PDA

View Full Version : Walther/Interarms

implicit455
January 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
Ok, I just pick-up a used Walther, 9mmKurz/380ACP. Would like to know how old this gun is. Interarms is out of business. S&W started to make them in the 1960 + but has no info on this Ser.# S088154. Does anyone have any info on it. Also, found some guy on you-tube that said there is or was a problem with the safety not working properly, gun can go off by accident. Any comment on that????

Thanks

PSP
January 13, 2012, 06:15 AM
Your pistol was made in the early '90s, probably around 1992. It was not made by Smith & Wesson, as they took over a few years later. I know of no problem with the Interarms safety mechanism. Your pistol is safe as long as your finger is off the trigger.

Some of the S&W guns were recalled to change the safety, that's what the Youtube story refers to. Your gun isn't involved in that recall.

Follow the link below to some info at the Walther forum.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pp-tp/14957-analysis-interarms-ppk-ppk-s-serial-numbers-dates.html

gyvel
January 13, 2012, 06:16 AM
It would have to be made after 1968 since (I believe) that's when Interams took over the importation of them.

It could also be an American made gun if it is stainless steel.

I think you transposed a digit when you mention Smith taking the production over in the 1960s. I think you meant the 1990s.

There was a recall on the S&W made guns that had to do with the safety being faulty, but I think that issue has been resolved.

sils79
January 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
You don't have it if you don't have pics! Is it a PPK or PPK/s, made in america or made in Germany? Blue or Stainless?

Interarms imported PPK/s's from Walther until the 80's IIRC, then they began licensed production of both models in both finishes through the mid 90's. Then S&W came in and ruined it.

wild cat mccane
January 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
No, S&W improved it. Let's not spread rumors.

For example, try getting slide bite on the S&W version vs the old versions. The S&W version is more difficult.

pogo2
January 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
I've had the Interarms Walther PPK below for about 12 years, buying it used at that time. I believe it was manufactured at the Browning plant in Utah by Interarms under contract from Walther in Germany.

The gun is very well made, and has fired and ejected every time I have used it, for maybe 1000 rounds to date. It is a very slim gun and I have carried it on several occasions when concealment was especially important. It actually conceals easier than a J frame revolver. The gun is all steel and weighs 21 ounces empty. It is easier to shoot accurately than my J frames.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK40.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW36andWaltherPPK.jpg

PSP
January 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Browning manufactured the PPK? Never heard that before now. Can you cite a source for that info?

Dfariswheel
January 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
Browning never manufactured a Walther PP series pistol.
Browning's small .380 was the BDA which has a very close resemblance to the Beretta .380.

The PP series pistols made in America were made by Ranger in Alabama, for Interarms, under license from Walther of Germany.

gyvel
January 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Browning's small .380 was the BDA which has a very close resemblance to the Beretta .380.

Browning's BDA .380 was, in fact, made by Beretta and shares some of the components of the Berettas.

That particular gun was also sold in Europe and elsewhere as an "FN" without benefit of the Browning name.

jaughtman
January 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
A PPK and a PPK/S - no problem with either, and dang accurate to boot. I am assuming yours is a PPK or PPK/S - it it says "Made in USA" it was made at the Ranger Manufactoring plant in Alabama in the early to mid 1990's. If it says "imported by Interarms" it was not.

J

DPris
January 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
Pogo,
Wow, that's a new combination I've never heard of. :)

Browning had & still has no plant in Utah.
No Walther product has ever been built in Utah.
Walther (Germany) has never contracted for any handgun production in Utah.
Interarms never made or acquired any guns in Utah.

Where'd you get the idea from? :)
Denis

pogo2
January 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Dpris said:

Pogo,
Wow, that's a new combination I've never heard of.

Browning had & still has no plant in Utah.

See the following link for the history of the Browning Arms Company of Ogden, Utah, which was established in 1872 and still exists:

http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/b/BROWNING,ARMS.html

DPris
January 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
Pogo,
If you'd read your own link, you'd see that the current Browning Arms Company headquartered in Utah was formed in 1927, a year after John Browning died in Europe.

He had nothing whatever to do with it.

Don't confuse the old Browning Brothers shop in Ogden, Utah with the Browning Arms Company now located in Morgan, Utah.
BAC never manufactured guns in Utah.

BAC has no manufacturing plants for anything, anywhere.
BAC never built any Walther pistols.

