PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a Rifle

cbhester
January 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Looking for some good linkage to read up on how to bed my own rifle, or become more familiar with it at the very least. Any help would be appreciated!

natman
January 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
This article shows an excellent pillar bedding job. A couple of comments - if you don't have the tooling and expertise to make square cut pillars to the exactly the right length, just epoxy bed. Just bedding will produce a significant improvement on a gun that needs it; pillars are the icing on the cake.

The Devcon bedding material he uses is expensive and hard to find. I'm sure it's wonderful stuff, but you can get excellent results with Acraglass Gel. The Acraglass that's criticized in the article is the liquid version and I wouldn't use it for bedding either.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

How much improvement you can expect depends on how badly bedded the rifle was to begin with. On some rifles it makes a day and night difference. On some you'll see a slight improvement and on a few no difference. On a very few rifles the wood to metal fit is so good that there's no point. This is rare.

Use Kiwi neutral shoe polish or Johnson's Paste Wax for a release agent. Use at least two coats so you don't miss a spot.

Best of luck.

olddav
January 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
What make of rifle are you going to bed?
It does make a difference!

cbhester
January 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Not sure if I'm going to or not just looking for some info. Its a Ruger M77 220 Swift, if I'm capable to bed it and decide to do so, anything particulars I need to look out for?

skywag
January 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
My R77 220 Swift is so accurate, I can't imagine bedding would do a lot of good.

"Made in the 200th year of independence"

olddav
January 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
Sorry, no knowledge of the process of bedding rugers:(