PDA

View Full Version : 9 x 18 Makarov Question

Knox
December 1, 2000, 08:46 PM
I've recently ordered a Makarov in 9 x 18. I understand the cartridge is basically somewhere in between (in regard to power) a 380 and a 9mm. Could anyone enlighten me on how the stopping power would compare to say a 38sp. or 38+P round? Specifically velocity and energy? Also, any general comments pro or con about the Makarov would be appreciated.

Jody Hudson
December 1, 2000, 10:13 PM
Makarov is the best pistol in the world!

Because it was made for the 9x18 I also like that round!

The Makarov is accurate enough and cheap enough to shoot that you can aim for the nose and do well at hitting it or close enough. Aim for the tip of the nose and stopping power is not an issue! ;)

Have FUN and buy lots of ammo for your new WunderGun! It's cheap and good. It's the BEST! :)

JerryM
December 1, 2000, 11:17 PM
The 9x18 is essentially a hot .380. It is not close to a 9x19 and is some inferior to a .38 Spl. However, it is a great gun and when I carry mine I use CorBon ammunition and don't really feel undergunned. It is an extremely reliable gun, although you may need some ramp work for reliable feeding with some HP. Jerry

Stephen A. Camp
December 2, 2000, 04:33 AM
Hello, Knox. Last Monday, I chronographed some rounds from my Bulgarian Mak. These figures may help answer your question concerning the ballistic capabilities of the 9x18 Makarov.

Fiocchi 95 gr ball ~ 1018 ft/sec

CorBon 95 gr JHP ~ 1098 ft/sec

Hornady 95 gr XTP ~ 937 ft/sec

I sort of see it as a "hot" .380 with stopping power similar to some .38 Spec loads from snub bbls, but well below the 9mm in "stopping power."

I like these little guns.

Best.

MakAttack
December 3, 2000, 07:48 PM
Knox - jump over to Makarov.com (http://www.makarov.com) if you want an education on Makarov pistols. All kinds of info pages within the site, plus links to a bunch of other resources. You can also buy a lot of accessories here too. However, the Message Board (http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=mak12) probably gets the most hits - pretty lively discussions go on about Maks here, & you will get answers to your questions.

It's a great pistol - I have a few of them, one customized with grips, sights, etc. that I use for some carry applications loaded with good hollowpoint ammunition. It never hiccups with anyting I shove down it's throat. Good choice!