PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first AR

modoc
February 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'm buying my first AR-15, probably a Wilson Combat UT-15, soon. I have two 9mm pistols, a .45 1911, and a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 rifle.

I know I could build a similar/better AR from scratch for less money, Wilson stuff is overpriced, etc... I've heard all that already:) At some point I'd love to start building ARs, but for now I just want something awesome OOTB so... yeah.

I know everyone will likely have a different opinion, but since I'm new to ARs I wanted to ask for advice around accessories.

I want a SHTF/Zombie gun that's effective as a CQB weapon but is also accurate and usable out to several hundred yards. Hence the UT-15's 16" barrel and <1 MOA.

I'll be looking for a fore grip, flashlight/mount, possibly laser, BUIS, optics, and then who knows what... There's a ton of options and it's hard to know what's good from looking at online storefronts.

For optics I'm thinking a 3.5 or 4x acog with a RMR mounted at 1 o'clock. But I've never used that setup in person and it's not cheap. Any advice? I did shoot a SCAR with a red dot with a ~3-4x magnifier unit that flipped out of the way. It was slick, but the red dot scope that was on there (not sure of the brand/model) required VERY exact eye position to be usable at all and seemed very taxing on my eyes.

Anyhow, I'd welcome any advice or comments, as, like I said, I'm new to this whole area.

buckhorn_cortez
February 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Are you planning on shooting the rifle or just have it around to look at, and might use it if a zombie attack is imminent?

If you're actually going to shoot it, you might want to consider how you're going to use it before you overload it with accoutrements. If you're not careful, before you know it, you'll have a bayonet and grenade launcher on it.

I have a very simple setup on my AR. I have a 1-4x illuminated reticle scope in a Burris PEPR scope mount. There's an Insight Mini Red Dot Sight (MRDS) mounted on top of the rear scope mount. The iron sights are Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights that attach to the top rail at a 45-degree angle. That was the smallest, most flexible sight package I could come up with.

I tried a red dot with the 3x flip magnifier. That setup is larger than the scope + MRDS & the red dot + 3x visual quality is not nearly as good as the 1-4x.

modoc
February 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately I live in MA so no bayonet or grenade launcher for me:) (i kid i kid)

I will use it for target shooting at the range and at my sister's place in VT. I will not do any hunting/varmint shooting.

But you're right, I don't want to overload the gun, but I do want it to be very usable in both short and long range applications. What it the scope you use? Do you have any issues with the top mounting of the MRDS? I've heard some folks say that moving the head up and down is harder than rotating the gun to a 1 o'clock position for the red dot, but again, working off of hearsay.

Thanks!!

Devon

Therealkoop
February 17, 2012, 08:52 PM
Functionality and number of accessories do not directly relate. You want Close up HD and want to still be able to shoot at a distance?

Flashlight
1-4x illuminated reticle scope

Done. Good for close up with the true 1x and flashlight, and good for 500 yards on man sized targets (since you dont hunt, and mentioned zombies). Any weight you add to a rifle is just making harder/slower to weild and carry.

Buckhorn im honestly not bashing your setup, but why a 1-4 with a mini red dot? why not just use the 1 power?

Coach Z
February 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
I'll repeat what other's have said. Keep it simple, you're already buying a very expensive and fairly limited use item and talking about adding THOUSANDS of dollars in accessories. How about an eotech optic and magpul BUIS that cowitness...ie you can flip up the magpul backups and view them through the eotech. $600 out the door for the whole set

madcratebuilder
February 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
I'll be looking for a fore grip, flashlight/mount, possibly laser, BUIS, optics, and then who knows what... There's a ton of options and it's hard to know what's good from looking at online storefronts.

That's what you well have, a TON of options. It seems like 90% of new AR owners go through this accessory period, and 99% of them end up with a cardboard box full of accessories.

In your price bracket I think you should seriously consider a Noveske or Danial Defense AR. More rifle for the money.

Buy some mags and ammo and shoot the gun before you start hanging crap on it.;)

Marquezj16
February 18, 2012, 08:08 AM
Don't buy accesories until you have shot your AR15 until you have an intimate knowledge of your gun. The most important things to have are good quality mags (PMags seem to be the best one in terms of price and function right now) and good quality primary sights (whether its a red dot or iron sights). After that a comfortable sling is a must if you plan on taking any course or plan on competing. All the other gizmos on it will just make it heavier.

modoc
February 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I will hold off on any accessories until I've had the gun for a while. Although I have to imagine I'll still end up wanting a flashlight of some type, a primary red dot, and a scope with 3-4x mag. I don't want to overload it, but I do want it to be equipped to be usable.