PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel for Howa

Mesa
November 25, 2000, 07:06 PM
After 3500+ rounds the barrel on my Howa 1500 .308 is in dire need of replacement. After consulting my gunsmith I have found that a good (not match grade, just good ), replacement barrel with installation et. will set me back $500 to $600 and take a minimum of 2 months to complete. The entire gun was only $400 new. SURELY there is a better way. The gun shot sub MOA right out of the box. In fact, the only thing I have done to it is have a Timmney trigger installed. Anybody have a suggestion?

George Stringer
November 26, 2000, 10:12 AM
Mesa, that's about right. In my shop using a Douglas Air gaged bbl, $178, contouring, chambering, threading etc, $275, bluing the bbl, $40, and estimating shipping at $15 gives you $508. Most good smiths have a backlog of work. George

BBBBill
November 26, 2000, 10:49 AM
Look for a pull off where someone has rebarreled to a different caliber. Sometimes you can find these for $25-$50 in near new condition.

JK
November 27, 2000, 01:05 AM
Contact the Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood CO.
The students there build their rifles from barreled Howa actions. After taking the barrels off they are usually throw away items as they re-barrel them. Talk with the head instructor (John Stewart) and ask about buying one cheep. They usually take a cut out of the barrel near the receiver to make it easier for them to remove the barrel, so you would have to be sure that they removed a 30/06 barrel without making the cut. Just be sure to check headspace after installing the used barrel. CST has a web site with their phone number on it. The students have lots of new never fired barrels so give it a try. Good Luck- John K

weegee
November 27, 2000, 03:06 AM
Try the E. R. Shaw company. I don't have an address or phone no., but they advertise regularly in Shotgun News/Gun List. Should run you about half what you were quoted. Best, weegee.

Still, I have seen these rifles--though not in all calibers--for $320.00 locally (Texas). Why not just get a whole new setup?

Mesa
November 27, 2000, 06:25 PM
I'm doing both suggestions JK and weegee. I went and bought a Savage FP110 in .308 today AND I'm going to contact the trade school too. I appreciate the replies from all.

Mesa

JK
November 28, 2000, 11:18 AM
Mesa,
I talked with John Stewart at Colorado School of Trades last night. He said to give him a call and he will set you up with a good barrel at a reasonable price. Tell him John K. refered you.

Mesa
November 28, 2000, 05:16 PM
Hey JK, I called him and he made a very good deal for me. He's a really cool guy too. VERY helpful and free with information. Wish he were local for me. BTW: I was looking for a .308 barrel and I'm in Georgia. Not a problem though.

JK
November 29, 2000, 06:56 AM
Mesa,
I'm glad that John hooked you up with the barrel. He really was a great instructor. Anyone out there that is looking to go to full time gunsmithing school, I can tell you that Colorado School Of Trades was fantastic. It should be against the law to have as much fun as I did there. After graduation I opened up my own gunsmithing business, and after one year, it is doing very well. There has been very few guns I have not been able to fix or modify due to the lessons learned at CST.

mickthenailer
November 29, 2000, 10:58 PM
JK. Glad to see your opinion of CST. Our son is about four months from graduation and telephone conversations with him have amazed me with what he has learned in 10 months time. I suppose it will soon be time to start looking into machine tools. Any recomndations for a start up shop?

