PDA

View Full Version : Compact or possibly Sub-Compact 9mm for summertime concealment

xLPlushy
April 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
Howdy Folks,

I'm looking into purchasing a 9mm compact or sub-compact for carry during the summer. My price range is about $500 or less. A little about me, I'm about 5'10" 240lbs and generally wear a t-shirt and cargo shorts or basketball shorts during the hot summer months. Really looking forward to feedback from the Florida boys.

I've checked out the Glock 19 and 26 as well as the Kahr CW9. I know there's a rather large variety of 9mm handguns to choose from and am very interested in what others have to recommend.

Thanks in Advance!

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

JustThisGuy
April 5, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hands down the best 9mm compact gun for concealment is the Walther PPS. It's very easy to carry and it has the sweetest trigger this side of a 1911. Very accurate and easy to be accurate with. It feels like an extension of your hand. Retail is about $599 but you can find them online for $500. It comes with one each 7 and 8 round magazines.

Here's a link to Walther's PPS web page:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=60492&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=44304&isFirearm=Y

And here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unOXaB3QoYk

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5026590

My wife bought one and I love to shoot it so much I went back and also bought a PPQ (its big brother). Both great guns and highly addictive.

scottycoyote
April 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
my choices would be keltec pf9 or p11 or g26.

Rj1972
April 5, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'm interested to see what the responses are here too. The basketball shorts thing should be somewhat of a limiter I'd think, since you don't have a belt with basketball shorts and they kinda fall down fairly easily.

I absolutely love my M&P9c, but it's gonna require a belt/holster. If I wore basketball shorts (which I don't), I'd think I'd have to switch to something awfully light (LCP, but that's not 9mm). But with cargo shorts you should have lots of options. Glock 26, M&P9c, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, Kahr's offerings (PM9, CW9).

JonathanZ
April 5, 2012, 02:54 PM
A lot of basketball shorts have a string you can tie. I can wear my Glock 19 just fine if I choose to wear them. A Glock 26 would work, just make sure you get a holster that clips instead of needing a belt to loop through it.

dalegribble
April 5, 2012, 03:06 PM
i have a taurus 9mm, 709 slim that carries very easil, reliable and accurate and around $350 or less.

MonsterB
April 5, 2012, 03:29 PM
Fora smaller 9mm, I would say Glock26, as its the best 9mm I have owned, and have actual experience with. Insanely accurate, reliable, and light. There are some other great choices too, but I have been so happy with my 26 for so long that I havent tried much else like it.

AH.74
April 5, 2012, 03:39 PM
A lot of basketball shorts have a string you can tie. I can wear my Glock 19 just fine if I choose to wear them. A Glock 26 would work, just make sure you get a holster that clips instead of needing a belt to loop through it.

I prefer to have my guns secured better than with just a piece of string tied around my waist, but that's just me.

MonsterB
April 5, 2012, 03:42 PM
I prefer to have my guns secured better than with just a piece of string tied around my waist, but that's just me.
Didt work out too well for Plaxico, either. Good call.

oneounceload
April 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
That would be where the Rohrbaugh comes in, however it is twice the OP's budget

JonathanZ
April 5, 2012, 05:14 PM

Yup, I'm an idiot and all I do is tie a string around my waist and clip my gun to it.

I mean, seriously...you can tie the shorts tight and that will pin the holster tight enough. I wouldn't want to go around all day like that cause its not that comfortable, but it works well enough to run in and out of a store.

Now you guys should know Plaxico was carrying gangsta style and didn't even use a holster, just stuck the gun down his jeans.

Shadi Khalil
April 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
I would be looking for something thin, 16oz or less, with a 3 inch barrel or less that felt good in my hand. That leaves you a lot of choices. I would take a good hard look at the CM9 and LC9.

bamiller
April 5, 2012, 06:06 PM
If you wear your shirts tucked in it almost limits you to pocket carry. For pocket carry I would recommend the Kahr CM9, which is a quality pistol and below your budget. IMO a 9mm of that size and weight is the limit for pocket carry. PPS was mentioned, which is a great pistol but I personally wouldn't pocket carry it for an extended period of time.

