PDA

View Full Version : Transporting an AR-15 on a motorcycle.

RubenX
January 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
If somebody has done it, this forum is the place to find him :D

Friend of mine got an AR-15, carbine size. Problem is, he needs to ride with somebody else to the range because he has no car, just a motorcycle. Attempts to disassemble the rifle's upper/lower parts and put it on a back-pack have failed.

Anybody around here has managed to do something similar?

emcon5
January 31, 2012, 06:56 PM
So this won't work for you? :D

http://www.gorillafights.com/photos/f85232a7c761a381f043354612b2f719.jpg

All I can suggest is to get a bigger backpack. I would think it would fit in a large Alice pack.

Uncle Malice
January 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
I do it about twice a week on my bike. I have 2 different bags. My favorite is the Voodoo Tactical double rifle case. It's slightly long, so you kind of have to get used to how it feels riding with it, but I can fit 2 AR's, 2 pistols, 8 PMAGs, and 4-6 pistol mags in the bag with no issue. It has large backpack style straps on it.

I also have a cheaper bag. It's only 28" and it works well too if you break the gun down into 2 parts. This one is a big more discreet and works just as well, but you're pretty much limited to 1 gun.

Voodoo Tactical Case:
http://slickguns.com/product/voodoo-tactical-padded-gun-cases-4497-or-lower

GRG case:
http://www.amazon.com/Discreet-Single-system-backpack-straps/dp/B004FXWI6W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1328054660&sr=8-10

There are many rifle cases with backpage style straps, and that's really all you'll need to comfortably carry it on a motorcycle.

Chris_B
January 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hmmm. My M1A1 fits in a pillow case....I guess your friend has a problem, but I can't imagine a carbine sized upper and a lower not fitting in a good sized backpack. Does he have a telescoping buttstock?

Tim R
January 31, 2012, 07:36 PM
I carried a tuned 308 Garand to the range to shoot a match a couple times, including all of my gear via motorcycle. I put the rifle in a plastic gun case. I sat the case a passenger peg upright. I then bungee corded the thing so it would not move. I tied the other gear down with more bungee cords. It’s amazing what one can do with a bag of bungee cords.

For the matches that would be a longer drive, (more than 120 miles) I have someone else transport the rifle and gear.

TriumphGuy
January 31, 2012, 07:42 PM
A backpack on a motorcycle is a bad idea, especially if it has something rigid in it. I would say find something that the rifle will fit in when it's taken down to bungee to the rear seat. There may be some legal ramifications in your state if it isn't lockable. Same goes for ammunition.

MOshooter65202
January 31, 2012, 08:03 PM
Times are different now we use to hunt off our dirt bikes slinging our firearms and riding wherever? Now I would put it in a hard case and strap it down.

Now I put it in the trailer,the turkey gun and Tom fits in there fine also :)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/tinman65202/CAMPSITEINGRANDTETONS-2.jpg

checkmyswag
January 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Saddle bags?

kraigwy
January 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
I've taken a full size AR (20 in barrel) to matches before on my Harley Sportster. I simple brake it down (by removing the two pins) and roll it up in rain gear and tie it to the back of the seat.

No one knows, no one can tell what it is. I carry ammo and pistol gear (its a Multi Gun Match) in the saddle bags. The gun sticks out the sides a bit but so do fishing poles, I do that too. No one knows what I'm carrying.

This is in the Black Hills which is full of tourist in the summer, I don't want to see them panic.

bigghoss
January 31, 2012, 08:40 PM
He could just buy a car. Last year my car got totaled so while I waited for my insurance check I found a '74 pontiac catalina in the paper for $400. That boat ran like a top and I even made money when I sold it 2 months later.

Nanuk
January 31, 2012, 08:41 PM
Really depends on the bike. I had a pelican case as a trunk for a few years on my DL1000 VSTROM and my broke down AR fit nicely inside.

Mobuck
January 31, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have a hardside case typically used for a takedown(double barrel) shotgun. It holds an AR carbine plus several magazines and is only 36"x 14"x 3". A motorcycle with large saddle bags is about 36"(?) wide.

MTT TL
January 31, 2012, 09:26 PM
For short distances I just carry across my back like in the photo in post #2. For longer distances (assuming you won't need it right away) break it down and wrap it in a contractor bag with a towel and tape it up. Strap bag to side of fender or back seat with a few bungee cords and a bungee cargo net (for motorcycles).

BitterTait
January 31, 2012, 09:31 PM
They make golf club carriers for motorcycles. It does scream "valuable" so I wouldn't park it at the local mcdonalds with the gun stowed away, but doesn't scream "gun!".

smoakingun
January 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
I just put min across my back. I have done this a few times with gun show purchases. I was even pulled over while hauling a 98k mauser home. Fl. law does not seem to deal with this issue, thus that which has not been declared illegal is legal.

