PDA

View Full Version : Hi Standard Sport King SK-100 owners?

ftgfloors
January 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have a High Standard SK-100 Sport King and I have searched a lot across the internet and I can not figure out what the best ammo is the shoot with this gun. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

RUT
January 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
CCI "standard velocity" is typically recommended for H.S. .22s. However, high velocity ammo is not recommended, due to supposed frame cracking issues. Unless you're one of the lucky ones, be prepared for ammo feeding difficulties, as magazine "feed lip" adjustments are critical due to High Standard's lack of a feed ramp as such. You'd best join this forum for best advise on the subject. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Good luck!

ftgfloors
January 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
cool ill look into that.. thanks for the reply

BigJimP
January 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
Mine prefers standard velocity ammo too ....but whether its CCI, Federal, etc ...doesn't really seem to make any difference.

Olympus
January 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
I don't own that particular model, but I do own 4 other older High Standards. I would recommend you buy one box of every standard velocity ammo that you can find. Try them all through your gun to see which brand works best. Then go out and buy a brick or two of that brand.

Hal
January 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
However, high velocity ammo is not recommended, due to supposed frame cracking issues.
There's no documented issues of High Standard Sport Kings having their frames crack due to using high velocity ammo.
I have two of them and researched the heck out of it.

Having said that - I would suggest erring on the side of caution and heeding the advice to stay away from anything but standard velocity ammo.
The gun will probably shoot the standard velocity better also.

Save the high velocity bulk junk for a Ruger or Buckmark.
None of my Rugers or Buckmarks object to it.

kraigwy
January 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
When I ran the Ak NG Marksmanship unit our pistol teams had a varity of 22 pistols, Smith 41s, and various types of High Standards.

Some guns (even the same brands and models) were picky regarding ammo.

We found that Remington Green Box Target came the closest to being reliable in all the guns.

It may not be the most accurate, We had to carry several different brands of target ammo to meet the accuracy requirments of some guns, but that more delt with 22 Target Rifles.

The Rem Green Box was accurate enough to keep them in the X-10 ring at 50 yards so if you didn't clean the targets it was the shooter not the ammo.

Again rifles are different. You have to put in some work to find what works in rifles when shooting ISU targets.

bedbugbilly
January 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
ftgfloors - I saw your post and curiousity got the best of me. You don't state why you are asking about the ammo - are you having problems with what you are using and if so, what?

I had a HS SportKing that my Dad bought new in 1957. I don't think he ever fired more than a box of ammo through it. When he passed away, I ended up with it. I had a heck of a time getting it to function. At least once during a clip full, and usually in the first two or three rounds, the cartridge would feed too high and jamb the slide as it came forward - the lead bullet would end up almost sheared in half as it feed high and hit the top of the bore. The pistol had three HS magazines and I could get none of them to work. I tried a variety of LR ammo and still had the same problem. I am surprised that jamming like it did, a cartridge didn't go off with the slide partially closed and back in to battery.

Don['t get me wrong - I have always heard great things about HS pistols and I know a lot of fellows really like them. I could never find a smith who could figure out what was wrong with the one I had. I finally traded it off and told the gun dealer that I was dealing with what the problem was - he didn't seem concerned so I didn't worry about it. My Dad was not too fond of it - probably for the same reasons I wasn't so it didn't have any sentimental value to me.

Maybe one of you fellows who are familiar with the HS SportKing can shed som light on to what the problem was with the one I had? I don't remember any model number on it other than it was HS SportKing.

And yes, I was using Long Rifles all of the time.

Thanks!

RUT
January 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
>>The pistol had three HS magazines and I could get none of them to work. I tried a variety of LR ammo and still had the same problem. I am surprised that jamming like it did, a cartridge didn't go off with the slide partially closed and back in to battery.<<

See my prior post...#2

ftgfloors
January 31, 2012, 07:58 AM
yes, i am having problems with some different types and that is why i posted...

guys i really have to thank you for all the responses i wasnt even sure if i was going to get one... thanks a lot for all your help

bedbugbilly
January 31, 2012, 02:42 PM
RUT - thanks for your reply . . . I read your post but failed to mention that the gunsmith that I took mine to did try adjusting those lips . . . my guess is that he probably wasn't that experienced at doing it as it still had the same problems. If I remember correctly, one of the clips was a little bit different than the other two - I'm sure one came with the pistol and my Dad purchased the two extras - they were still in the original boxes.

Because of the problems I had, I've always sidestepped another HS. Did they ever get the bugs worked out of this or make a design change or were all of their models (semi auto 22s) the same way?

RUT
January 31, 2012, 03:29 PM
PM sent............

cohoskip
February 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
I had a High Standard Trophy and used High velocity ammo in it, not knowing that it was not recommended. It started jamming and ended up in the care of a gunsmith who told me to use standard velocity ammo. After that it ran fine...