Shadi Khalil
April 5, 2012, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE][/I prefer to have my guns secured better than with just a piece of string tied around my waist, but that's just me. QUOTE]
Didt work out too well for Plaxico, either. Good call.

I carry in the waist band of basket shorts or warm up pants all the time. I'm pretty sure that's why God made cheap, nylon IWB holsters. In fact, I'm carrying a revolver in a pair of pajama pants right now and do so anytime I'm sitting around the house. I carry the same revolver in basketball shorts with the same holster sometimes while working in my parents lawn...

I see you mentioned the CW9. You may prefer that over the CM9 as you might find it more shootable. I owned a CW9 (amongst other Kahr's) and it was light enough to carry in basketball type shorts or pants with an IWB holster. You have 2 inches and 100 pounds on me so it should be no problem for you to conceal.

Fargazer
April 5, 2012, 06:59 PM
Normally I'd recommend the Walther PPS; it's what I carry, and it's flat nature makes it very easy to conceal and carry, even with lighter clothing.

What makes me hesitate is the references to basketball shorts. The PPS is great, but I still wear a good belt when carrying one - I don't normally go beltless.

I'd say:

The Ruger LC9 should fit all your criteria. Its trigger pull is heavy but smooth; some people cope with that, some don't, so try to shoot one first. It is lighter than the PPS by a couple ounces (17 vs 19), and in my personal experience is not ammo sensitive like a lot of small 9's.
The Kahr CW9 is definitely worth considering, as well as the KelTec PF9; however, I have no personal experience with either - hence I'll stop at "consider", vs. "recommend"

xLPlushy
April 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
If you wear your shirts tucked in it almost limits you to pocket carry. For pocket carry I would recommend the Kahr CM9, which is a quality pistol and below your budget. IMO a 9mm of that size and weight is the limit for pocket carry. PPS was mentioned, which is a great pistol but I personally wouldn't pocket carry it for an extended period of time.

Forgot to mention that detail. Yes, generally I do wear my shirts tucked in, more comfy with the beer gut, haha. However open carry is legal here in PA. I'm personally not 100% for it as it probaly draws unwanted attention and I don't see it unless I'm at the range or it's an off duty police officer with his badge next to his gun and a pair of cuffs on his belt. But if I was gonna open carry I'd just take the G22.

Back on topic, a pocket carry pistol is generally where I'm headed and I'll carry it as a backup in the winter months. I don't want to go too small to where it's not shootable on a quick draw and rapid fire or it's too small for my hand-like my mom's .25 auto.

The Kahr CW9 was nice, fit my hand good and is very concealable. Would love to shoot any of the possibilities before I buy though.

KyJim
April 5, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think the CM9 may be your best option. Three inch barrel, thin, light. I really like mine. Having said that, I carry a Ruger LCP .380 when I wear cotton shorts /w elastic and pull string waistband because it's even lighter and smaller.

ClydeFrog
April 5, 2012, 08:55 PM
If you have the $, I'd suggest a SIG P290, P239 DAK or the newer pistol; the SIG P224 DAK in 9x19mm. To get night sights or with the P290/P239 a laser aiming system.
Other good 9x19mm sub-compacts include the SR9c, the PX4 Sub-Compact, the Glock 26, or the S-A XDm sub-compact.
For the blue steel Ruger SR9c I'd highly suggest the adding of Bearcoat, Black-T or Robar NP3+ to the metal parts & maybe a few spare carry magazines.
These custom treatments & coatings are not cheap but will improve the firearm & assist in rapid mag changes-speed reloading IMO.
Bearcoat offers a price break on mags in volume(2/3 or more) & they offer a full lifetime service warranty. Robar's NP3+ is great too for Florida's humid climate.

Speaking of pistol mags, with a few sub-compacts like the PX4, P224 or Glock 26 can take full size duty magazines in emergencies. That might be handy in a pinch, ;) .
ClydeFrog
www.Bearcoat.com www.Black-T.com www.Robarguns.com www.apwcogan.com

Mrgunsngear
April 5, 2012, 09:47 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01284.jpg

Put me down for CM9. The PPS is nice too but I had a PPS and have a CM9 FWIW.

jibberjabber
April 6, 2012, 08:30 AM
Beretta Nano $400 + Remora (clipless) holster $25

One of many excellent options to choose from.

