PDA

View Full Version : Review: STL-900L Taclight

AndyWest
February 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/stl-900l-tactical-lightlaser-285.aspx

I haven't seen many attachment reviews so here goes, straight to the pro/con:

Pro:

* Installs on picatinny easily and securely without tools.
* Has "strobe/disorientation" mode which you may find helpful in intrusion curcumstances.
* Simple controls. You can poke the light on/off/temporary with your trigger finger and other modes on the side.
* Laser alignment is smooth and easy requiring only a small hex wrench.

Con:

* Rubber plugs over the alignment screws drop out and are lost easily. Same for supplied snap-in hex wrench. I lost both at the range.
* Changing battery requires removing the attachment, possibly hurting accuracy.
* Laser is offset on both axes.
* Laser is a bit "smeary" lacking a crisp, clear outline.

Mine came free with the .40 P226 "home defense" package. Otherwise, I can't recommend buying it seperately. It's fine for close-range and if you can get it way below MSRP.

Walt Sherrill
February 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Great idea, and a marvelous tool... but.

I had one, gotten in the purchase of an ANIB SIG 220 Super Match. Mine broke very easily, the second or third time I mounted it on my 228. A nearby gun shop has had several fail very quickly, and SIG seems uninterested in making them right.

(The instructions that come with it about how to adjust the laser are wrong, by the way. You can ignore that write-up and figure it out using the little allen wrenches.)

The problem is the plastic used in the mounting system -- it cracks easily and once it's cracked you can't keep the laser registered. Both the light and laser on mine work fine, but the laser is useless. The rear part of the left side of the mount on mine simply broke off. I was able to find a glue that worked well, but getting it all realigned properly was beyond me.

Maybe SIG has (in newer models) changed the materials used in construction. I hope so.

Mine broke in a way that someone handier might have fixed it. The others I've seen broke more dramatically than mine did, in ways that can't be easily mended.

If I had one that was more durable, I think I'd be a convert. The approach is good, but the implementation leaves something to be desired. As it is now, its basically a flashlight that I'll probably use manually, rather than mounted.

AndyWest
February 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
I've not had such drastic problems with the mounting but, yes, it does feel quite plasticky and I can see that happening. Also agree on the implementation issue. It feels like Sig deployed this as an afterthought. Doesn't have the expected Sig quality.