JK
November 30, 2000, 12:46 AM
Mick,
When it comes to machine tools I guess the question is how much money do you have? He will need a lathe that has 36"-40" between centers. This can be new or used. If you buy used, be sure to get someone to go with you who knows machine tools. A Bridgeport type mill is the best if you can afford it, but good work can be done with the bench type sold by Enco and Harbor Frieght for approx. $1200. Don't forget all the extras that are needed such as milling vise, mills, cutters etc. The cost can really add up fast.
Other things include a drill press, 12" disk sander, oxy-acd. torch set, bench grinder, electric drill.
I started out with a drill press,bench grinder,torch set,6" disk sander (save your money and get a 12", these can be had for about $100. from Harbor Frieght) and a good selection of hand tools.
I try to buy the tools on an as needed basis and let the job pay for them. I bought a small 10" lathe from harbor Frieght for $350.00. I cannot thread and chamber rifle barrels with it but it does good work on handgun barrels and for making small parts and tools. I am close to buying a full size lathe, but have not decided which one I will get. Then comes the mill. You can do alot of work without the major machine tools when first getting started and farm out the work that you cannot do. Not as much profit, but you don't have to send the customer away. Finding the right place to open your shop and getting the word out that you are in business are the hardest part. I live in a small community in Idaho with several other small communities around me. It does not have a large base of people, which is a handicap, however, just about everyone who lives here has numorous firearms. The next closest gunsmith is an hour away. I work out of a shop in my home that has it's own enterance. This greatly saves on overhead. I advertise in my local paper with a small weekly ad, put up fliers everyplace that I can and pass out business cards to everyone that I meet. The best advertising is word of mouth as long as the customer is satisfied that you will do a good job for them. It was really slow the first 8 months, but has been picking up greatly every since, as the word of my work got out. I charge reasonable prices (not cheap) and always try to do a little something extra for every customer when possible. I figure about another year at least before I will have enough business to go full time.
I hope that helps. Your son is about to get into the part of the course where he repairs firearms. When I got to that section I told the head instructor that I wanted every tough job that they had. Some students wanted only the easy ones. If you are good enough at repair, and prove yourself to the instructors they will give you these jobs. If you do a good job on the hard ones you will really earn the good grades and will learn much. You can pretty much learn as much or as little as you want to there. Pass that onto your son and if he applies himself he will get the most from his education. Also tell him to get as much referance material as possible. You will spend a pretty penney getting a good library, but it is well worth it.
Best Wishes, John K

mickthenailer
November 30, 2000, 10:22 AM
John K. Thank you for your in-depth and informative reply. I will print this and pass it on to My son when he comes home for Christmas.
John, just as a side note, have you ever used or had knowledge of Grizzly machinery? I own some of their woodworking tools and have had very good luck with the product and the service. Just curious if their machine tools were of the same caliber.
Thanks again for all your info.
Mick

JK
December 1, 2000, 12:54 AM
Mick, I have a Grizzly drill press and have found it to be a good piece of equipment. With a Jacobs chuck it has .005" run out, which isn't bad. The rest of their line of machine tools I really don't know about. I plan on talking with some machine shop owners to get some opinions. I was looking at the Jet brand machines. They are not too expensive and look to be better quality than some of the other equipmwnt that I have seen at a similar price.
John K. [email protected]

George Stringer
December 1, 2000, 08:08 AM
Mick, I haven't used a Grizzly product but I haven't heard any rave reviews on them. I keep an eye on a website, http://www.machinetoolauctions.com, for good deals on equipment and tooling. I got an Enco full size milling machine off the site about 6 months ago. Total cost including $500 freight was right at $1200. I got a Kurt 6" milling vise on a swivel base for $187 (sells new for about $610). I got my main lathe at an auction near home for $750 with scads of tooling. If I bought the same size lathe and all the stuff for it new it would run around $18,000. It's a 1930s vintage 18"x48" change gear. Weighs about 3 tons and does everything I've ever asked of it. I just picked up a Delta combination 6"x48" belt sander and 12" disc sander through the local trade school for $200. Sells new for about $1200. The point being you can get very good equipment and save a lot of money at the same time. Shop the auctions, ask at your local vocational schools about when they sell their equipment. Local machine shops are alway buying and selling. The advice you were given about having a knowledgeable person with you when looking over used machinery is definitely correct. George

BBBBill
December 1, 2000, 01:00 PM
George, your url boloed on me. Please check it & repost. I'm always looking to add tools. BTW, anyone know how to go about changing a mill from B&S collets to R-8 or C-5?