Good luck on your quest sir.

ScotchMan
April 6, 2012, 08:47 AM
I carry a SR9c normally and picked up a Walther PPS a few weeks ago for summer carry. I can conceal it in cargo shorts (front) pocket with the 6 round flush magazine, and it's easier to conceal IWB as well.

The SR9c is my main carry, but the PPS is for when I can't or don't want to carry the double stack.

Also there have been about one thousand threads about this topic in the past couple weeks, seems everyone (myself included) is gearing up for summer.

baccusboy
April 6, 2012, 09:40 AM
Glock 26, S&W M&P9c, or Ruger SR9c. Try them all. All are excellent.

The newer Glock 26's don't suffer from the Gen4 issues you hear about.

Here is the S&W:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPKyvdI3z68

Note that you can get it with or without a safety, and with or without the option to keep the gun from firing when the mag is dropped.

Walt Sherrill
April 6, 2012, 09:41 AM
Lot of choices -- and compromises:

Kel-Tec PF9, Kahr P9, Kahr PM9/CM9, Ruger LC9, Ruger SR9C, Walther PPS, Beretta Nano

Each will have its advocates/fans and detractors. You need to hold them and, if possible, try the triggers.

If you don't have to buy NEW, you can find all of them in your price range; some will be less than $500, new.

None of them are likely to be fun "range" guns.

ScotchMan
April 6, 2012, 09:54 AM
None of them are likely to be fun "range" guns.

My PPS and SR9c are both very much fun range guns.

Walt Sherrill
April 6, 2012, 11:44 AM
My PPS and SR9c are both very much fun range guns.

I agree. I was thinking about the smaller ones when I wrote that, and then added the SR9C, Nano and PPS without a qualification. My error.

hblac
April 6, 2012, 11:53 AM
I currently have the Glock 26, Kahr CW9, KelTec PF-9, Sig P-290 and have owned the Walther PPS. For work I wear Khaki slacks and tucked in golf shirt. CCW has to be very thin for tuckable IWB carry or pocket carry.

Purely for CCW you want the lightest most dependable pistol you can afford. Let's take them in order:

G-26: excellent pistol with excellent capacity reasonably accurate. Mine has XS Big Dot night sights, 3.5# trigger connector, extended slide release. If it weren't so freakin thick and heavy it would be my CCW. It rides in the console of my F-150 and goes everywhere I ride.

CW9: Nice pistol, accurate, light recoil, fairly slim. Mine has Trijicon night sigthts. If I had a better holster for it I'd carry it more. Very happy with it, thinking of getting P-45 as well.

KelTec PF-9: Thinnest of all making it the easiest to carry and conceal. Reasonably accurate and very light and also cheap. Mine has been 100% reliable. Downside is its horrible to shoot. Trigger is awful. Recoil is incredible. I did the 200 round break-in in one session a had a huge blister in the web of my right hand. Took 3 weeks to heal. Not a gun for the range at all but for CCW its excellent.

Sig P-290: Its a tad bit heavy for its size being a steel pistol but mine came with night sights, laser and holster all for $499. Its very accurate, recoil is light and its faily thin and easy to conceal. The DA trigger on mine is fine. Capacity is either 8+1 or 6+1 depending on which magazine you use. I really like this gun! It will be my main CCW for the foreseable future.

Walther PPS: Gosh I really like this pistol. Very accurate (like the P-290), light recoil and very thin for easy concealment. I must have had a bad copy as mine had a lot of failures to go into battery. I gave up on it after 300+ rounds. Some have said it needs a 500 round break-in period. That's expensive these days. I may give the PPS another try. If you get a copy that works flawlessly it would make a fantastic CCW.

Keep in mind different folks will find different guns suit them differently. It often comes down to the ergos.

