PDA

View Full Version : 32 Spl Likes LeveRevolution Powder

TXGunNut
January 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
WARNING: There is very little published data on this powder in this cartridge and next to none with this bullet. The loads below seem to be well within safe operating pressures but use at your own risk. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Finally found a powder my rifle likes under the 323-170 RD bullet. Larry Gibson has tested and discussed this powder quite extensively on the other forum so after a few PM's he suggested a starting load of 34grs. Pretty much nailed it! 34.0 was good, 34.3 was a tiny bit better and 34.6 was pretty good as well. Group fell apart dramatically @ 34.9 grs. Will continue to test at least the first three loads in the near future. Rifle wears no glass, eyes were having a good day with the peeps!
Crimp is inconsistent with the WW cases so I have some Hornady cases enroute from our friend Larry. I had one called flier on the second target but at least a couple others were due to the crimp issues. Wish RP would sell 32 Spl cases, can't even get them to do a run of 35 Rem's these days.

CowTowner
January 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Looks like you may finally have found a winner for that baby.
Good deal.
New Glasses? ;)

TXGunNut
January 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
Mebbe so, CowTowner. Off to a good start anyway. New cases might help too.
You been talking to my eye doctor? His reminder letters haven't produced the effect he was looking for. ;) New glasses sometimes make the front sight even harder to find.

CowTowner
January 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sounds like a discussion to be had with him. Perhaps it's trifocals time? :D

TXGunNut
January 31, 2012, 09:55 PM
Progressives now. Some days better than others.

salvadore
February 4, 2012, 11:18 PM
That's a kwinky dink, I had my 94 out yesterday burning thru the last ten of my lovern loads, I think 20grs of 4198, and was seeing pretty good too. BTW, I trimmed all of my 32 spec. brass with the lee trimmer and a drill and they were all shorter than spec except one. I think I am getting pretty consistant crimps, and I crimp lightly. I have the ranch dog also as well as a lee 8mm and lovern, they all seem to shoot about the same.

TXGunNut
February 5, 2012, 12:33 AM
Went to the range today, Sal, never got the guns unloaded. Place was very busy so I hung out/helped in the store. I think a uniform crimp will be the key to making this rifle/cartridge work. I think 4198 should have worked for me as well, tried Varget and 748 too. One of them should have worked but this new powder shows promise even with inconsistent crimps. Should be very interesting w/ good crimps. I use a moderate roll crimp.
No idea what a lovern bullet is, need to check that out.

salvadore
February 5, 2012, 05:18 AM
I think they are a Lovern design, round nose with about a gazillion grease grooves.

TXGunNut
February 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
Found a bit about Loverin, he designed several classic bore-riding designs. I think RD is a fan of his work.

TXGunNut
February 6, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hornady cases cut down on the flyers but eyes were a bit off today. Didn't help that I played with my Uberti in 45 Colt first and (may have ;) ) developed a bit of a flinch. As I suspected the Hornady cases needed a few tenth's of a gr more LeveRevolution powder than the WW cases.
I'm afraid that with my eyes a globe front sight will be necessary to shoot tighter or farther. For those of you looking for the 5th round for group 6A, it's in the boolit hole @ about 5 o'clock.