PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP 380 - first impressions

oceancon
February 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, new on the board and pistol owner. Have a Sig 9mm and just took my new Ruger LCP to the range the other day. A few issues I had were sighting (of course- new gun and I suck), but the recoil was much more than I expected. I dont have particularly large hands but the recoil was enough to shake it loose (not drop the gun but had to reseat my grip a few times).
And a bunch of misloading of cartridges - I was using Magtech standard grain ammo. This would happen after I fed a new mag in and pulled the slide. The hammer did not fully cock and I had to retract the slide again to get a round in the chamber. When I did that the first round expelled. I was wondering if a new gun would have that issue. I put about 150 rounds through it that session. I switched to PMC's at the end and didn't seem to have as much problem with that. Not sure if that was a function of the ammo or the fact that the gun was starting to "break in".
The last issue I had is the ejecting brass is straight up! landing on my head, shoulder. I do wear glasses so wasn't so concerned but thought it was weird. Another shooter pointed that out to me as well.

well thanks, any comments welcome

joe

oceancon
February 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
sorry- accidentally duplicated the thread...

mo84
February 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
I just took my LCP out yesturday with the same bullets and didn't have any issues. It almost sounds like when you are chambering the round that your not pulling the slide back far enough to engage the hammer but I could have read it wrong. I put 200 rounds through mine and did not experience any of what you discribe. You may want to take it out again and note every thing you are doing to make sure it is not operator error. hope you have better luck next time.

oceancon
February 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
thanks, I'll give that a try. I did notice that a couple of times it failed after racking the slide and ejecting a cartridge. i.e. I had to do it twice