PDA

View Full Version : this a good gun safe?

cajun47
February 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Custom-Accessories-28-Gun-Security-Safe-with-Combination-Lock/16637511?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

being from south louisiana the water proof feature really caught my eye.

cajun47
February 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
o come on! 209 views and no replies. if its junk just tell me.

ScottRiqui
February 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
I have a Stack-On locking cabinet (nowhere near as fancy as the safe you linked to), and based on my experience with it and seeing some of their safes, I think they're probably a good middle-of-the-road product. The fit and finish won't be the equal of some more expensive safes, and it's probably not as secure (I didn't see any official ratings regarding its resistance to forced entry or surreptitious entry.)

But for a grand, it's a good place to store your guns, and the lock mechanism will probably be reliable. Unless you're really big into aesthetics, or you have some particular reason to believe you're going to be hit by sophisticated thieves with lots of time, I can't think of any reason not to get it.

cajun47
February 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
o darn, it only protects in 2 feet of water. or am i not understanding something?

Waterproof

Guns and valuables will be safe from flood damage when stored in a Stack-On waterproof safe. A synthetic rubber gasket and other sealants on the body of the safe keep water out when standing in up to 2 feet of water. Tampered locking bolts ensure a watertight seal when the door is closed. Safe must be bolted to the floor to comply with warranty for waterproof features. Special fastening hardware is included with each safe.

Mr.RevolverGuy
February 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
Go to tractor supply if you have one and get a much larger safe which is Canon for the same dollars.

itman
February 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
2nd Mr.Revolverguy. I have a Cheap Stack-on and it is ok... I could drill the lock in about 5 min. Bor for ~$800 I would think you could get a much nice safe. And for just a little more you can get a much nice safe.

rebs
February 13, 2012, 07:46 PM
Winchester gun safe at Central Tractor was on sale got 549.00
I like it better than the Cannon and liked the warranty better also.

Yung.gunr
February 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
For the price you could probably get better. I got a Stack On 24 gun for around $450.

Arrow55
February 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
See "Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video" on youtube (sorry, don't know how to post a link)

Two guys break into what looks like a pretty substantial safe in about one minute and 40 seconds

Kind of makes you think about what kind of protection you get from cheaper "safes"