PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point Carbine 40 vs 45

Irish B
March 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Alright let me pretense by saying this isn't a debate on wither or not the hi point carbine is a good gun or not so please save your breath. This also isn't a general 40 vs 45 debate as we have those on a weekly bases. I have already made up my mind in going to grab a hi point tacticool carbine as a back up hd and property fun and for general plinking. I already have a hi point 9mm and love it. Never had a single problem with it. The debate im having is if I should go with 40 or 45. Since im already getting a carbine I thought bigger is better so might as well get the 45 right? Then again the ballistics look great for a 40 out of a carbine and the extra round would be nice as the 45 is a 9 shot and the 40 is a 10 shot. My personal thought is that the 40 would reach out a little further and stay a little more accurate but the 45 would do more damage at close range but fall faster. I cant see myself using this gun out past 20 yards in an hd situation around the property or the house. Thoughts?

deerslayer303
March 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
If 20 yards is "your" use for the gun the .45 is my vote. You can't beat the slap that 230 grain slug dishes out. They make extended mags for em as well. And I know you didn't ask or care. But I'm a Hi Point fan myself and that carbine is a good reliable rifle. And if its not send it back they'll fix it!

Father Time
March 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
I own both .40's and .45's I love both rounds and both would be a good choice for SD/HD.

However If I had to pick I would go with the .40

Why? Because its a high pressure round (the .45 is a low pressure round) and as such it is going to benefit more from the 16 inch rifle barrel of the High Point carbine.
I'm not sure about "damage" but your probably not going to see much practical difference between the two rounds.

Ammo will be slightly cheaper too.

I love pistol caliber carbines they are fun to shoot and cheap to feed. But in all honesty the carbines that I really enjoy are the .357 and .44 magnum lever actions.

Irish B
March 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
That's about what I was thinking. Still stuck in the middle of the road. I suppose if I loaded my own hot 45s that'd be answer. Glad to hear you like your hi point carbines. Like I said I couldn't be happier with my hi point c9.

dlb0412
March 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
.40 is what i would pick. I know .45 fans wont admit it but the .40 will be more affective near or far. Better trajectory more sectional density higher velocity and 1 more round cant hurt nothing.

TheDeej
March 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
I'm a big fan of .45 acp. But, I know that like my bottle of mountain dew or my bottle of scotch, others think other ways. Out of a 16 inch barrel, that is the given velocity of 9mm, 40, and .45? I am picking up one of these carbine soon and am in a debate between .45 & 9mm. That's because I carry both calibers in my truck.

Sorry to thread jack, I thought this might be a better option than opening another thread and having every display case cowboy argue over the best round, cause I frankly dint care...
And I thought this might help reason between .40 &45, and in my case, 9mm

semi_problomatic
March 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
They share magazines with a pistol, right? Do you have a preference for pistol caliber? Then you could get a pistol and the carbine and share mags and ammo between both...