PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr CM40 - Mag follower failure

magnum1007
March 21, 2012, 03:53 PM
Both my father and I just bought new Kahr CM40's this past weekend and immediately took them out back to start breaking them in. After the third or fourth magazine in my father's gun, he had a failure to feed. We pulled the mag out and noticed that there was a problem in the magazine. So we took the magazine apart and noticed that the front lip on the plastic follower had broken. The magazine no longer functions as it should now, obviously. So, my father called Kahr on Monday to tell them about it only to be told that they would call him back regarding it...let him know if they were going to ship him a new follower for free or if they were going to charge him for it. Not sure why it would take that long for a decision or why it would warrant a call back versus just telling him then. This is our first experience with Kahr firearms (we have MANY other types and manufacturers' guns). Just curious as to what others' experiences have been with Kahr. In the grand scheme of things, I realize that this is a pretty small and a relatively inexpensive problem to fix; however, it is also BRAND NEW and it should not have broken so soon.

We got them through Davidson's and have thought about just returning it through them but I think they would have us return the gun too and then who knows how long it would be before they had any of these in stock again in order to replace it. Not to mention we would have to back to the FFL dealer, fill out the paperwork, etc. all over again.

He still hasn't heard back from Kahr either.

Thoughts?

wild cat mccane
March 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
had a PM40 that did the same thing in 2008-9. The CM40 is the same gun. I returned the gun.

It is a known problem with the PM40 (google it) and when you call kahr they will send you a couple of knew followers that are no different. Kahr does not have a fix, it is problem, and when you point it out that it is known they will tell you on the phone they have never heard of it.

Shadi Khalil
March 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
This is not good news. I really wanted a CM40 just like I wanted PM40. Looks like they are having the same problems as before. Hope it's just an isolated issue and your pops gun is up and running with the new part. Please keep us informed and good luck.

rem44m
March 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
I sold my Kahr cm9 because Kahr mags are junk. I could never get one that was reliable and all of them had the infamous nose dive issue. I sold it for a G26 and never looked back. I'm very happy with the switch.

vyse.04
March 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
E-mail [email protected] . I had an issue with my CW45, and in less than a week I received a new spring and was back to shooting.

TX_Pipeliner
March 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
E-mail [email protected] . I had an issue with my CW45, and in less than a week I received a new spring and was back to shooting.

The problem isn't the spring.
The problem is those phenolic or bakelite type followers.
I have broken 1 magazine follower on my CW40.
Yes, Kahr sent me two new ones, but they are the same some-kind-of-plactic-crap replacement.

vyse.04
March 22, 2012, 06:45 PM
The problem isn't the spring.
The problem is those phenolic or bakelite type followers.
I have broken 1 magazine follower on my CW40.
Yes, Kahr sent me two new ones, but they are the same some-kind-of-plactic-crap replacement.

Sorry, should have been more clear when I said spring... The spring in my CW45 wouldn't hold the slide stop lever in place, not a spring for my magazine. Did the replacement followers break too?

JMC
March 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
When a follower in one of my PM9 mags broke, I sent Kahr CS an e-mail and described what had happened. I also included a photo of the broken follower.

This mag was a replacement mag with only 12 rds. thru it!

In about 2 hrs., I received an e-mail response and Kahr CS sent me three replacement followers for my mags.

Possibly your Father should do something similar.

magnum1007
March 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Though Kahr never got back to my father on the phone, today in the mail a new follower showed up for him. He is going to email them a thank you for the quick service.

Unfortunately this doesn't change the fact that these followers are not holding up...which makes it worrisome if used for concealed carry/BUG (pretty much what the firearm was designed for). What a shame because the gun (minus the magazine and follower) looks great, shoots great, etc.

Sulaco2
March 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
I own four Kahrs and have only had problems with one, the P40 that I purchased used. The slide return spring on the side of the frame was bent when i got it and the slide would lock open after each shot. Emailed Kahr and they sent me two replacement springs free. The same weapon's magazine latch wore out last month and would not hold mags anymore. Emailed Kahr and the President of Kahr emailed me back and sent me a free replacement.
I call that service! I have had a problem with one mag with the decribed "nose dive" problem, no problems with the 15 -20 other mags I have.
Just my $.02

aparootsa
March 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Anyone with a CM9 or PM9 have lots of rounds through mags with no trouble? Or with trouble for that matter? I wonder if it's poor material or whether it's defects in a material that's otherwise good. In other words, if you make it past 100 rounds or so, is that mag going to be good for a long time? These are the things I'd like to know to inform my decision as to whether to get one or not...

David the Gnome
March 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
I had this happen with my first Kahr CW9 back in 2008. I emailed Kahr and they sent me a bag with three replacement followers in it (although they never replied to the email or bothered to tell me they were sending it, they just did it). I have had no such problems out of my PM9 fortunately.

JMC
March 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
I bought my PM9 in July of 2011. It's the PM9094NA with an MSRP of $958.00.

As of 3/12/12 I have 1,307 rds. thru it.

Two out of 5 mags split on the very first range day, both within 425 rds.

After sending the gun and the split mags back to Kahr on their dime, and waiting about 4 weeks for it to return, a follower on one of the replacement mags broke after only 12 rds.!!!

Kahr sent me three replacement followers for the broken one.

I've not had any further problems with my PM9. As long as the mags don't fail, the gun is 100%.

I didn't buy my PM9 because I had to have a Kahr. I bought it for what it is, a small, thin, lightweight pistol for concealed carry with a decent power cartridge when a larger pistol just doesn't cut it here in FL during the warmer months and lighter clothing.

