PDA

View Full Version : Bare-bones, zero-knowledge question about casting.

ScottRiqui
March 9, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm toying with the idea of casting my own bullets, but I wanted to ask one simple question before I dive into the stickies:

All the things I see about adding sawdust, candle wax, flux, etcetera - is that just for when you're smelting your alloy into ingots, or do you have add that kind of stuff while you're actually casting the bullets? I'd like to start off as close to "buy the appropriate alloy ingots, melt them and start casting bullets" as I possibly can.

SonOfGun
March 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Flux, flux, flux. I flux when melting scrap. I flux when the pot comes up to temperature and flux when I add an ingot to the melt. I use a dipper when casting and when the melt gets more trash on top I will flux again. For me it is an on going thing. The more you flux the cleaner the alloy. Seems like pain but it only takes 30 seconds. I use whatever is available and cheap, mostly old candles. It works for me and I get good bullets that hit the paper when I do my part.

It is a hobby I enjoy and the results is inexpensive shooting. I will guess to say the most expensive part of the finished round is the primer.

Instead of buying pricey alloy scrounge used lead wheel weights.
They are excellent for pistol bullets.

10 Spot Terminator
March 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Best to "flux" the alloy when first smelting and making ingots. When casting the boolits less is better. If you end up using a bottom pouring pot you can float about 1/3 cup of vermiculite found at any outdoor nursery ( plants and stuff ) and not have to flux again . The air cooling accross the top of the smelter promotes seperation of the metals in the alloys. If you are using an open top pot and a dipping ladle you will either have to flux at some point during your casting session or skim the dross off and only very, very slightly alter the alloy in the pot. Sawdust works very well but smokes like hell and you shouldnt add more than will burn off in as long as it takes you to stir the melt while holding your breath and leave the room for a bit to let it clear. I built a small vent hood to swing over my pot when fluxing to help with that.

Happy casting,

10 Spot

m&p45acp10+1
March 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
I just stir mine with an old wooden spoon for a bit. Then skim off the dross. Yes it smokes a little. I have also used walnut media for my tumbler as well. Just drop a lit match on it when it starts to smoke, and it will ignite, and cut down on the smoke. Stir it well then skim it off.

zxcvbob
March 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
I use lard or Crisco for flux when I'm melting scrap. It seems to flux more aggressively than sawdust or wax, and it's less flammable than candle wax or old motor oil.

When I'm casting (bottom pour pot), I use spent corncob tumbling media, and after I stir it in, I put some more on and just leave the ash to insulate the top.

GP100man
March 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
I like useing parriffin wax .it`ll smoke & ya can ignite it or it`ll flash ignite if hot enuff & it does a good job .

If dipper casting it`s important to keep the surface as clean as possible, but bottom pour ya can leave the flux/crust on top as an oxygen barrier.

But fluxing does one other thing less mentioned , it helps relax the alloy to flow better . Some thinks alloys will seperate but once blended it take a lot hotter temp than we as casters work with to make seperation happen.

Whatever method ya try or use make sure ya material is DRY !!!!

NO aluminum pots EVER !!!

mehavey
March 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
flux, etcetera - is that just for when you're smelting your alloy into ingots, or do you have add that kind of stuff while you're actually casting ?
First, I use pea-sized chunks of bullet lube to flux when the lead first comes up to casting
temperature (be sure to get a thermometer). Since I've come to use a dipper over the
years (even those using several big bottom-pour pots, I throw the flux in, wait a few seconds
to melt, then "glop" the dipper upside down throughout the molten lead to thoroughly get the
flux throughout the pot -- top to bottom. Scrape off the garbage that floats to the surface with
an old soupspoon (that you forever hide from your wide thereafter) and you are ready to go.
(Dipper will also look clean.)

Second, anytime you see "crud" begining to cover the molten lead surface again/cling annoyingly
to the dipper, flux again just as above. You're going to do this every 10-15 minutes or so when dipping.

No big deal.

m&p45acp10+1
March 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
Oh and there are ton of things you can use for flux. The important thing is to Flux. I have used media, crayons, bullet lube, saw dust, and stirring with a wooden spoon. All woriked to do the job.

For bare bones casting a garage sale sale steel stew pot will work to start with for melting down wheel weights. (Make sure you do it outside. If not your house will reek of buned tires for a week.:eek:)I used an iron skillet for castin for bullets for a year before I got my electric melting pot. I will not go back to standing over a hot stove anytime soon.:D

chris in va
March 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
See, now I don't get the whole fluxing thing. All I do is melt down my wheelweights, skim off the dross and clips then pour into a cupcake pan for ingots.

Toss them into my Lee bottom pour (highly recommended over a dipper style) and cast away. Never had an issue after probably 10,000 made.

zxcvbob
March 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
You're losing more of the tin and antimony than is necessary if you don't flux (skimming it off with the dross.) And fluxing may extract calcium from the alloy, but I'm not sure about that.

armoredman
March 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
mehavey, that's exactly the way I do it, with my Lee production pot. One bad thing is I have to cast in the garage, so two BIG fans and a wide open garage door when I flux. The neighbors STILL haven't figured out what the billowing smoke is all about...at least nobody's called the Fire Department.

Rangefinder
March 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
Armored man---you have it easy on that side of the fence. Sometimes it could be better to keep the neighborhood clueless. My neighbors, on the other hand, KNOW without a doubt that I'm a shooting guru, reloading and casting extraordinaire (their idea--NOT mine), and love to have me help them work up all manner of things involving moving something solid through a metal cylinder at high speeds... My latest venture was for the neighbor across the street who asked me to load for his FN 5.7... Five months after melting my brain understanding just how crazy this venture was, I have a fantastic performing load combo for it. WOW, what an adventure. Now the bulk session... It was frightening developing (no exaggeration)- I probably wouldn't have even considered--probably because I wouldn't buy one. But I get OCD on the stuff, so couldn't pass up a really good challenge. On the other hand, my other neighbor works for dispatch--never have to worry about calls being made for flux smoke OR shots fired, they always know the source when it's in my neck of the woods.

Back on topic... Sorry for the hijack. ;)

armoredman
March 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
Nobody ever comes over, and the car in front of the garage prevents anyone from looking in unless they come up on property. Not one has yet. :cool:

m&p45acp10+1
March 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
I have as of late been enjoying nice weather on the front porch. I could care less if the neighborhood watchess. It does smoke like no tomorrow if I use media, or wax for flux. If I use the wooden spoon method it does not smoke much at all.

An electric lead pot is a grat thing. No more having the whole house blazing hot from the stove running.