PDA

View Full Version : Budget/value red / green dot optics

MoBart
February 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Im building an ak, found the mount/forearm I want and ordered it today. MI with the ML2 top cover. Its built for an aim point 30mm optic but, Im not spending more on the optic then the rifle lol. I found a sun optics on ctd I like a lot, and a sigjt mark also, Ive looked at a couple sightmarks and liked them, and have one of their flashlights that a fantastic deal at a super price. Anyone have experince with the sun optics? What Im looking for is a 30mm red or red/green or green optic with a 3 - 5 moa dot for under $200. The sun optics I looking at is a green rangefinding electronic sight for $60. Sounds awsome but getting what you pay for Im sceptical.

Te Anau
February 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Check out Truglos offerings.
:)
http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-truglo-red-dot-sights.html

MoBart
February 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reply, the trueglow stuff is well made and very reasonably priced, I will probably get the 2x with multiple reticles for my next project, I like the low magnification andchoice of reticles. For this project though I need a clone of or similar profile to the a%mpoint. I found the Vortex Strikefire and really like the look and review of it, Ithink it will mount properly, Ill be calling MI to verify compatability today. Anyone have any personal experince with this unit?

gggplaya
February 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
primaryarms.com has good sights for cheap. You could have bought it bundled with an ak rail and saved. $70 for an aimpoint patrol like optic, and $80 for an aimpoint micro like optic. The owner of primary arms is on ar15.com and has his own forum under the industry page. He garuntees they hold zero.

Elsewhere the Lucid HD7 is probably going to be your best optic under $200.

MoBart
February 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
I will check both out, thank you for the advice. The main reason I went with the mi forearm though, goofy as it sounds, I really wanted od green furnature, railed and solid forearm, and cowittness capability in an ak platfom. Its a lot to ask for I know lol.

Inspector3711
February 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Leapers/UTG from Midway. Better reviews than some $100 models, 40mm tube (nice big view) and $32.99 plus shipping. 5MOA red and green dot. Mine is great on my AR.

40mm:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/673253/leapers-utg-red-dot-sight-40mm-tube-1x-5-moa-red-and-green-dot-with-integral-picatinny-mount-matte

They also have a 38 mm tube but for some reason it's $50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551332/leapers-utg-red-dot-sight-38mm-tube-1x-4-moa-red-and-green-dot-with-low-and-medium-quick-detachable-picatinny-style-mounts-matte

Most bad reviews on cheaper red dots seem to be related to durability. These two seem to hold up well.

I'm a Leupold/Burris guy normally, but this seems like a good solid unit for the price. Right now money is an issue....

MoBart
February 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
I am really impressed with everything.I read.about the hd7, and Im sure its going to end.up on something I build soon.

Leapers/utg does make pretty good optics and I have one of compact ones it just wont work in the set up Im doing for this rifle. I was contemplating an ultimak mount and the compact would have been perfect for that. Im kinda looking for a tantal and will probably do the ultimak/compact utg deal on it.

Im pretty set on the vortex, and it comes with a 2x magnifier (I know the hd7 does also but its.not going to be compatable). This raises another question, will screwing the magnifier on effect eye relief? The sight will be mounted to the forearm upper.

Mobuck
February 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have a TruGlow red/green multireticle that works fine. The only problme I've encountered is that POI changes when I switch reticle shapes. Not that much of a problem since I just pick the one I like and stick with it.

gggplaya
February 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Did you check out the primary arms red dot?
Found Here: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm

The newest generation fixes almost all the minor complaints and puts it ahead of most of the other cheap dots. It holds zero, no one has ever complained about these dots holding zero. The new gen has a much brighter and clear crisp dot. Very close and just as bright as an aimpoint. The battery life has improved to about 1000 hours. It has a real on/off switch so that 1000 hour life is while it's turned on, it can sit in your safe for a very long time. They moved the led emitter to the lower right side so it doesn't block cowitness. Most of the other dots in this price range can't claim all of this, they've really got a winner.

Here's some reviews, keep in mind that primary arms is an upstanding company. In full disclosure instead of selling poorly assembled or mismanufactured items and passing them off as new. They put a huge discount on them and call them blemished units. Most of the torture tests are on these blem'd units because they were purchased so cheap.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64693
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2009/12/20/primary-arms-micro-dot-gen/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/325_Primary_Arms.html

Also, check out people torturing them on youtube. And check out their industry page as well, plenty of pics and feedback from the owner.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/325_Primary_Arms.html

MoBart
February 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
I did check them, out and they seem to be good optics, again,.Im putting this on an AK and cowittnesing on the upper handguard so the lower right is the worst.possible place for this cojfiguration as the sights will only apear in the lower 1/3 of the optical sightbplane. They do have a good piece of gear I think and good price. Just not right for this project.

batmann
February 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
If this helps, I just mounted an Lucid HD7 w/2X on my AR. VERY well made rig. I like the fact it uses AAA batteries and you can change them with out take the unit off. I have not been to the range with it yet, but I have no reason to believe I will not love it. If you go with the Lucid, try GunKings. They were the cheapest and the shipping was free.

MoBart
February 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks batman, Ill check them out. I am planning an AR build to and really like the idea f the hd7 it kinda fits all my ideas of cool and function and price or the ar. I was anticipating a red.dot with a seperate magnifier, haveing both come together and mount together like that really simplifies things, I kinda wanted more magnification then 2x but I can live wifh it, I mean we qualed at 500 meters with open sights inbthe Marine Corps lol.

My question is still open though, does attaching the screw on 2x magnifier effect eye reliefe?

ltc444
February 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
I would avoide Barska. The one I have is not visible in the AZ sun.

I have a thurglo with read and green on my m-4. it has a circle with dot in the middle. It is visible in bright sun and has held its zero for the 6 months I've had it. It takes a lot of abuse as it travels in my UTV when I'm working on my place in Eastern AZ and chasing varmits in remote areas.

MoBart
February 20, 2012, 11:51 AM
I had a UTG compact quick release/detach rsed-green dot on the rifle already, moved it to an upper handguard rail that I added Saturday night. I shot about 200 rounds through it yesterday, the qd lever worked loose about every 50 rounds or so. It does have an allen head adjustment and I snugged it down good but it was pretty agrivating.

gggplaya
February 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
After reading so much about the primary arms dot i decided to order one on friday. They shipped it out the same day so it should be here by tomorrow. I'll see how it stacks against my eotech, but unfortunately with the home renovations, my weekends are booked for a few months so i won't get to try it out for a while. I'm confident it'll hold zero as i haven't read or heard otherwise.

I looked at the Mi rail you bought, it looks about the same height as the ultimak rail that PA sells with their sight. I don't see how the cowitness would be any different. Aimpoint has their led at 4:00 position, PA at the 4:30 position. It doesn't block cowitness on an AR when you have it at a lower 1/3rd or full cowitness. It used to when it was at the 6:00 position.

MoBart
February 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
The mi rail wont cowitness usually because it sits just below the line of sight, o with a kount to hold the sight no matter how low t is, it isnt quite there, it does have a qiick detach lock system though. The ultimak sits well below the sight line so compact and very low optics mounts will work that way. The mi forarm I ordered is diffrent from the rail, but the sight mounts directly to a built in ring, no seperate.mount reduces height enough to allow the lower 1/3 cowitness