That's my $0.02

baccusboy
April 6, 2012, 12:13 PM
You might also consider the Ruger LC9. It's a rip-off of the Kel-Tec PF9, but a more refined gun overall, IMHO. Excellent carry gun.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-3200-lc9-9mm-312-barrel-7-rnds-299-free-shipping

AZAK
April 6, 2012, 12:30 PM
seems everyone (myself included) is gearing up for summer.

Since it is snowing at the moment, and with feet of snow still on the ground, I have no problem CCing just about anything.

SR9c has a really good factory trigger, two different mag length choices, "fits" in G26 holsters (different trigger guard shapes - but gives one an idea of the size of the pistol) fairly light at about 24 oz. Pretty darn slim for a double stack, feel the grip in hand - much more like a single stack than a double.

What is this "summer carry"...??? Since I rarely am wearing less than a couple of layers year round... However, I have CCed Government and Commander 1911s when visiting in FL and AZ on a number of trips; and they do make some of these in 9mm, if that is a requirement.

I have looked at the CW9 several times, liked it, just prefer shorter/better triggers.
YMMV

Dashunde
April 6, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have two for summer time... an LCP iwb on the hotest of days wearing shorts that dont have excess room, and I carry a PM9 iwb in more comfortable shorts and temps.

The hotter I get the heavier and less comfortable a gun gets... the LCP has always made the cut, the PM9 does most of the time.
I think the Kahrs stuff the most into a very good quality nice shooting and almost pocketable package, the PM9/CM9's are really hard to beat and could only be bettered by loosing the 1911 style slide lock and rounding off the front of the slide more.

Conversely my Glock 27 - my most capable ccw - gets skant ride time in hot weather.

I like the PPS, it has about the same footprint as the G27 with the thinness of the Kahrs and has a Glock style trigger.
I might have to buy one if they ever trim away that light rail.

AH.74
April 6, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yup, I'm an idiot and all I do is tie a string around my waist and clip my gun to it.

I mean, seriously...you can tie the shorts tight and that will pin the holster tight enough. I wouldn't want to go around all day like that cause its not that comfortable, but it works well enough to run in and out of a store.

I know what you meant. And regardless, I still think it's the same thing- a string inside a waistband.

It's not secure in my opinion. If you need to run out to the store, what does it take to put on a pair of jeans- one extra minute of your time?

MonsterB
April 6, 2012, 04:12 PM
I know what you meant. And regardless, I still think it's the same thing- a string inside a waistband.

It's not secure in my opinion. If you need to run out to the store, what does it take to put on a pair of jeans- one extra minute of your time?

I agree. Running into the store could be the one time you need the carry piece, or if in just a string it could fall out while picking up the beer and rubbers, right in front of a bunch of nuns, while a local tv station is filming a story on stupid people. I would hate to be that guy. Dont be that guy.

Joseywales3
April 6, 2012, 07:17 PM
A tool that my life could depend on...I'm thinking I don't want to minimize...

I have a Glock 19, but my Makarov carries as well and probably better, especially in the summer.

egor20
April 6, 2012, 08:45 PM
I'm Old school, S&W 469 for CC under a Hawaiian shirt on a Triple K SOB holster.

CDNN has 6906's for $329.99 BTW.

xLPlushy
April 6, 2012, 09:47 PM
I'm Old school, S&W 469 for CC under a Hawaiian shirt on a Triple K SOB holster.

CDNN has 6906's for $329.99 BTW.

Ooo. The 6906. The 4006's step-brothers baby. I shot a 4006 and absolutely fell in love with it, nice and beefy, recoil of a .22LR, 11 round mag if I remember correct, comfy grip, smooth and crisp trigger, and all steel. It shot a 2" group at 45 feet with me at the helm. It was a range rental with about 55,000 rounds thru it.
I wish S&W still made that line of handguns, they didn't feel toy-like like all the polymer framed ones, yet I still own a G22 and like it alot, so I can't knock the poly frames as they do have their advantages. Its lightweight, a great instinctual pointer, and a high cap, but just too big for some lightly dressed summer days, IMHO. A single stack would be nice for those days.

Fishbed77
April 6, 2012, 10:01 PM
I must have had a bad copy as mine had a lot of failures to go into battery. I gave up on it after 300+ rounds. Some have said it needs a 500 round break-in period.

