PDA

View Full Version : Decided on Glock 26

JGulley317
February 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
I decided on the Glock 26 as my first CCW, HDW, and range gun!

Reasons:

+ The lightest and smallest of my choices.
+ Recommended most by many friends and family.
+ Glock safety trigger. Oppose to lever safeties.
+ The only one on my list of choices that was available to rent.
+ I believe Glock is simplicity.
+ It's essentially a G19 with smaller barrel. If I want the capacity of the G19 or even the G17. I can use those mags for either guns.
+ Perfect size for CCW, HDW and a range gun.
+ I feel confident when shooting the G26.

The list could go on. The G26 meets all of my requirements!

Gulley

IMightBeWrong
February 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
If it's what works for you, you've made the right choice. After all, it's a choice that I made as well! Congratulations!

I've owned roughtly 20 pistols or so over the last few years. Out of all of them, nothing has even come close to carrying as well as my Glock 26. I think you'll find it difficult to carry anything else once you've got it in a good holster.

baddarryl
February 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
Love mine, but need to find the right holster that allows it to ride higher than barely above belt IWB. Suggestions?

JGulley317
February 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
baddarryl, I haven't done enough research when it comes to IWB holsters. All the research I've done so far is just trying to find the right handgun for me, which took me months of searching. Finding the right holster is my next task. I plan to CC my Glock 26. Which is a personal choice, in my state your allowed both CC and OC. Though I think with the little research I've done so far, the first holster I'd choose is a Crossbread Supertuck. You can get the Supertuck in a combat cut which takes the top off which could be more comfortable. They charge extra, though I personally would cut it off myself.

Here is the link: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

I'm a big fan of hickok45. He is one of the people who inspired me to go with Glock. He has a video of all the different kinds of holsters you can choose. He shows both the Crossbread Supertuck and another simular to it, but I believe not as good. It's made by ComTac. Crossbread also has a money back guarantee.

Hickok45's YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjUknHqvGY&list=FLBewh-uk6Y24fg9jZKEVZDw&index=14&feature=plpp_video

IMightBeWrong, thanks for the feedback!

I won't stop hanging out around The Firing Line for another Glock forum. Everyone has been very helpful and I like the non-bias people around here!

ATW525
February 22, 2012, 06:29 AM
The Supertuck and other hybrid IWB holsters (hybrid = kydex shell attached to leather backing) are great in my experience. I've personally used the Supertuck and the Comp-Tac MTAC, but there are other options out there that are similar in design. Most are adjustable for ride height and cant angle.

The Remora is also an interesting option, though I only use it for around the house. It basically "sticks" in place so that it doesn't require a belt.

ScotchMan
February 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
The combat cut is LESS comfortable. It is there so you can get a better combat grip on the gun before drawing, but the lack of leather backing there means the gun rubs against your body. That is why it isn't standard. I recommend not getting the combat cut unless you are a special case.

I have a Remora as well, for the price they are worth having.

Mrgunsngear
February 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
The G26 can make a fine all around carry/HD gun.

For IWB holsters--I can't recommend tommy theis holsters enough. I have 5 of them now, including a custom build I requested and had within 2 weeks. Tommy's a great guy to deal with and makes high quality products.

TailGator
February 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
I am very pleased with my G26, too. It fit the niche I was looking for in the compromise between capacity and conealability that is inherent in every carry gun. Accuracy and ease of shooting (closely related considerations) is impressive and reliability is 100%.

I use a holster that doesn't get much mention - the Desantis Inner Piece.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/GLOCK/26-27-33/INSIDE-THE-WAIST-BAND-HOLSTERS/copy_of_Inner-Piece

The tongue rides along the belt line and stabilizes the holster without introducing an excess of leather that can be hot in summertime Florida. I have been quite satisfied with mine, and it is wearing pretty well.

Uncle Malice
February 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
The G26 is an excellent gun. I personally prefer the compact and/or full size(G19/G17), but if you're comfortable with the size then it's superb.

Dashunde
February 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
The G26 is a great pick, but I wonder if you bought it already?
If not... Consider the G27 for versatility? :D

Same exact size as the G26
With aftermarket barrels it can run 9mm, 357sig on top of its native .40s&w
In .40 it only gives up 1 round to the 9mm G26.

I have one and love it... Just my .02

scottycoyote
February 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
ive got the g27 and love it....i have several holsters for it but ive gone to a clipdraw used with a mic holster (thats the kydex holster that just covers the trigger, attaches to your belt and peels off as you draw). I really love the clip/mic setup, id highly recommend it to anybody who's looking for something a little different, and its so versatile too.

