PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2012 D.O.D. Semiauto Handgun Trials Go or No-Go?

Will Beararms
February 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Just curious. Thanks. (See how I worked the title into the purview of this forum?:D)

ScotchMan
February 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Have not heard anything like this. Based on how much defense spending is being cut by our new Secdef, I'd be very surprised if this is the year they buy a new sidearm.

The last time, in 2006 if memory serves, they scrapped it because it was going to be too expensive. Things haven't improved since then.

TunnelRat
February 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
As someone who works in the defense field, my personal opinion is not likely. There are a lot of legacy systems right now that are more critical and needed replacing years ago that probably won't get replaced this year. Pistols rank far down on that list. While I love shooting pistols, and think there are some great alternatives to the 92 on the market right now, they aren't that critical to the warfighter.

C0untZer0
February 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
^ +1

It always excites people in the shooting community, but as weapon systems go, on the grand scale, the pistol just doesn't have that much of an impact on the outcome of an engagement.

Bunker busting bombs on the other hand...

ScotchMan
February 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
And even if a new handgun was selected, it wouldn't be the best handgun available. It would be the one that met the requirements and came in with the lowest bid.