TriumphGuy
January 31, 2012, 09:50 PM
Do as you like, but I would not want to have to go pavement surfing with a rifle slung across my back. I'm seeing visions of all manner of bad things happening from spinal damage if you land on it to a broken neck if it catches on something.

MTT TL
January 31, 2012, 10:01 PM
Do as you like, but I would not want to have to go pavement surfing with a rifle slung across my back. I'm seeing visions of all manner of bad things happening from spinal damage if you land on it to a broken neck if it catches on something.

I use a sling with a compression hook connection. I think the break weight is around 80 pounds. I have yet to see anyone have what I would deem a good result from their bike having excessive contact with the ground laterally, carrying a rifle or no. You got to keep that thing smooth side down.

TriumphGuy
January 31, 2012, 10:15 PM
MTT, you're right about keeping the rubber side down. Thing is, that's not always something you can control. Think about what's going to happen if you hit the ground hard and land on a solid object strapped across your spine that has some pokey bits sticking out of it. It's not going to end well at all.

arizona98tj
February 1, 2012, 12:16 AM
Friend of mine got an AR-15, carbine size. Problem is, he needs to ride with somebody else to the range because he has no car, just a motorcycle. Attempts to disassemble the rifle's upper/lower parts and put it on a back-pack have failed.

Is he riding double on someone else's motorcycle or does he have his own?

What failed....disassembling the rifle into two pieces or stuffing it into the backpack?

Mike38
February 1, 2012, 03:06 AM
I carry an AK47 in an “assault rifle” case on my back going to the range on my motorcycle. Five loaded 30 round mags in the pouches on the case and all. I ride down Interstate 80 to get to the range. I’ve never been pulled over, yet. Did have a State Trooper follow me for about 10 miles once…… I’m sure he called my tag in, found I wasn’t a felon, and then turned off.

It’s always a conversation starter when I pull into the range. Most people think I’m asking for trouble, but I am not aware of any laws being broken, even here in leftist occupied Illinois. Cased and unloaded, just happens to be on a motorcycle and not in a car or truck.

trg42wraglefragle
February 1, 2012, 07:50 AM
Nanuk,
What's the V strom for?
Do you do a bit of adventure riding?
If you do, how does it handle off road?

I've got a DR 650 thats really good off road, but its a bit under powered and the lack of fairings and wind screen make it not so good in the wind.

Also what brand AR have you got? I better ask a gun related question too.

rickyrick
February 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
Moshooter,

The cooler is just showing off,

I been thinking how to answer this.
Here its perfectly legal to openly carry a long arm in the open, but I can imagine it would be a long trip to the range trying to do so.

MOshooter65202
February 1, 2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry rickyrick that's where the turkey and trout go along with the adult beverages :D LOL

She's been taking me cross country for the past 8 years,we get lost for a week or two seeing the country....God Bless the USA!!!

aarondhgraham
February 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
...but I am not aware of any laws being broken, even here in leftist occupied Illinois. Cased and unloaded, just happens to be on a motorcycle and not in a car or truck.

Same for me in Oklahoma,,,
Had a soft rifle case slung across my back,,,
Riding my Suzuki to the SR&PC range out by Lake McMurtry.

The same County Deputy stopped me twice to check that it was unloaded,,,
One visit to the County Sheriff's office got that stopped,,,
I was perfectly legal and he was harassing.

Aarond

MOshooter65202
February 1, 2012, 11:10 AM
aarondhgraham way to go for standing up for our Rights!!

RubenX
February 1, 2012, 02:15 PM
@arizona98tj

What failed is that 6 inches of barrel were sticking out out the back pack. With movement and vibration the barrel slowly opens the zipper more and more. We could cover the barrel with a sock and tie down the zipper I guess...

We tried several back packs and they all were too short. But remember, is not just any back pack, but motorcycle/bicycle back packs designed for riding. They have additional straps that come from the back and hook up in the front to prevent the back pack from moving around in curves and change your center of balance.

About the bike, can't remember the model but is a small bike. Big enough for city but kinda too light for the interstate, specially when the 18 wheeler is passing you.

Marquezj16
February 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
I have put pistols into my backpack for a quick trip to the range, but have not even tried bringing a rifle. I might just have to try it.

hounddawg
February 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
Harbor freight trailer 160 bucks, hitch and wiring 300. can make round trip to the range on 1 gal of gas vs 4 for my Jeep. Tube on side for targets, setup on other side for target stands. Can haul 2 range boxes, 3 rifles, a cooler and 4 target stands

[IMG]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8039/dsc00258bh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/dsc00258bh.jpg/)

Fargazer
February 3, 2012, 07:07 AM
I ride a 650 Burgman. Eventually I'll purchase something like an Eaglemate Trailer (http://www.eaglematetrailers.com/products.htm). Until then, it's transport in the car.

mdd
February 3, 2012, 04:24 PM
I would double check local statutes about riding with a rifle across your back. Ignorance of the law won't matter if you are in the wrong.