PDA

View Full Version : H&K P30 On A Budget????

Sheep Doggy Dogg
March 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
I am a huge fan of the H&K P30. I went to the gunshow today and held one and it seems as if it was made just for my hand :rolleyes:. However, I cannot afford nor justify spending $900 on a handgun.

What is a more affordable alternative that would feel just as good and still offer great quality?

I would prefer to stick with the DA/SA trigger system but am not opposed to a striker system. I held a lot of guns today trying to find one that felt the same, but after a while, they all started to feel the same :confused:.

So far, what 've come up with that may be an option is:

Beretta PX4
Sig SP2022
CZ P-07
CZ P-01 (Salesman said this one was close in quality)
Walther PPQ (This gun seems very similar, it's just not a DA/SA)

Am I missing anything else under $600??

Edit: Sorry I left off the Sig P250. I know its DAO, but the gun felt great in my hand. How is in in comparison to the others listed above?? I do know that the first round of the P250's had some "teething" issues but supposedly have been fixed in the Gen2 P250's.

Thanks.

varoadking
March 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
I see that you looked at the PPQ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPQ

Condsider a S&W M&P...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_M%26P

Evan-0-Matic
March 3, 2012, 10:18 PM
All of your choices are EXCELLENT... In fact i wish i owned all of them.

I have owned a 2022, and a PX4. I only traded them to try other guns... regretted both ever since and now i'm working over-time to make up for it, haha.

The great part? The SIG 2022 especially, is one hell of a bargain (under 350!!!) I refuse to buy a new SIG due to the crap they have been putting out the last few years. But these (2022's) are fantastic handguns! Great controls (easier to reach versus a metal-frame SIG in my opinion) nice mags, and great handling. Nothing special about the trigger, but all n' all the 2022 reminds me a lot of the W. German 228 i used to own.

The PX4 would be my second choice, VERY accurate in my hands (shot a bulls eye with the first round, at 25 ft. the first time i picked one up). Great controls, can be converted to de-cocker only at home... and almost no recoil due to the rotating barrel design.

balance
March 3, 2012, 10:21 PM
If you prefer a DA/SA, I'd also suggest a Walther P99.

Like the H&K, it was designed and built in Germany, it is a 15-shot polymer 9mm, it has one of the most ergonomic grips in polymer pistols, it has a lever-style mag release, it is one of, if not the most mechanically accurate polymer defensive pistol design, and it is made by a top quality manufacturer.

Personally, I would choose the P99 over the P30 even if priced similarly, as I believe it is much easier to shoot. It has a better trigger with a cleaner break and a much shorter reset, and the fact that it is almost half the price of a P30 is just an added bonus.

You can get a used P99 for around $450, while a new one should be around $550.

sigarms228
March 3, 2012, 10:31 PM
The PPQ IS what you are looking for and another high quality German made and proofed pistol. Yes it has a striker fired pistol but it has a terrific trigger on it. The P30 got heavy influence in it's grip and ergos design from the Walther P99.

If you check the Walther forum you will find a LOT of forum members that own and adore their PPQs own or used to own a HK P30.

If you insist on DA/SA then I would suggest the SP2022 though it does not have the great ergos of a P30 or PPQ it still is a fantastic pistol with a great trigger and great accuracy. OR look at the Walther P99 AS if you can find one. It is a DA/SA striker fired pistol.

I rencently tried a Beretta PX4 and that is a fine pistol also that impressed me with a good trigger and how accurate I could shoot it first time trying it.

I am not as fond of CZs. Every one I have rented or dry fired at the counter at the local gun store left quite a bit to be desired in trigger quality for my taste though I can shoot my Son's SP01 very well and the trigger has improved somehwhat after a couple thousand rounds. Still I prefer SIGs and Walthers quite a bit more and a HK45 will probably be a future purchase for me.

RamItOne
March 3, 2012, 11:20 PM
Shoot the PPQ, M&P and P30 regularly, no similarities from the first two towards the P30, all great guns. PPQ better range gun, the .1" trigger reset is great. For SD the P30 wins.

P30 can be cocked while drawing very easily. The decocker for a right hander is great. The DA isn't bad (I'm used to the Sig P250 so most DA pulls don't bother me)

RC20
March 3, 2012, 11:23 PM
First of all, I hate those guns that have the safety that goes UP to fire.

And yes I own one (PPK). Mechanically sweet, function wise, ugh.

So, the P30 does not have one of those (though you can get a 1911 type safety). I thought I would like it, but have decided that I dislike it as the DA/SA is revolver like and I am fully comfortable with it that way (1911 had to have a safety for correct use, the DA/SA simply does not need it)

I have shot the P30 side by side with the SP2022 which I own.

The SP2022 has a good grip, but it does not match the HK. One of those disappointments in life, I was also on a budget and there just is not anything out thee that has a grip like HK. Its just perfect.

Keep in mind that the Sig you are supposed to choke up on the grip. It took me a bit to figure it out and I latter got confirmation from the Sig book that was the right way to grip it.

As for the rest, I think the SP2022 is a better gun (though I do like the button de-cocker on the HK, the Sig works just fine).

SP2022 is simpler as it has just two levers as they combine the take down pin into the slide release lever which I think is pretty cool

The SP2022 trigger is better DA (not by a lot but better) and SA its better let off as well as shorter reset.

The SP2022 is as accurate or more accurate than the HK (I will borrow it fro my brother again and get my laser on it this spring and see).

The SP2022 handles and shoot as well as the HK.

If you want to get as close as possible to the HK, the Sig is the way to go (not that I am opinionated but again, I have shot it 3 times side by side with my brother present and we switched back and forth and I borrowed it one day and shot it by myself).

