PDA

View Full Version : scope and rings for a cantilever barrel

sharpi88
March 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have an 870 remington, 20 gauge with a fully rifled cantilever barrel. can someone tell me the best rings to mount to this and a good scope to make this a great deer gun. thanks for all input.

94bluerat
March 19, 2012, 07:54 AM
Many companies make shotgun scopes. Frequently in 2x7 power. I have a Leupold 2x7, a Pentax Light Seeker SG in 2.5 power and a Nikon Buckmaster. All work fine on my slug guns.

Get good rings and you'll be fine.

Eagle Keeper
March 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
I'am looking realy hard :eek: at Rem. 1187 with a cantalever mount, I thought it was the hot ticket for zeroing slugs, would one also have to have the barrel pined to be consecratutive with the right slugs ?? Or would Base and mounts on the receiver due?? any help would be of great assistance. Thank you for the time...><>...EK-OUT...!

zippy13
March 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
There was a recent thread where a factory pinned Remington slug gun was mentioned. Typically, pinning is used in conjunction with receiver sights. With a cantilevered mount, there is less chance of barrel wobble (within the receiver) causing a sight misalignment since the sights are mounted to the barrel and not the receiver. Of course, if the cantilever mount isn't sturdy, then the point is moot.

Eagle Keeper
March 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Thankyou, for the quick information and schooling, I see the light, or the crosshairs & Pinning. be well...><>..EK-OUT