PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34?

djcantr
March 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
I was picking up a pistol I ordered from a LGS and had decided before I got there that I'd take home a Glock 17 as well. I then handled a G34 and now I'm not sure. I don't intend to carry this pistol, just use it as a range toy and shoot some matches. The G34 is about $60-$70 more than the Gen4 G17.

I like the grip on the Gen4 better. The G34 has a longer barrel and slide, longer sight radius, adjustable rear sight and slightly lighter trigger. Am I missing any other differences?

federali
March 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
The G34 also comes with a lighter connector and the magazine release is a bit easier to activate. For a range toy, go with the G34. I love mine.

Mrgunsngear
March 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
The longer barrel will also give you higher velocities for the same ammo. I love the G34 and G35. They're fantastic weapons.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01397.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0900.jpg

C0untZer0
March 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
I think the G34 gets pidgeon holed as a range gun, but I don't see why a stock G34 wouldn't be a good nightstand gun.

Longer sight radius, more mass out front of the trigger, less felt recoil. The stock trigger is still a safe SD trigger IMO.

You might also look at the 17L - I have a lot of fun shooting mine, but there are some competitions it's not allowed in.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78298&d=1328242071

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74476&d=1318305938

iblong
March 21, 2012, 06:45 AM
I really like my 17 but for a range or comp gun the 34 would be my choice.
Longer sight radius and less muzzel flip.

bitttorrrent
March 21, 2012, 07:47 AM
is 17l still being produced?

I have several family Glocks, but for my first I would be looking at 34 too instead of 17 - Gen 4.

IF not for carry, why not the long slide. Glad to hear others like it too.

Now i have to add this to my immediate purchase list. Which is longer than my immediate purchase money pile!

Crow Hunter
March 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Depends on what competition that you are going to shoot in.

Some will put you in a more competetive class if you shoot a G34 instead of a G17. (GSSF for one)

I used to own a G34 and I used it as a night stand gun with a 33rd extended magazine and a TLR light on the dust cover.

The I actually used that combo to clear a little section of woods behind my house where I had heard a commotion at about 9 pm one night. That magazine got caught on everything under the sun and made it really difficult to move around in the woods effectively. Luckily for me, whatever caused the ruckus had evacuated the area. :D

I ditched the long mag after than, range fun only now.

With a standard 17rd magazine it makes a fine nightstand gun and alot of fun to shoot at the range.

bitttorrrent
March 21, 2012, 09:59 AM
remind me not to come to your house in TN through the woods at night.

We had something in the woods up in MI last summer - I didn't have my guns up there yet - couldn't even find a darn flashlight that worked, but neighbor brought his over.

It sounded like the Predator creature from the movie, very very loud and close to house. Was pretty scary.

Might have been a wounded coyote or racoon? Never saw it, but I am going to get a light/laser for my Beretta in future. And just the 17 round mags will do unless it is a wounded bear. Then I think we run into the house cause (17 plus 17 = 34) rounds of 9mm would just **** him off.

i think bears are farther up north though.

Crow Hunter
March 21, 2012, 11:00 AM
remind me not to come to your house in TN through the woods at night.

:D

It sounded like an animal fight of some sort. Got my dogs all stirred up and they wouldn't shut up. So I went out to see if there was something that needed finishing off.

No bears in my side of TN, if so, I would have just stayed on the porch and let the dogs have a fit.:D

9mm
March 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
A buddy has one, he shoots @ 70 yards with it.

:cool:

C0untZer0
March 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
The 17L is still being made.

They make small production runs of them - like 1000 guns. The last time they did it was around end of May 2011. Five hundred came to the U.S. and the other 500 went elsewhere in the world.

I've heard from people returning from the Glock armorer classes that Glock is behind on production by a hundred thousand units - I've heard figures ranging from 100,000 to 250,000.

I think they will eventually introduce a Gen 4 of the 17L

When they make them, they get snatched up. It wasn't in my budget last year, but when I heard Glock had whipped up a fresh batch - I went into debt and got one as fast as I possibly could.

shooter_john
March 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
To date, the Glock 34 and 35 are the closest thing to "perfect" I have ever found in a pistol.

mrvco
March 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
You guys aren't making it easy on me... I'm going to have a hard time resisting the 35 tomorrow.

ViennaGambit
March 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
I actually went in to my LGS to pick up a 17 today... I too held the G34 (a Gen 3) and I did not buy the 17... I will be waiting for a Gen 4 G34 to come in stock and then buy it.

I dont see the point to the 17 anymore when I already have a 26 and 19... The G34 will round out my 9mm Glocks perfectly.

Tactical Jackalope
March 22, 2012, 05:58 AM
My uncle shoots competitions with his custom Glock 34... he let me shoot it and I fell in love. I'm definitely getting one this year and handing it to him for about a week at the spa :) lol kidding. I'll keep it factory probably forever. Not too big on heavily customized guns.

Anyways. I'm definitely getting one :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Walt Sherrill
March 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
I'm a semi-mediocre IDPA shooter. I've shot most of my guns in that contest. I've done pretty well with my CZs and with my Glocks. For some reason, my scores are about the same, using either, but I always seem to be just a little FASTER with the Glock 34, even though it doesn't "point" as naturally for me as does the CZ. I don't feel ill-equipped using either and like both. (My favorite, however, is a custom AT-84s (semi-CZ Clone.)