I don't mean this as Kahr bashing but, they have to know by now that they have problems with their magazines. It seems that they would rather pay their customers to send their pistols and broken mags back for repair, replacement or adjustment rather than do what is necessary to stop the apparent or obvious problems.

If you require further info on the Kahr pistols, check out the comments on Kahr Talk. (http://www.kahrtalk.com/forum.php)

You will find both satisfied Kahr owners and dissatisfied Kahr owners there.

wild cat mccane
March 23, 2012, 02:54 PM
Peeps seem to be missing the point.

Your mag followers may not have broken, but they are a known issue. PARTICULARLY with the PM40 (since it came out to current-google shows this is a problem since the PM40 was introduced) and now with CM40. The design is wrong somewhere that the mag followers are shattered in normal use.

It really doesn't matter how fast Kahr sent you replacements (they were fast at shipping mine too). There is a DESIGN FLAW.

When I returned my PM40 to Sportsmans Warehouse I had the newly replaced mag from kahr, with the shattered follower in it after the 1st shot with it.

magnum1007
March 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
Peeps seem to be missing the point.

Your mag followers may not have broken, but they are a known issue. PARTICULARLY with the PM40 (since it came out to current-google shows this is a problem since the PM40 was introduced) and now with CM40. The design is wrong somewhere that the mag followers are shattered in normal use.

It really doesn't matter how fast Kahr sent you replacements (they were fast at shipping mine too). There is a DESIGN FLAW.

When I returned my PM40 to Sportsmans Warehouse I had the newly replaced mag from kahr, with the shattered follower in it after the 1st shot with it.

Thank you for understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

magnum1007
April 5, 2012, 02:31 PM
Our second range session with both of our CM40's was somewhat disappointing. My Dad got his new follower and we both now have a second magazine for each of our guns...the extended 6 rounders direct from Kahr. His gun still experienced multiple FTF's in almost every magazine. We even tried using my magazines and got the same results. My gun only had a few FTF's...3 or 4 at most if I remember correctly. Both of us now have approximately 200 rounds through each of the guns. My Dad sent me an email the day after we had been shooting and said that he had taken his CM40 down to clean it and noticed the large spring in the recoil spring guide assembly had sort of a kink in it and was somewhat bent at the kink. He asked me to take a look at mine and so I did...mine looked normal. He called Kahr to order a new spring, which they would not sell to him by itself so he had to order the entire assembly. I told him to send the gun back to Davidsons instead, but he had already ordered the part. In my uneducated opinion, I think there is something out of spec and/or wrong with his gun and I think he needs to return it. He said he will send it back if it still doesn't run right after he replaces the assembly. Neither one of us is very happy with our first Kahr experiences unfortunately.

wild cat mccane
April 5, 2012, 03:11 PM
If Davidson doesn't take care of it remember most (EDIT actually I think Discover, Amex, Visa and even Master Card all do) credit card companies have excellent resolution and extended warranties when you use them.

Don't take any sort of guff from Kahr about it.

magnum1007
April 6, 2012, 06:28 AM
Davidsons, in ALL of my experiences with them, is AWESOME. I have no worries whatsoever when it comes to them. It will be the wait time that will be the worst part.

David the Gnome
April 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
Found the picture of my broken mag:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7971/brokenmag01.jpg

I would like to note that my CW9 kept on shooting flawlessly even with the broken follower. I didn't notice it until I got home from the range and went to clean the gun.

magnum1007
April 6, 2012, 01:31 PM
Found the picture of my broken mag:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7971/brokenmag01.jpg

I would like to note that my CW9 kept on shooting flawlessly even with the broken follower. I didn't notice it until I got home from the range and went to clean the gun.

That is exactly how my dad's magazine follower broke...exactly. But his would no longer feed properly once broken. Of course, it's not functioning properly with an unbroken follower either.

weldonjr2001
April 6, 2012, 10:59 PM
My PM40 broke a follower inside the first 200 rounds. Exactly as pictured above. I called Kahr, and was sent two replacement followers. They were gonna send one, I sweet-talked them into two.

Within 50 rounds, the same magazine had another broken follower. This time I gently insisted that I wanted the pistol itself looked at.

There had been some analysis by people on Kahrtalk that the feed ramp of the barrel was impacting the followers. I could not envision any other reason for the problem. I have 10 years with a K40 and 2 years with a CW40 behind me with no broken followers among the 6 magazines I rotated between the 2 pistols. Further miniaturization into the PM/CM40 has apparently led to this problem.

Kahr returned the PM40 to me with the leading edge of the feed ramp noticeably contoured and polished. Wish I'd have miked it for length before I sent it, as it also appears to have been shortened by the polishing.

I've only put 100 rounds through it over 2 range sessions since its return, but I feel the problem is solved on mine.

I'll add this. Use or ignore as you wish. I have dealt with Kahr several times between my bummer of a P380 and this PM40. (Never had a problem with the K40, the CW40, or my PM9) The Kahr reps you talk to on the phone are not the gunsmiths that will work on the pistols, nor are they the people who built them. Acting ****** and/or mad will not get you anything except paying for your own shipping. Calm discussion goes a long way into getting the shipping paid for and/or service arranged. Talk nice, even if you have to grit your teeth, and you'll find they can be very pleasant and understanding.

PH/CIB
April 7, 2012, 11:23 PM
Put 1500 rounds of various 40 caliber ammo through my Kahr PM40 almost every magazine failure to return to battery, failure to eject, failure to feed,,,destroyed four or five mags,,the followers and even the back of one mag split,,,sent gun back to Kahr three times never ever got it fixed right.

Google up Kahr pistols seems 50/50 some guys love them some guys hate them, personally I will never buy another Kahr pistol and would never recommend Kahr pistols or trust my life or anyone else's life with one.