PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies as a "Jam"?

Seminole1986
November 29, 2000, 10:07 AM
This is my experience w/my InterArms PPK/s over 6 years:

A. on two occassions over six years, after firing the new round refused to be chambered and the slide locked open;

B. some ammo, but not most stovepipes; I haven't had a stovepipe in years;

C. frequently, after firing the new round will not feed properly and the slide remains open; this is remedied by pulling on the slide about 2mms and releasing.

Q1. Are all these considered "Jams" or only #A?

Q2. is #C a result of "limpwristing?

Q3. is this a good/bad record for a PPK? How about for a semi-auto in general?

Thanks

George Hill
November 29, 2000, 10:44 AM
Anytime the weapon fails to cycle as advertised and you have more rounds in the mag or cylinder... you can call that a jam.

Shin-Tao
November 29, 2000, 11:08 AM
As George says. Whenever the firing cycle is interupted.

Seminole1986
November 29, 2000, 11:15 AM
That's what I thought. Makes sense to me.

cobraman
November 29, 2000, 11:50 AM
George Pretty much covered it. I define a jam as anytime It doesn't work like it should.

SKN
November 29, 2000, 03:50 PM
I was taught and adhere to the definition that any malfunction of the firearm which the shooter is able to clear on their own is a 'stoppage'. A 'jam' is a malfunction requiring correction by an armorer or gunsmith.

Perhaps this is the same kind of distinction, discussed many times here, that purists apply to the terms 'clip' and 'magazine' when referring to the ammunition source for a self-loading firearm.

JMack
November 29, 2000, 04:57 PM
What qualifies as a jam?

Well, to start it is usually made with some type of fruit, when boiled and strained and processed it comes to a spreadable treat that goes well with your favorite crackers and toast.

Some of the more common ingredients are as follows, Strawberrys, Grapes, Boisenberrys, currant, Rubarb among many others.

It truly is a yummy treat that everybody should experience at one point in their life.:)

Sorry guys,
~Jason

Seminole1986
November 29, 2000, 07:09 PM
Well, maybe if I stopped cleaning my PPK w/strawberry jam I would get more consistent performance from it. I guess, it makes the cartridges sticky! ;)

James K
November 29, 2000, 07:53 PM
I don't know if the slide locking open is classified as a "jam" or not, but it should not happen, even with strawberries. Check out the slide stop and spring and make sure the stop is not being activated by a cartridge rather than the follower, and check the spring to make sure it is strong enough to keep the slide stop from being activated by recoil.

Jim

Jay Baker
November 29, 2000, 10:50 PM
What is a jam??

Anything that happens to your primary gun that causes you to go to your backup gun.

J.B.