PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm pistols have a Match Grade barrel (or close to it)?

jonpistone2
January 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm told a match grade barrel, while it provides an added degree of accuracy, isn't worth the money it takes for a custom job if the gun will only be used for self defense (and practice at the range).

That said, I did hear that some 9mm pistols come with a barrel that is already classified as match, or at least something very very close. The Springfield XD(m) 9mm pistol was used as an example.

First...can anyone say if that is true about the XDm? and second...are there any other 9mm pistols like this (under the $1,000 range please).

As always, thank you for your help!

csmsss
January 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
Manufacturers love to throw around the "match" adjective because it implies quality and accuracy, but has utterly no objective meaning and therefore they can apply it to their products however they see fit.

The truth is that "match" means, well...pretty much nothing. And as far as accuracy in a semi-automatic pistol is concerned, there are many other factors that may have a much greater effect than the barrel itself.

Jim Watson
January 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Well, you can shoot a gun with any barrel in a match, which makes it easy for them to advertise "match grade barrels."
Notice that they do not advertise "match WINNING grade barrels."

So it is advertising puffery with no real meaning in most cases.

In SOME cases it will get you an undersize chamber that will reduce reliability with cheap ammunition or reloads with bulk bullets in mixed brass. That is seen more often in aftermarket "lead bullet" barrels and in assorted 1911 clones.

BGutzman
January 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Match grade is whatever.... mostly an advertising thing... Certainly if Les Baer or some well known and reputable company says somethings match grade then i believe that it is....

But no just because some shmoe says its match grade doesnt make it so.... Much like a brand that claims perfection is well known as not being even close.....

jonpistone2
January 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Notice that they do not advertise "match WINNING grade barrels."

does anyone advertise "match WINNING grade barrels" ??

C0untZer0
January 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
If you look at the Glocks, the barrels are very good high quality barrels.

Where the after-market barrel makers get accuracy improvements is by improving lockup. Most of the after-market barrels have slightly larger locking lugs on them than the stock Glock barrels.

Don P
January 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
I'm told a match grade barrel, while it provides an added degree of accuracy, isn't worth the money it takes for a custom job if the gun will only be used for self defense (and practice at the range).

As I have stated more than a few times 99% of todays production guns have more accuracy built into them than 99% of the shooters who buy them are capable of achieving and producing with the said purchase:eek:

predecessor
January 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Manufacturers love to throw around the "match" adjective because it implies quality and accuracy, but has utterly no objective meaning and therefore they can apply it to their products however they see fit.

The truth is that "match" means, well...pretty much nothing. And as far as accuracy in a semi-automatic pistol is concerned, there are many other factors that may have a much greater effect than the barrel itself.

Couldn't have said it better, csmsss :cool:

PSP
January 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
HK hand fit the barrels into the USP Elite models, which came in 9mm and .45, but I think the 9mm are no longer in production. These are remarkably accurate pistols, with a 6" barrel and a very nice trigger.

TxFlyFish
January 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
How about fixed barrel?