PDA

View Full Version : new savage mark 2 fv

Fireman214
February 7, 2012, 07:18 PM
I picked up my new toy today and got her set up as a rimfire competition rifle. Here is the set up, I am taking her to the range tommorow to zero and my first competition is Saturday.

Trigger: Savage accutrigger set set to 3.5 lbs
Scope: BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 with the 40gr turret on it.
Rings: Weaver quad lock 1" see thru
Extras: Champion 9-13" adjustable bipod mounted on the swivel stud.
Ammo: Remington thunderbolt .22lr high velocity round tip.

I am hoping to have a good range report and competition results posted in a couple days. If you have any suggestions to improve my setup feel free to add your $0.02. If you want to flame, look elsewhere I am looking for constructive input.

.300 Weatherby Mag
February 7, 2012, 07:20 PM
You need to get some sub-sonic ammo... I like the federal gold medal #711b in my mark II... For cheap, but acceptable accuracy my gun likes Federal 510.. In my experience none of the current Remington rimfire ammo is consistent or very accurate...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/0612091537.jpg

At 50 yards... Darn flyer on the bottom right portion of the group... Shouldn't have rushed the shot to be finished before the line break...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/shootin1-16-091.jpg

Fireman214
February 7, 2012, 07:23 PM
I am going to change the ammo but my buddy jason gave a box of 550 rounds after his marlin had an unfortunate accident in a river.

bigoneslurk
February 7, 2012, 07:25 PM
i picked up a mark 2 for christmas and my only regret was not having one sooner. I have a good accuracy with cci standard velocity but i am going to give some better ammo a try this weekend

Lemmon
February 7, 2012, 11:48 PM
Bought my Savage Mark II fv about 18 months ago from Dick's. It was on close out and must have been brought back. I am sure the store would deny my belief but the deal I got was to good to be true. The salesman came down on the close out price and gave me a discount coupon. The Simmons center fire scope had no adjustment covers and that scope really was not designed for rimfire use. I bought a nice 22 rifle scope and tried it out and have been very pleased with the results using the Blazer 40 grain lead "cheap" ammo. I eventually figured out that to get a round into the chamber without jamming would be to gently push the bolt from the back using my right thumb and once the round was in the chamber then rotating the bolt with my hand to lock it in. After shooting it a few hundred times it has become smother and now able to push (gently) the bolt handle to chamber a round. Think I got one of the earlier models that I understand had such problems as I have had. I believe the current models do not have the problems that mine has. I bought the rifle for accuracy and have not been disappointed.

I truly believe it is the most accurate 22lr I have ever shot and besides that the price was great.

Lemmon

Yung.gunr
February 8, 2012, 12:45 AM
I'm no competition shooter. Just a guy who likes to go out into the desert and put hundreds of .22lr rounds through my Mark II. Ive had it for going on a year and have loved every shot.

Have fun.... They are awesome!!

Samuel2011
February 8, 2012, 01:35 AM
WOW! That's a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing that picture!:)

hounddawg
February 8, 2012, 05:47 AM
Nice rifle, I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I am a Savage fan but no Savage rimfires..yet :D. I do have a couple of CZ 452's though and they like Wolf Match Target, SK Jagd Standards, and RWS Target. These run 5 - 6 bucks a box but the CZ's just hate the department store ammo.

bigghoss
February 8, 2012, 07:43 AM
I special-ordered a MK II TR last year and I am very pleased with it. Totally worth the price. Now I just need a better scope with a mil-dot reticle.

Fireman214
February 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
Got it zeroed today and only took six shots until it was dialed in. I zeroed at 100 yards and the turret on the scope did what it was supposed to. After I was dialed in, I spun the turret to 50 yards and the first shot was a bullseye. I tried setting the scope to 25 yards and discovered that it shot about an inch and a half high. Very tight groups with the thunderbolts. All in all it was a very pleasant but cold day at the range. I will post my results from her first competition after Saturday. I will probably run Federal 510 ammo through it then and she how it likes it.

RubenX
February 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
The scope mount for mine finally arrived in the mail and here it is:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/RubenX_Longwood/Hunting/f16e0a7f.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/RubenX_Longwood/Hunting/2812baf3.jpg

bamaranger
February 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
My Mk II TR is a tack driver. Shoot a variety of ammo. If you're very lucky, yours may like somebody's bulk pack, but I wouldn't bet on it. Several of us have found CCI std vel and high vel to be very good, acceptable in our .22's.