PDA

View Full Version : Steel in my old Mossy 500

PoorRichRichard
March 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
The gun is actually an old New Haven 600AT(about 25 years old), which is the Monkey Wards/Sears rebrand for the Mossberg 500 (exact same gun). Has a fixed Mod choke, and the gun has been great for dove and quail. Also used it for ducks twice this past season, and I'm wondering if the steel shot is going to screw up my barrel. Not sure if it make a difference, but I almost always use 3" shells when hunting ducks with steel shot.

PoorRichRichard
March 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
Bump. Any imput? Anybody?

okiewita40
March 31, 2012, 09:14 AM
If it is that old and will accept Mossy 500 barrels. I would just buy an up to date barrel on it and run the choke tubes. May even get a better pattern out of it that way. Just my opinion though.

big al hunter
March 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
+1 for the new barrel. It might be safe to use steel in the old one. That is around the time manufacturers were making all barrels tough enough for steel shot. If you get the serial number to mossberg they can tell you if it is safe. Try mossbergs website. I would go with the new barrel just for the ability to change chokes. If the barrel was not made for steel it will eventually wear out the barrel. If your gun is chambered for 3 inch shells no worries. If it is a 2 3/4 chamber :eek: Very bad for both you and the gun. A 3 inch shell will fit, but that does not mean it is safe. The crimp on a 3 inch shell will roll into the barrel and cause very high pressure.

PoorRichRichard
March 31, 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanx guys. Gonna call Mossberg and get more info. Gun is meant for 3" shells, so I think I'm ok. Been thinking about getting a new barrel w/ interchangeble chokes, but for the money, I might just get a newer gun for ducks. Thinking about a Nova.

big al hunter
April 1, 2012, 04:10 PM
Nova is a good choice look for the flex tech stock. Reduces recoil by about 40%. My buddy has one on a nova and I got one on a tc encore last year, love it. Best factory reducer I have seen.