PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Quigley & BPCR rules

MC One Shot
March 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
I have an opportunity to acquire a new Pedersoli Quigley in 45-90 at an excellent price. Looking at the rifle weight, it weighs in at 13.21#. BPCR rules that I have found specify that that max rifle weight to be 12.2#. I take it then that it cannot be used in BPCR shoots. Do all clubs that shoot BPCRs follow BPCR rules? I have shot BPCRs in all types of shoots but not in BPCR sanctioned events. Should I look for a rifle that is lighter in weight? This would be the heaviest rifle that I would own. Your thoughts and experience please.

zullo74
March 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Rules is rules. If you want to shoot BPCR, then it would be best to get a rifle that conforms to the rules at any club you may shoot at.

mikthestick
March 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
Sometime in future I will be starting a thread "which may be titled "Quigley and his gun." Thank you now I know exactly how much one weighs.
Sometimes rules are just stupid. You can't say a 13lb rifle is less safe than a 12lb rifle. This rule is never about safety.

zullo74
March 16, 2012, 07:51 AM
No one even remotely said this rule was about safety. It's about a level playing field. Many disciplines have weight restrictions, and none are about safety!

mykeal
March 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
I think that's what he said - it's not about safety.

But - I don't shoot CAS, so I don't know all the nuances of the various events and their regulations. Help me out here - your statement implies that a heavier rifle will have an advantage over a lighter one in BPCR competition. I understand from other posts here that people intentionally load their rounds down to minimum to reduce felt recoil (do I have that right?). If they're already shooting weak loads for minimum recoil, wouldn't the extra weight have little to no effect on recoil, but actually increase fatigue and thus the ability to hold on target over many rounds? I would think that a minimum weight standard would be more applicable.

zullo74
March 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
A heavier rifle holds steadier on target in the offhand position.

mikthestick
March 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Some people take the view "If its my ball I make the rules" My view is "Well play with someone else":)

zullo74
March 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
If that's your philosophy, then don't shoot sanctioned events!

Don H
March 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
mykeal, BPCR competition usually involves targets at ranges up to 1,000 yards (sometimes more) and not CAS-style shooting. It takes a pretty stout load to get those 525+ grain .45 caliber bullets that far.

mykeal
March 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
True, for slow fire where you're taking the time to actually aim, but for rapid fire a heavy rifle takes longer to get back on target after reloading. I assume, of course, that you lose the sight picture when you operate the lever and have to reacquire.

Like I said, I don't compete in CAS, so I'm just curious about how it works.

Lee McNelly
March 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
make some wholes in stock

KLRANGL
March 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
There are many 1874 Sharps rifles by Pedersoli in 45-90 that will meet the weight requirements, just not the Quigley. See if you can find a good deal on one of those instead?

mikthestick
March 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
I would not drill a stock but try to get wooden furniture in a less dense wood. When I don't like the rules of a game I look for a different game.

zullo74
March 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
I take it you shoot by yourself a lot. :D

dalegribble
March 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
i am not a cass member but i live in phoenix and have seen some long range buffalo rifle competition. most of the people i have watched used the heavy sharps rifles including perosoli, and those custom sharps rifles from those boys up montana way. the calibers ranges from 45/70 uo to 45/120's. once in awhile i would see one of those lighter h&r buffalo clasics but they were rare.

now remember i don't know or understand the rules but it seems to me if you look for the right club you would find your quigley rifle legal. i don't know why so many good companys would build their rifles to be too heavy for cass competition. matter of fact many competitions are labled "quiggley shoots".

zullo74
March 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Some of you people are mighty confused! SASS (CAS) does not regulate BPCR silhouette shooting the NRA does. Rule 3.4 in the Silhouette Rifle Rule book covers what you need to know to LEGALLY compete.

http://nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/Sil-r/sil-r-book.pdf

MC One Shot
March 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
Thank you for your responses. I purchased the rifle Quigley rifle today as it would have been cracy to let it go for the price.