Don't get me wrong, I would have an HK in a heartbeat if I could afford it, love the Sig and think its a s good or better a gun than those twice or more the price (with a bit of looking you can usually find them With Night Sights for $400). Some come in a combo package with 3 magazines. If you can find that get it, worth it as magazines are expensive at $40 (less with some shopping but then you usually pay shipping so....)

Fishbed77
March 4, 2012, 04:56 AM
If you prefer a DA/SA, I'd also suggest a Walther P99.

Like the H&K, it was designed and built in Germany, it is a 15-shot polymer 9mm, it has one of the most ergonomic grips in polymer pistols, it has a lever-style mag release, it is one of, if not the most mechanically accurate polymer defensive pistol design, and it is made by a top quality manufacturer.

Personally, I would choose the P99 over the P30 even if priced similarly, as I believe it is much easier to shoot. It has a better trigger with a cleaner break and a much shorter reset, and the fact that it is almost half the price of a P30 is just an added bonus.

This is great advice.

Be sure to get the P99AS version. It is the DA/SA version, as opposed to the (discontinued) P99QA, which has a somewhat clunky Glock-style trigger (and has been replaced by the PPQ).

Personally, I feel the P99AS is actually a better firearm in most respects than the (also great) H&K P30. The P99AS trigger is much better, the longer mag release levers are easier to operate than the stubby H&K levers, the overall fit & finish actually look a bitter better than the P30 (especially the polymer parts) and it just feels better in the hand (of course this last point is completely subjective). Walther's customer service is handled by Smith & Wesson in the US, so it's some of the best in the business (as opposed to H&K's which can be... a bit lacking).

The P99 has also been around for about 15 years and is a stupidly reliable pistol (the P30 is no slouch in the department either).

Of course, it's hard to overlook the fact that the P99 is about $300 less expensive, and mags and accessories are also less expensive and easier to find.

WC145
March 4, 2012, 11:36 AM
Check this item number on gunbroker - 275554246. It's a 3 month old P30 that looks like new and has a "buy it now" price of $750.

You know what they say - Buy once, Cry once. Save your money and get the HK.

IMightBeWrong
March 4, 2012, 01:23 PM
The PPQ is nuts, and I don't agree with it not being considered an SD gun. It's an excellent choice. I'd take it over the P30 simply for the trigger.

HKGuns
March 4, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'd take it over the P30 simply for the trigger.

However, you just "might be wrong".

I agree with the buy once cry once statement above. I own the P30 and the PPQ and they are both excellent pistols. I will be keeping both, but if I had to sell one it would be the PPQ. But I'm biased and I shoot well enough with most any pistol that the trigger isn't a factor for me unlike most people who seem to obsess about triggers.

If you absolutely can't afford the HK, of those on your list I would say the PPQ is the next best thing to the HK. But I don't have a lot of experience with CZ as they're really never done a lot for me.

IMightBeWrong
March 4, 2012, 04:48 PM
I might be, but maybe not! I have always shot better with striker fired pistols than DA/SA pistols. That was the determining factor for me between the two rather than the money, but a P30 is also on my list for future purchases.

If I were to compare the two more directly, I'd say I prefer the HK ergonomics by a bit. They're a little better executed in my opinion. It's also probably easier to find a good holster for the HK. But I prefer the extra length of magazine release on the Walther and it's striker fired operation because I shoot so well with it. I also love the nice click when it resets (much like a Glock, but shorter). In terms of overall fit and finish I can't say one is of higher quality than the other, even with the price difference. Just gotta pick what you like more if price is no issue.

wild cat mccane
March 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
the original poster said DA/SA

That means:
Sig 2022
Walther P99AS
PX4

Out of those the most similar is the P99 because HK copied the P99 in making the P30.
This is great for the original poster because of all the guns the P99AS has a better trigger, grip, finish etc than the others and arguably than the desired P30.

Next question. :D

thunter270
March 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm - Has the adjustable back straps, for that glove like fit.
Sig 2022 - Sig quality + value for the money
CZ 75D PCR = I got one and love it.
Stoeger Couger = My brother has one, very nice.

You can find a second hand HK P30 and save some $$$. Just shop around on-line.

The HK V3 P30, I believe will be my next purchase because of the great fit + good reviews on accuracy + light recoil feel. Sometimes when you really like something, just buy it. The prices are just going to get higher + you will kick yourself later.
I am going to purchase mine form "Top Gun" firearm sales.
$830 + about $15 shipping + at my local gun dealer a $15 transfer fee.
$860 to my home, I can't beat that + again the price will go up another $100 in no time.

Muad' Dib
March 4, 2012, 08:54 PM
The HK V3 P30, I believe will be my next purchase because of the great fit + good reviews on accuracy + light recoil feel

Have you ever fired a P30?

thunter270
March 4, 2012, 09:44 PM
Yes, I have a friend whom has one. It shoots real nice. He told me that the trigger was a little gritty out of the box. He put about 500 rounds through it, before I tested it. It shot real smooth for me.

TunnelRat
March 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
I bought an HK45c and PX4 this weekend. Shot both side by side tonight. I love the HK45c, similar ergos to your P30, and would marry it if I could. That said, I massacred my target with the PX4 and that was in 40 cal. I think I can learn the HK trigger, but out of box the PX4 is a breeze to shoot. Get one in stainless and it's very nice looking.

pistolero_loco
March 4, 2012, 10:39 PM
I own an HK P30 and a Walther P99AS. In my opinion the Walther is every bit as good as the HK, but several hundred dollars less expensive. Additionally, I prefer a striker fired pistol which the Walther is, and the HK is not. Other good affordable alternatives are Beretta PX4, Ruger SR9, S&W, and Springfield. I just don't believe the HK is worth the extra money.