The PPS should not have such a break in period. The Ulm-manufactured "real" Walthers (PPS, P99, and PPQ) are designed to run like a top right out of the box. The "break-in" period usually just smooths out the triggers on these guns. Sounds like your PPS was out of spec and needed a trip back to S&W.

fredeee
April 7, 2012, 07:45 AM
+1 for the PM9. However, if I had to do it again, I'd go for something slightly larger. Check out the P9. Very thin like the PM9 and slightly larger but much more pleasant to shoot plus 1 extra round in the standard mag. Most important thing, shoot before you buy, especially these tiny guns. Some are just downright unpleasant and unsafe IMO. Good luck!

xLPlushy
April 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the input. How are the Ruger LC9's to shoot? Are they comfortable enough to take to the range and run a box of ammo thru once or twice a week?

mudgun83
April 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
Some may disagree, and it's a bit pricier than you want, but look at the Kimber Solo too. I haven't had any problems with mine through 375 rounds. It's very compact, ambi safety, very accurate, but a bit snappy in the recoil. You might also wait for the Sig P938. Barely bigger than the 238, exact same ergonomics. The 238 is a real sweet shooter, with light recoil It, the 938, and the Solo will all weigh in in the low 20 oz loaded and are highly concealable.

scottycoyote
April 9, 2012, 11:31 AM
6906's are great guns but they weigh a ton....recently let mine go cuz i realised i never carried it.

GaryR
April 9, 2012, 07:36 PM
I carry an FEG PA-63 in 9x18 Makarov and I love it. It has an alloy frame and steel slide so it is light enough to carry all day. It's very good gun in my humble opinion.

KyJim
April 9, 2012, 07:45 PM
If you wait a couple of days, maybe you can help beta test the new SW Shield coming out. :)

RBid
April 9, 2012, 08:30 PM
I currently carry a PF-9. I love that it is so easy to conceal and carry. I shoot well with it, in it's practical range. That it's hammer fired is a nice throw-in, since I can thumb the hammer when I holster it. On the downside, it won't digest a rough diet.

I had an LC9. Great gun, except that the trigger is incredibly long. I can't shoot them consistently, and neither could anyone who I have seen or read LC9 reviews from. I dislike them, immensely.

Eventually, I will probably replace my PF-9 with a PPS, CW9, or CM9.

xLPlushy
April 9, 2012, 08:44 PM
If you wait a couple of days, maybe you can help beta test the new SW Shield coming out. :)

Ooo. How does one do such a thing?! Very interested!

BGutzman
April 9, 2012, 08:55 PM
For a couple a hundred more you could step up to a Sig P290.... Accurate, small, very well made.

Eppie
April 9, 2012, 10:09 PM
KelTec PF-9: Thinnest of all making it the easiest to carry and conceal. Reasonably accurate and very light and also cheap. Mine has been 100% reliable. Downside is its horrible to shoot. Trigger is awful. Recoil is incredible. I did the 200 round break-in in one session a had a huge blister in the web of my right hand. Took 3 weeks to heal. Not a gun for the range at all but for CCW its excellent.

PF-9 with CT laser and belt clip

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80414&stc=1&d=1334027278

fivepaknh
April 10, 2012, 02:00 AM
In the summer I dress in a similar fashion. In shorts I usually carry in a Smartcarry holster. I have an original Bellyband being delivered now. The Smartcarry allows me to carry anything up to a full sized auto with little problems. When sitting a full sized can make you look like a **** star. Most of the time I'll carry my LC9, LCR, or Px4 subcompact in the Smartcarry. I shoot my LC9 well every time. I guess with the LC9 it depends on the shooter. The long trigger pull makes it safer for pocket carry.

xLPlushy
April 11, 2012, 07:33 AM
Always been a fan of Sigs, but one isn't in the budget at the moment-unless I find one to shoot and fall in love with it.

I'm really interested in the CW9 and LC9. They're sub $400 and fell good in my hand. I have yet to find a Kel-Tec P11 or PF9 locally to see how it feels. If it feels just as good as the CW9 or LC9 than that's probably what I will go with as they're about $240 online so I would expect them to be within $50 or so locally.