AH.74
February 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
The combat cut is LESS comfortable. It is there so you can get a better combat grip on the gun before drawing, but the lack of leather backing there means the gun rubs against your body. That is why it isn't standard. I recommend not getting the combat cut unless you are a special case.

I started out with a standard cut for my G26. What I found is that the leather backing prevents you from easily sliding your thumb down behind the grip and getting a solid grasp in order to draw.

I made my own combat cut and have found that it is really no less comfortable, but resulted in a large improvement in ability to place my hand on the grip for a solid draw.

Uncle Malice
February 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
Another good option in the hybrid holster area is the Galco King-Tuk. It's similar to the supertuck/mtac but it's cheaper and readily available. I have one for glock and 1911. Very comfortable and has the combat gut style design built in.

I've been wearing mine with my Glock 17 for the past week.. all day. At work(office setting). Riding my motorcycle. Etc.. Comfortable and concealable.

JGulley317
February 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Uncle Malice:

The G26 is an excellent gun. I personally prefer the compact and/or full size(G19/G17), but if you're comfortable with the size then it's superb.

I wanted to rent the 19. Though there was no range around me that had the 19 for rent. So I'd feel uncomfortable buying it, because I haven't rented it.

Dashunde:

The G26 is a great pick, but I wonder if you bought it already?
If not... Consider the G27 for versatility?

Same exact size as the G26
With aftermarket barrels it can run 9mm, 357sig on top of its native .40s&w
In .40 it only gives up 1 round to the 9mm G26.

I have one and love it... Just my .02

Ohhh man! Give me a break here boss. That G26 is snappy enough as it is. I'm a new shooter, couldn't even imagine the G27. Give me time though, I'll get a .40 for my next gun most likely.

C0untZer0
February 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
I think you settled on the G26 and then built your requirments around it.

The lightest and smallest of my choices.

Well OK... obviously the Kahr CM9 wasn't in your list of choices because they're smaller and lighter and thinner than the Glock 26.

I feel confident when shooting the G26.

OK, so did your list read something like this?

1) G26
2) G26
3) G26
4) G26
5) G26
6) G26
7) G26
8) G26
9) G26

TheNocturnus
February 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Ohhh man! Give me a break here boss. That G26 is snappy enough as it is. I'm a new shooter, couldn't even imagine the G27. Give me time though, I'll get a .40 for my next gun most likely.

I thought that exact same thing until I actually shot my G27. I can manage the recoil better in that little gun than I could with my Glock 22. I sold the Glock 22 and got a Stoeger Cougar 9mm instead.

The double recoil spring is amazing and it really cuts down the snappy recoil of the .40 caliber round.

JGulley317
February 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
C0untZer0

OK, so did your list read something like this?

1) G26
2) G26
3) G26
4) G26
5) G26
6) G26
7) G26
8) G26
9) G26

It's not my fault that out of all my choices. The G26 was the only one to rent in my city. That's after going to the 3 most popular ranges in my city.

C0untZer0
February 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
Well the main thing is that you're happy with your purchase.

JGulley317
February 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
C0untZer0

Well the main thing is that you're happy with your purchase.

It fits the bill and I haven't bought it just yet. I'm waiting for the gun show that comes to my city every other month. Next one in 3 weeks.

ccbricker
February 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
Not a thing wrong with the G26. Hope you get a keeper!

Dashunde
February 22, 2012, 06:53 PM

Its your call and you got to live with it, but if you can get used to it, the G27 offers up about as much firepower in the smallest package out there (caliber/count/size) and its still very shootable.

Do I love shooting it at the range? Not really after a box or so, but thats where the 9mm conversion comes in.
Plink, practice and have fun with it as a 9mm, then shoot enough 40 to get/stay accustomed and quick with it, ccw it that way.

Some say that modern 9mm and 40 are competitive or equal in capability, I dont buy into that.
Shoot both back-to-back at all sorts of various targets and the difference becomes clear - 40 just smashes everything it hits, 9mm no so much, 40 makes the water bottle explode, 9mm makes it leak.
9mm needs to be pushed to +p or +p+ to match .40 in my opinon, at which point it too kicks hard too, so... not much difference.

I'm a big fan of 9mm in a tiny Kahr package, but I think the G27 packs much more cummulative wallop than the G26 does.
Again, just my .02