PDA

View Full Version : Auto 5 heirlooms

sweetshot
February 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
Just saw some pics on here of a gorgeous A-5 that a guy may sell, (got it from his dad). My advice, DON'T!!!!!!!!! I wanted to brag a bit, too! Back in 1970 when I turned 15, dad took me to the local hardware store to buy me my first NEW gun. He pretty much picked it out for me as he was a Browning lover and had his own A-5 2-3/4" circa 1950's, (I guess that's where my love affair for Brownings came from, too). It was too much gun for a 15 year old, but I'm glad he did it! For $232.00 he picked out an Auto 5 30" full choke 3" magnum vent rib Belgium made Browning (at least it says "made in Belgium" on the barrel). Serial # is 70V63697. Browning's website doesn't list the "V", only that an "M" stood for standard weight, and "G" stood for lightweight. Anybody have an idea what the "V" would mean? (I assume it's for magnum) It also came with a blued trigger, not the usual gold. Everything is still original and in almost new shape. Only issue is some faint checking on the forearm that is barely noticeable and a small nick on underside of the stock. I haven't shot it since steel came out, but think it's time for a round of trap just because.... It's destined to pass down from my son to grandson, etc., when I'm called to the big trap range in the sky! Just wanted to share and bring a smile to all who appreciate these kinds of heirlooms! Some pics on the gun from my insurance policy are attached.

P.S. Help....can't figure out how to paste the picture into the dialog box, so I attached 'em.....

Salmoneye
February 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Damn pretty...

The guys at ShotgunWorld.com can help with the serial 'V', but I think it meant 3" Magnum...

Orphanedcowboy
February 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
1970 Mag 12