I know that rules are rules even though some do not make sense and or even suck.

There are lots of clubs/organizations out there that have non sanctioned shoots and flex on some of the rules in order to get more shooters out with equipment that may be reasonably close to the rules and to have fun. It is these shoots that I intend to shoot at to start with and then I will look at getting a rifle that will fit the NRA bill.

Zullo74 - I take it you shoot by yourself a lot.:confused:

No I do not generally shoot alot by myself. But I do enjoy the commoradery of shooting with others and I take it that they enjoy my company as well as I get offers to go and shoot different disciplines weekly.

I now look forward to casting and loading some cartridges this weekend with my grandson and go shooting next week with him and some friends.:)

zullo74
March 17, 2012, 05:36 AM
MC,

My comment about shooting by yourself was not directed at you. It was in response to mikthestick and his philosophy about rules. Good luck and good shooting with your new rifle. ;)

mikthestick
March 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
I thought that comment was for me actually I don't/can't shoot anymore(long boring story). I had to laugh because when I did shoot it was usually alone.:D"I think I love this forum"

Jim Watson
March 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
NRA BPCR Metallic Silhouette has a rifle weight limit of 12 lb 2 oz.
Quigley can't play.
Put a scope on it and you may be ok for MS, the weight limit is 15 lbs for the scope class. Shooting the chickens offhand might become tiresome, but that is the price you pay.

NRA BPCR Target allows up to 15 lbs.
Shoot paper and you are fine.

And as said, there are outlaw shoots here and there that do not go by NRA rules and you can shoot anything that smokes.

Any road, that crooked military stock will benefit from a recoil pad and a strap-on cheekpiece. I used to use a Rand "bra" type wearable recoil pad but have now gone to the Shooter's Friend slip-on polyurethane. It's ugly but it soaks up the kick.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=163393By

I had a Cheek Saver on my Winchester but do ok without one on my Browning. Ol' Quig will want one for sure.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157928&TERM=cheek saver

rodent.22
March 17, 2012, 07:31 AM
It seems like guard dogs responding to legitimate questions about rifle weight.:eek:Throw a question in and watch it get ripped to pieces....

spitpatch
March 18, 2012, 03:44 PM
I would not want to shoot a 45-90 approx 60 times. Look for a 45-70 of the correct weight or better yet a 40-65. If your shooting the creedmore you might want a 90 but a 45-70 will do the job. Just my thought.

hayseed6971
April 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Trying to get into BPCR. Found a gun at our local gun show that is a pedersoli 45-90 with tang mounted Soule and blade front, but only has 28" barrel. The guy is a fire chief that is wanting to get some cash for his 2 boys so he can buy them 2 .243 bolt rifles to get em started in hunting. Guy is willing to throw in some ammo and dies for 1095.00. The gun is beautiful but will it be a good starter gun for me for BPCR shoots out to 600 yds?

Thanks all,

Hayseed

Andy Griffith
April 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
It is possible that just enough barrel could be shaved off the end to get weight down? The front sight might have to be moved back a smidgen...but it'd be legal. Or maybe some off the flats of the barrel would help too, and keep the sighting radius long. Every ounce counts, so take off any unneeded metal items too- wouldn't take a whole lot.

I did some "creative whittling" on a smallbore silhouette rifle a while back. :D

TomADC
April 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
When all else fails weigh it.

Jim Watson
April 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Hayseed,

You will be fine with a 28" .45-90 in BPCR shooting.
There is some interest in that length for metallic silhouette to make it easier to manage for the offhand chickens. And it will not take much off the sight radius for the prone/cross stick targets.

For any form of target shooting I would substitute a globe front sight for that blade, the Soule rear is just what you need.

To keep the kick down, you could try Fg powder.
A good recoil pad, either a Rand or Pact wearable or Shooter's Friend polyurethane slip-on will be a big help.

I don't know current prices, that is probably not out of line with good rear sight and dies included. Anybody else's ammunition has to be considered garbage to be recycled for the brass and lead.