I'm going to be going to a gun show this weekend and hope to be coming home with something that was mentioned in this thread.

Dashunde
April 11, 2012, 07:45 AM
The LC9 has really nice poly work. Its trigger is not so great.
The CM9 has good poly work. Its trigger is fantastic, along with its recoil absorbsion and overall shootability.
I've never liked the look or feel of KT's rough moldings, not even a little.

mrvco
April 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
I was looking for a single-stack 9mm with a full-size grip (no extensions) and the Sig P239 SAS was at the top of my list (I already have a P226 and a smaller version of that gun was appealing), but instead I ended up with a Kahr CW9... It's half the price, almost half the weight and noticeably thinner. It's also enjoyable (and accurate) at the range (unlike the S&W Airweight it replaced).

pjp74
April 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have had a Ruger LC9 for a little over a year. It is extremely comfortable to shoot for me, I have at times put 150 rounds through it at one range outing, never had a sore hand/fingers. I have put well over 750 rounds through mine, without one single failure of any type. The trigger is long and heavy, kind of like a revolver shooting double action, but it is smooth.

Just FYI, I am 5'8" and 225# and wear cargo shorts with my shirts tucked in all summer. You are not limited to pocket carry only, get a good tuckable holster, and the LC9 carries great. Hope this helped.

tahunua001
April 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
my brother used to have a kahr and he couldn't wear it in the summer due to rust from perspiration. eventually reliability became an issue as well. I would recommend a springfield XD subcompact 9mm, no issues with rust with any of them. also you might try a M&P 9 compact or ruger SR9 compact though I haven't had a chance to wear mine in the heat yet so I dont know how it does with sweat.

BGutzman
April 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
but one isn't in the budget at the moment-unless I find one to shoot and fall in love with it.

I understand, budgets are to keep food on the table and a roof over ones head... I totally understand...

That said, do yourself a favor and handle a Sig P290 at a store or range... Its small, maybe a tad more heavy due to its solid construction but to my hand it just felt better than the others in the same size... I am not in any way a fan of DAO guns and yet I love this little DAO Sig.... Of course as always get whatever you wish but do, do yourself a favor and just compare it to others that interest you..

Good luck, Im looking forward to hearing what you actually buy, no matter what it is.

INMY01TA
April 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
I'll throw a vote in for the Keltec PF9. Mine eats anything and is unnoticable in a Crossbreed Minituck.

Also may want to wait and check out the new M&P Shield.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/ryan-finn/new-smith-wesson-mp-9-shield-photo-leaked/

sserdlihc
April 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
I wish you luck on your endeavour.

I too like to wear cargo shorts but learned all to quickly the pocket carry was not for me. Before I decided on which ccw was best suited for me, I took a childs revolver type cap gun and put it in my pocket. I carried it around the house with me on my days off and noticed how many times I reached into my pocket to get keys or to put keys in my pocket accidentally.
I realized it wasn't for me. I was constantly putting my keys and pens in my pocket on the side that I was carrying.

I decided to carry IWB with shorts,t-shirt and a bowling shirt untucked. I had to change my wardrobe somewhat (bowling shirt). I was mostly just a tshirt kinda guy. But to carry, I decided to change my wardrobe to accomodate.

xLPlushy
April 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
So I took my dads LC9 to the range tonight, he gave me the 7 round mag with it. I could not shoot it to save my life, out of 14 rounds, 5 were unaccounted for on the paper, and of the 9 on paper, they were far from center in all directions, and mind you this is at 15 feet. Is there an 8 round mag available for them with a slightly longer grip extension? As for how it felt while shooting- the felt recoil was acceptable as was the trigger pull. The action cycling was great, however out of the 50 rounds put thru it there was one failure to feed, which happened when my brother was shooting it-but either way it's still an FTF. The gun was brand new with 0(ZERO) rounds thru it before tonight and no cleanings either, it was exactly as as it came from factory. I now have second thoughts on the LC9 based on the way it felt when firing.--I do have rather big hands so these little guns are a challenge to control as about only half of my hand is holding the gun.-- Makes me want to shoot a few Kahr's and Kel-Tec's, and maybe even a Taurus. I will definitely cheek out the Sig's, they are excellent guns.