Where did you come up with a Browning connection to your pistol?
Denis

pogo2
January 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
DPris said:
Pogo,
If you'd read your own link, you'd see that the current Browning Arms Company headquartered in Utah was formed in 1927, a year after John Browning died in Europe.

He had nothing whatever to do with it.

I made no statements about John Browning's connection with the Browning Arms Company. But since you have stated that he had nothing to do with that company, you might be interested that the Browning Arms Company, on their website, claim him as the founder of the company:

http://www.browning.com/library/pressreleases/detail.asp?ID=19

MORGAN, UTAH—Browning is proud to celebrate the 125th anniversary of company founder John M. Browning’s first firearm invention, the rifle that became known as the Model 1885 High Wall. From that humble beginning back in 1878 in Ogden, Utah and a small shop the Browning brothers jokingly called "the largest arms factory between Omaha and the Pacific," Browning has grown into a multinational organization and one of the most revered names in the firearms business.

You should contact them and correct their misconception about the name of their founder.

twhidd
January 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think the Browning thing is kind of like Anthony Imperato leading consumers to believe that his company is some how affiliated with the original Henry rifle of the 1860's.

gyvel
January 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
BAC has no manufacturing plants for anything, anywhere.

What about the Buckmark, the BDM and the new 1911-22?

DPris
January 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
Pogo,
As your link noted & I stated, the current BAC was formed AFTER Browning's death, certainly not by him, and he had absolutely nothing whatever to do with the company.
Regardless of what the website may say, really quite easy to understand & quite documentable. :)

You stated the Browning Arms Company began in 1872. Not true at all. While you didn't specifically state JMB was connected with it, the original Browning Brother's shop here in Utah WAS a John Browning business, and the business entity in 1872 was owned by him. That business was NOT the Browning Arms Corporation formed after he died & which exists today.

BAC was not founded by Browning, and has never been associated with him in anything more than name.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do know people in the current BAC headquarters, and I won't bother calling them to advise of what they're already well aware. :)

You still have not explained how you got the idea your PPK was made by BAC, or how it has any connection to Browning manufacture at all.

Gyv,
The Buckmarks & the 22-1911s are built for Browning by a company called Arms Technology Incorporated in Salt Lake City.
BDM is made for Browning by FN.

Browning Arms Corp is a design & marketing company that contracts with other makers to produce guns (and other sporting goods items like accessories & equipment) to Browning specs that Browning then markets under its own name.

Some Browning-branded products are also made under license and marketed separately.

FN owns Browning & Winchester, Browning currently holds the licensing rights to the Winchester firearms brand (from Olin, who owns it & still retains and uses the Winchester brand for the ammunition it produces under that name), which allows BAC to import & sell Winchester as well as Browning-marked guns.

Some BAC-marked firearms are made in Japan, some in Belgium, some at the FN Plant in South Carolina, and the little Beretta variant .380 in Italy.

NO BROWNING FIREARMS PLANT in Utah, or anywhere else. :)
Denis

gc70
January 22, 2012, 02:55 PM

I think Browning also contracted BDM production from ATI, but switched to FNMI when they were trying to get a contract with the Secret Service.

DPris
January 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
I don't think so, not aware of anything bigger'n the .22s by ATI. :)
I'm not aware of any centerfire pistols being made for Browning in Utah.
Denis

gyvel
January 26, 2012, 03:29 AM

Yes, it was also my understanding that the BDM was made by a company in Utah.

Edit: A little research revealed that the BDM was made by the U.S. based FN subsidiary.

Rergardless, it was truly a loser.

745SW
January 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
The only Walther’s I’ve ever owned, P5 pictured is one of two bought back around 1988, one of the black plastic boxes shows the year while the other doesn’t. Bought at the same time and place, Turner’s, at $500 each.

I’ve seen the P5 numerous times before priced at $800 and up but it was the Turner’s flyer that got me moving. The only pistol I can reliably cock the hammer with one hand and the decock/slide release lever feature I find innovative and convenient. Grip feel is squarish, not as comfortable as a 1911, but gives a better sense of pointed direction.

Downside is the slowness of the Euro mag release and the grips are said to be vital because they keep some of the guts in place. Broken grips could mean a useless pistol.:eek:

I find it to be an interesting design and highly functional but not the most practical.:rolleyes: