perfectly OK with the theives taking my home electronics and stuff while I'm hunkered down. I know they're not going to take my wide screen TV and kill someone with it.

Even though tactically I know it would not be smart to leave my defensive position to confront home invaders, I personally would have a problem standing by while burglars walked out with my weapons - not so much in just losing them, but feeling responsible for them.

It also raises the potential of upgrading the weaponry of the assailants - as it did in this case when the woman left her handgun in her purse downstairs.

I know criminals carry all sorts of different weapons, but I believe that they gravitate toward lower-priced, lower valued firearms, and possibly lesser quality.

I just think if a thief had stolen some beautiful gun that is worth $2,500 - he's more likely to sell it for the money than to keep it as a burglary/mugging tool. He can get a $200 handgun that will do most everything he needs it to do and the extra $2,300 buys a lot of dope.

If I ever do get in a shootout I am hoping that I'm only facing a .32 or something.

Not that a .32 caliber bullet won't kill you, I know a .22 will kill you too.

But the thing about stashing a gun, it raises the potential that I'm significantly upgrading the armament of a home invader from a knife or .32 pistol to a quality high-capacity nine.

I have kids so stashing guns around the house is just not an option. But I think if I didn't have kids and I were to stash guns, that automatically requires that I have an alarm system and a dog, because besides just protecting my house I've now added the element of racing against time to prevent the intruders from procuring my stashed weapons.

Edward429451
April 19, 2012, 09:24 AM
It's true. Sometimes trouble just walks up to the door and knocks. You will not have time to walk across the room and pick up a gun. If you're one that doesn't believe that these things happen because it's never happened to you, good for you that it hasn't happened to you.

Being in denial about it doesn't change the possibilities. It just means you'll be caught in condition white and unprepared if something happens. Being armed at home is not some big dramatic event, it's very casual.

There is an incredible amount of satisfaction that goes along with successfully repelling invaders at the front door. It wouldn't have been possible without the pistol.

Sarge
April 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
On stashing guns around the house: It's your house, your rules ..... but they are also your guns, thus your responsibility. If a kid or pet finds one and something bad happens, you'll have to live with that.

That does it. I'm selling the dogs.

I can tell you I grew up in a house where the guns where stashed and so did my kids. There were absolutes of behavior and dire consequences for ignoring them, in both cases.

As noted this is a personal choice for each of us to make and since everyone's circumstances are different regarding children, etc., no pat answer is going to work for everyone.

spacecoast
April 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
I keep guns in my home and car, in locations that are secure but not so secure that I have a problem getting to them quickly. Nobody is going to run into them by accident. I'm with the few here who think that putting a gun behind a locked door means that it's locked up and that being victimized by a thief is not the same as negligently arming that thief.

For those who are paranoi... errr... so concerned about my guns, what do you do about your kitchen drawer full of knives??? Do you lock those up too? What about all the criminals and small children you are inadvertently arming with deadly weapons?

And what about the bleach and rat poison and hammers and crowbars and shovels scattered around the house and garage? And that money in your wallet - a thief could certainly use that to buy weapons and larceny tools. Shame on you!

RBid
April 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
Spacecoast,

Is it your position that kitchen knives, rat poison, hammers, crowbars, and shovels are as dangerous as firearms?

To clarify, we all know that they can be used to cause harm or death. My question isn't, "are they potentially deadly". My question is as above.

9mm
April 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
I keep a gun on my desk, in my pocket, and in my bedroom.

Glenn E. Meyer
April 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
I certainly hope that I face my dog when he is shooting a 32.

Wait, I don't have a dog.

Dogs do shoot people quite a few times in TX. Step on or knock over a long arm.

I do have a 32 - a 327 Mag - with some powerful stuff in it. You wouldn't want that in your face.

My shovel doesn't cost $459.

After watching the finale of Justified I am rethinking carrying my Chinese cleaver around with me.

:D

drifts1
April 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
Everybody is gonna do whats comfortable for them and so long as we each take responsibility for our own safety its crazy to critizize each other. We have the carry on my person vs. stashed around the house vs. on my nighstand vs. all locked up in my fort knox safe people going at it. Decide whats best for you and thats that. Personally i dont carry at home, it just not comfortable for ME. I know anything can happen anywhere but i choose for my home to be a place of relaxation & safety. if something does happen i know what i need to do.

cookie5
April 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
That is just one reason why guns in purses is a very bad idea.