Anybody have a direct link to the SW Shield? I can't seem to find it on the SW website and I know it was released today.

Also, got a new twist to my....wishlist....I'd be willing to take suggestions to .357MAG revolvers as well. Preferably with 3" or so barrels.

ETA: I will primarily be carrying IWB with either a tuckable holster or my tee-shirt over my gun. I highly doubt I would carry in the pocket as I use my pockets for everything and always have my hands in my pockets......however slipping a small piece in my cargo pocket isn't ruled out 100% and as I'm new to CC-just turned 21-I don't think I'd feel comfortable slipping a small piece in a cargo pocket-so I'd rather beat myself up and conceal my G22 than do that. But there is the choice to leave that little pocket piece without one in the pipe.....

Lots of great info to nitpick. Thanks to all for the replies so far!! It has helped me and pointed me to some models I hadn't thought of!

fivepaknh
April 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
I took my LC9 to the range today along with my Px4 subcompact and full sized M&P 9mm. At 11 yards I had decent groups with the LC9 shooting at 10" paper plates though it shot a little high. At more realistic self defense ranges I'm sure the accuracy is more than sufficient. I had no failures. Try different ammo and mag next time.
The Px4 shoots 2.5-3 inches to the left and the M&P was dead on. My new favorite gun.

Dashunde
April 13, 2012, 12:18 AM
I do have rather big hands so these little guns are a challenge to control as about only half of my hand is holding the gun.-- Makes me want to shoot a few Kahr's

Although the texture of the CW9 is grippy, you'd probably like the P9/CW9 much more... really nice trigger and you should be able to get all three fingers on it.

jwrowland77
April 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
If you can come up with a little extra cash or find one for that price, I would go with the Walther PPS. I love mine. Shoots very easy. Great all around gun.

Addicted2Shooting
April 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've been looking into the new s&w. The thing is tiny and probably packs a big punch, but for conceal carry where you won't even feel like you're packing, I think it'll prove to be a nice one to have

30Cal
April 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
I've had good luck with my Sig 290 in 9mm...a single stack 9...carries 6 in the magazine and one up the spout. Accuracy runs to sub-1" at 7 yds from a Weaver Stance. Sig quality, small printing under a T-shirt. Used, if you can find one, about $500 OTD. Rod (30 Cal's Dad)

Addicted2Shooting
April 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
There's a lot of good info here to consider...I'm trying to stay under $500 tops.

xLPlushy
April 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Went down to the show yesterday, checked out a lot of neat guns. My top 5 are the new SW M&P9 SHIELD, Sig P290 and P239, Walther PPS and S&W M&P 9c. I also handled the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11, PX4 compact and subcompact, Kahr's PM9 CM9 CW9, a few Bersa's, the M&P 40c, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry .45, and a Colt New Agent.

Now I must find a few of these and test drive 'em and see what I like best.

BGutzman
April 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
good for you XL, I hope you find the one that really works for you.... on a side note you may also want to see is the gun shop has a Remora holster or similar item to allow you to approximate what CCW would be like with each of these guns...

xLPlushy
April 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
Finally settled on the new S&W Shield. It feels the best in my hand and is the most shootable. Now I'm just waiting for the local dealers to get them in stock.

fivepaknh
April 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
You won't be disappointed. I love mine and now my poor LC9 is confined to the safe.

deputy tom
April 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
Kahr CW9 or other variation of their poly pocket guns. tom.:)

WVsig
April 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
I like the Kahr CW9 I found the PM9/CM9 to be too small.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/kahr-cw9.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/kahr-grip.gif

RRHFactor
April 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
I have a sig239, a ppk/s, a lcp, and just added a Beretta Nano so I'd have a 9mm. 200 rounds through the nano..a hundred 0f 115gr, a hundred of 124gr. Had 1 FTE with the 115gr,,,but I gave it a limp wrist on that shot. No problems at all with the 124gr....Like the gun alot...nice trigger too.