PDA

View Full Version : Reminton Model 51 slide

Hunter Customs
January 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
I have a customer that's in need of a 32 caliber slide for a Remington model 51.
I tried Gun Parts INC but they don't have any.
I thought I would check here in case anyone may know of one.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

gyvel
January 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
Your two best bets for now (along with a lot of patience) would be Gunbroker and Ebay, which has once again allowed the sale of slides and other formerly "forbidden" parts.

I just did a check on Sarco's website and they have slides for $40.00, but they don't specify if they are .380 or .32. I have a feeling that the slides are identical, as they are unmarked and the calibre is determined by a separate component, i.e. the breechblock. Here's the link: http://e-sarcoinc.com/remingtonm51slide.aspx

(BTW: Your "contact us" page isn't working.)

Winchester_73
January 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
The slides are indentical EXCEPT the 380 version was first. Most of the 380s were first variation, meaning that among a few other things, they had 9 rear slide serations which were wider. Later, they made them with thinner slide serations and made approx 15 when the 32 was introduced. In other words, any 32 would have the later 15 slide serration slide. Off the top of my head, they are marked the same otherwise.

As an aside, I think this is one of the best pocket autos ever made esp out of the vintage ones. They feel great in the hand too. They are indeed the natural pointer that some people refer to them as.

Here is my 380 that I used to have. I later gave it away to my uncle as a xmas gift. He was delighted as any of us would be.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/My%20guns/GEDC0134.jpg

Here is the 32 version I bought a few years ago. The 32s are much more uncommon with only approx 10k made vs 55k made of the 380 model. Note the increase of serrations and their thinness compared to the 380 above.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/My%20guns/rem513.jpg

Hunter Customs
January 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the help and info about the slides.
The difference in the cocking serrations is what we found out. However we were told we would need a slide with the larger number of cocking serrations for the pistol.
Numrich does list different part numbers for the 380 and 32 slides.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Winchester_73
January 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
However we were told we would need a slide with the larger number of cocking serrations for the pistol.

Yes, like I said. The later variation had MORE slide serrations which were also thinner. You can see it in my 32 photo. The earlier type is probably more common since the 32 was introduced much later in the guns production and only 10k 32s were made. Now of course, there were many later model 380s made as well, but I surmise that the 9 slide serration guns were a higher production.

These seemed to sell well at onset but then the sales tapered off for many reasons. And to think, the 51 was less than a Colt 1903 at the time and yet people still paid for the horsey. Nothing against the Colt but it is to me less special. Imagine the 51 plus .45 = 53