PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77

MNDroptyne
January 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey guys I am looking for some info once again. I just bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather .308 I havent had the chance to get out and try it but what I am wondering is because I have read several things online about some guys saying that they are junk and some guys say they are great as far as accuracy goes. I bought it to take deer hunting when I'm not using my 1894c, perhaps to montana for mule deer (200-300yd shots) and maybe out elk hunting too. Did I buy a piece of crap?

Brian Pfleuger
January 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
No. You didn't.

On the Internet, everything is crap. It's not like the real world.

PawPaw
January 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
some guys saying that they are junk

Junk is something you take to the scrap yard. The current fashion of calling things "junk" normally means that the writer 1) doesn't know what he's talking about, or 2) is unable to articulate a rational opinion, or 3) isn't interested in learning to use the product in question. When you hear someone say that a rifle is "junk", it's normally the writer's opinion that should be suspect. Calling something "junk" is laziness.

The Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye is a hunting rifle. While I don't have any Hawkeyes, I do have two Model 77s and they're fine hunting rifles. They're not going to exhibit the accuracy of a match-tuned, benchrest rifle, but they're not intended to be. That having been said, my Ruger 77 in 25-06 turns in 0.8" groups at 100 yards when I do my part.

I suspect that your Ruger will do just fine when used in the manner it was intended to be used.

uncyboo
January 26, 2012, 11:18 AM

...the perfect reaponse... you may now close the thread.

Flatbush Harry
January 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
Oh, and for the record, I have two Rugers: a No. 1A in 6.5x55 Swedish and a full stock stainless carbine in .308. I took them to the range again last Saturday. Both shot to less than 1" with handloads and functioned flawlessly. On their website, I dropped a note to the CEO...got a nice logo hat and note in the mail yesterday.

I've used Ruger SA revolvers for 35 years but these were my first rifles...they won't be my last. I'm now debating between a M77 African in 9.3x62 or a .375 Ruger. Great rifles.

FH

warbirdlover
January 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
The older (early versions) of the 77 had barrels that they bought and weren't that great so they got a bad rep. Ruger has been making their own barrels for a long time and they are super good. I've had a Ruger 77 MkII all-weather I bought almost 20 years ago that fired cloverleaf groups when new and still does.

mdd
January 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Chinese made red Ryder bb guns are junk. French breast implants are junk. Kids toys made out of cheap plastic are junk.
Ruger rifles are not junk. Arguably the strongest action available on the market today. Accuracy that was questionable 25 years ago has improved considerably and continues to do so. A vastly improved (over the factory m77 mark II) trigger in the hawkeye LC6. Customer service second to none.
People saying your rifle is junk are either ridiculously brand loyal or simply have their head in the sand. What I will tell you as a result of owning and hand loading for a dozen ruger rifles is that they can be picky eaters. Find a bullet and powder combo they like and they can shoot very well.

TX Hunter
January 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
You have bought one of the best rifles ever made, it will not fail you under any conditions, is very safe, and i believe you will love the accuracy. Its a modern version of the Mauser made out of stronger steel you will love it.

jmr40
January 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
Rugers are not as well refined and smooth as some other guns costing much more, but you won't find a more rugged, relaible, dependable rifle. I own the exact gun, and have had other Rugers in the past. Generally speaking they are not quite as accurate as some other brands, but mine generally puts 3 shots into1"-1 1/4" groups. I own other guns that will beat that, but they cost a lot more.

The newer Hawkeye is probably the best of the Rugers. The early versions made prior to 1992 used barrels that Ruger purchased from various outside vendors and quality varied wildly. Some shot great, others terribly. Ruger has been making their own barrels for quite some time now with much better results, but some guys apparently haven't gotten the memo yet and like to repeat worn out old rumors that are 20 years out of date.

mrawesome22
January 26, 2012, 01:28 PM
I do say things are junk occasionally. BSA scopes would be a good example.

But the 77 is a fine rifle. Enjoy it. And put a quality scope on it for Pete's sake:)

waterboy68
January 26, 2012, 01:50 PM
All three of mine are good shooters! :)

Abel
January 26, 2012, 08:15 PM
The M77 Hawkeye is, on a scale of 1-10, about 8.726743...With a ten being a $2500 custom job and a one being a Remington 710.

BIG P
January 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
I have a couple of those JUNKERS,RUGER MKII that those people talk about.
one in 25-06 & one in 243win between the two they have taken about 150 Deer & cant even count the coyotes.May not hit them in the eye but they tear up the head.So if they are indeed JUNK I've had no problem filling the freezer with them. JUNK MY BIG RED AZZ.:D:D
Get one try them for yourself.

sserdlihc
January 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have a Ruger model 77 all-weather chambered in 7mm mag. It is a great gun that only got better with my reloads.

MNDroptyne
January 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
I do reload all my own ammo. Any reccomandations for reloading? What bullets, powder and amounts have worked best for you guys that have the .308's?

Ben Towe
January 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
If they are, don't tell my stainless M77 in .338 Win. Mag.It has been extremely accurate for the last 15 years.

mrawesome22
January 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
Do a search in the handloading forum.

Same question has been asked about 10 quadrillion times.

FrankenMauser
January 27, 2012, 03:39 AM
No. You didn't.

That is the best thing Peetza has said all month, and 312% applicable to this post.

Ruger 77s (all variants and models) are good rifles. It's just that the people that have a bad experience scream it from the rooftops more so than with other brands. Because, after all, they can convince themselves that the other brands somehow put out a lemon; while their Ruger lemon was just an example of the standard quality level Ruger holds. Some people are just ignorant and stupid. Ignore them. ;)

For a while, I had a Marlin XL7 that was putting my Rugers to shame with consistent 0.490" groups at 100 yards with ultra-cheap bulk bullets. That finally changed.
My M77 Mk II in .270 Winchester (the same basic action and barrel as the Hawkeyes) is now printing groups that average 0.465" with a hunting load. I can't ask for anything better. :D

My other 77s are doing just as well, too.

Gehrhard
January 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
The 77 action is excellent, as are the barrels, and the All-Weather setup, while not the prettiest traditional use of materials, is func-tion-al (maybe ideal)!

I sorta wish I could buy as good a new car I didn't have to worry about at all either...

Colorado Redneck
January 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
But yeah, you probably did get a piece of junk. However, I am a junk buyer, so send it along to me and I will pay you $5 for it. Deal?????:D:D

It sounds like you are suffering from that old demon "Buyers Remorse" Don't listen to it. Just find some ammo and go shoot the snot out of that gun. It will last you a lifetime and you can pass it on to a grand son some day. Great caliber. Great gun.

Right to bear arms
January 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah Ruger 77's are "Junk". I've owned a 77V in 22-250 since the 70's. Only problem with it. . . it puts 5 rounds in the same hole at 100 yds. Accounted for a semi-load of rockchucks and gophers.

geetarman
January 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have two M77Vs. Both built in the mid 70's. One is 25.06 and the other is 22-250.

Both shoot just great.

Geetarman:D