PDA

View Full Version : Tuning S&W m41 magazines?

NewLoader
November 29, 2000, 12:35 AM
My Smith & Wesson Model 41 is having feeding problems. When I "rack" the slide to chamber a round, the round fails to chamber completely. The round is hanging up on the next round in the magazine. The rim is "digging" into lead of that round as it is stripped from the magazine, and of course keeping the round from chambering. Any Ideas?

George Stringer
November 29, 2000, 08:45 AM
NewLoader, it sounds like the mag lips are too far apart. You could try to adjust them with needle nose pliers but the fix is probably going to end up being a new magazine. George

NewLoader
November 29, 2000, 10:27 PM
I guess I need five new magazines! They all have the same problem.

George Stringer
November 30, 2000, 10:28 AM
NL, in that case I recommend you take it to your local smith and have him check it out. You're right that if it's happening with all your mags it's something else. If the gun is still under warranty I'd send it back to S&W. George

Cheapo
November 30, 2000, 03:53 PM
I srongly suggest looking into whether this is ammo-specific.

Also check out what would be the "dug into" are in a few rounds which have been chambered through the normal firing cycle. If they are also gouged (but slide velocity prevented the jam), you have further confirmed a problem. Try this with at least two different brands of ammo.

Does this also happen if you lock the slide back and trip the slide release? I like to load that way to increase the chances of having a consistently-chambered condition for all shots. Don't trust myself to have a clean release with the slingshot operation of the slide.

Also try a search on High Standard pistol magazine troubleshooting. There is a fairly well-developed body of knowledge somewhere on this topic, which would probably "translate" or "compile" over to your Model 41 problem.

James K
November 30, 2000, 05:35 PM
I have looked at several Model 41 magazines and checked the feeding cycle and I cannot get that kind of hangup to happen, and I don't see how it could in five different magazines. I am inclined to agree with Cheapo about looking at the ammo first. There are so many different brands of domestic and foreign .22 ammo today that almost anything is possible.

Jim

NewLoader
November 30, 2000, 09:37 PM
Jim, Cheapo, George, Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quote: "Does this also happen if you lock the slide back and trip the slide release?"

I always chamber the first round in this manner and this is how I discovered the problem...

I did a little "plier" action to the mags yesterday and got a little carried away... nothing would feed.

Today I re-adjusted the mags and tried a different Ammo had pretty consistent feeding but still noticed a little "Bullet shaving" Which has to effect accuracy...

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Cheapo
December 2, 2000, 10:36 PM
You'd be amazed at how much damage the driving band, the ogive and the bullet tip can sustain without making a sub-MOA bullet go above 1 to 1.5 MOA. I think it was Charles Newton maybe 80 years ago who systematically tested out these effects.

The biggest accuracy killer? Damage to the heel of the bullet. That's why it's easier to make jacketed hollow point rifle bullets shoot under 1/2 MOA than you can regular FMJs which have the open-bottom design.

But...why introduce even a minor variable into your group size equation? Continue the search, find the cause and slay that dragon!

Have you looked for High Standard magazine info?