PDA

View Full Version : ak47 ammo for hogs? bears? looters?

cajun47
February 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
im gonna hog hunt but the others are for sd of course. what bulk russian ammo type would be best?

i have a ton of fmj 7.62x39mm but what type would be best for hogs and the like, the russian hollow point or soft point?

there are more and more bear sightings nears my house every summer.

PawPaw
February 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
Howdy Cajun

I live in central Louisiana, so I assume you're talking about the black bears that live in the swamps hearabout. Any .30 caliber bullet should do fine for our local bears, Guys have been shooting bears with the .30-30 for years and the ammo you're talking about mimics (for lack of a better word) the ballistics of the .30-30. For hunting, I'd prefer the soft point ammo over the FMJ or hollowpoint, but if we're talking about a nuisance bear or hog, either of those would be fine.

Looters is another question entirely, and I won't go there.

Before you shoot a bear, whether nuisance or not, make sure you understand our laws regarding that species. In some parts of Louisiana bears are still protected and the burden of proof is going to be high if you have to shoot one. In other parts of the state, they are game animals and the exigencies of the season will play a role in determining culpability. Be forewarned and forearmed.

Hogs have generally reached a status where they are considered pests and can be taken anytime.

So, you've asked three separate questions that might have three separate answers.

hogshead
February 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
Soft points would be best followed by fmj then hollow points being last ditch effort.

plateshooter
February 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
From my own personal experience, the Wolf 154gr soft points work great on hogs.

B. Lahey
February 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
154gr SP

http://www.brassfetcher.com/7.62x39mm%20Wolf%20154gr%20Soft%20Point.html

Skans
February 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Other than for bears, you are good to go. AK's are not what I'd choose if I were in brown-bear country.

WV_gunner
February 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Do not use the off brand cheap hollow points unless you don't want them to expand mich, if any. They are almost a FMJ. The ones I bought were $8 a box and weren't much of anything. Any decent hunting round in 7.62x39 is gonna run around $30 if you can even find them.

FairWarning
February 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
Golden Bear SPs are probably some of the best Russian ammo for "moving targets". The Russian HPs don't really perform at the level we expect based on US hunting rounds regarding expansion.

But my fav quality ammo for international calibers is Sellior & Bellot when price is consideration. Very good quality and downright cheap compared to Norma or other comparable ammo, not to mention available in some oddball calibers.

bamaranger
February 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
I read a lot of good press on the 150 gr slugs in x39, but I'd think velocity would be way low from the stubby AK tube.

Brown Bear 123 gr SP got a nice write up in one of the AK magaziines. They shot the stuff into gel and it did OK. It groupd OK in my mix & match AK, but I have not shot any game w/ it.

The import hollow points seem to have varying expansion. I've only shot them into water jugs, and they went to pieces. But on line, in gel, some open, some don't. Better ammo out there, I'd avoid'em.

USA made 125 SP, from the big three, would be fine, if it groups and you don't mind the price.

FMJ on game is illegal in most places.

plateshooter
February 28, 2012, 05:56 AM
bamaranger, I can notice a softer recoil, and lower velocity when shooting the 154gr soft point ammo in my SAR AK type rifle as well as my 20" AR in that caliber. I have never shot any gel, but I have shot a hog that weighed 100 lbs more than me. It is a devastating round from my personal experience at closer ranges (50-75 yards). I will be using it again on my pork chop run this weekend. I do find that the 123 grain type ammo is more accurate in my rifles, but not so much that it matters at the ranges I shoot at for hunting purposes.

Mrgunsngear
February 28, 2012, 07:24 AM
Put me down for Hornady's SST round. I keep my HD AK loaded up with it. The terminal ballistics are nasty.

cajun47
February 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
"Hornady's SST round"

would that be the same or close to the vmax/zmax? cause thats what i have for hd against looters. then a few mags of 154 gr soft point for hogs and bear invaders.

Mobuck
February 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
From the reports(problematic feeding,poor accuracy,&failure to expand) I've received about the 154 grain SP, I wouldn't carry it home if it was a gift. Some shooters on here seem to have good results so maybe it's just a local thing. I've seen a couple of deer shot with the Russian "hunting type" 123 HP which showed a complete penetration of the ribcage-both one shot kills but whether it expanded could not be determined.
I got hold of some of the Hornady 123 SST ammo but haven't used it on deer yet. The description from Hornady indicates it really is a game bullet rather than the V-max varmint type.

Mrgunsngear
February 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62X39-123-gr-SST/

It probably is the same as the zombie round but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. It also has a steel case but for AKs who cares?

hornetguy
February 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
I can't speak for AK's, but my SKS feed the 154gr Wolfs flawlessly. I've taken two smaller (150-ish) hogs using the Federal 123gr soft points, and if I was going to use it for hogs again, I'd definitely go with the 154's... Happily, they shoot to almost the same point of aim as the 123's in my gun. In fact, if that's the only load I had to hunt with, deer, hogs, or bear, I'd be happy. :p