PDA

View Full Version : Rank 9mm ammo in terms of best bang for the buck

taylor12gauge
January 8, 2012, 08:01 PM
This is being shot through a stock glock 19.

Question:
Strictly for target shooting, rank the following 115gr fmj ammo from best to worst in terms of value and reliability. (I.e. Cost per round & overall quality)

Winchester white box, Remington umc, federal, sellier & bellot, tulammo?

Btw...just picked up 800 rounds of 9mm sellier & bellot for .21 cents/rnd after shipping and taxes. Haven't shot any yet, but interested to see how it performs.

Thanks

3kgt2nv
January 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
every gun is different but if i had to rank them based on my preference it would be

1 federal
2 wwb
3 rem umc
4 s&b
5 stay home and watch tv
6 tula

MidwestRookie
January 8, 2012, 09:43 PM
1 fed
2 sb even tho I hate that red sealant
3 wwb
4 umc
5 tula

My personal favorite is 124gr GECO..

itchy1
January 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
1. RWS
2. Fed
3. PMC
4. S&B
5. UMC

RWS is very good stuff and the range I go to usually has it at 10.99 a box.

Cheapshooter
January 8, 2012, 10:37 PM
Flip a coin on the first four. I watch for sales, and deals, and stock up on any US made ammo when I see a good price. I haven't tried Tula, but all the Bears, and Wolfs have run good in my European Milsurps!

RickE
January 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
Thank you for buying American when possible. It does make a difference.

B.N.Real
January 8, 2012, 10:45 PM
If you have a reliable semi auto-your best bet is the bulk sales from reputable reloaders.

You are just target shooting.

You want the cheapest you can get from a reliable reloading company and there are many.

You can get some realy great deals over the internet-just buy from established retailers with a great track record.

If they stink-you'll read it on the internet.

Just check around first before you buy.

Bamashooter
January 9, 2012, 03:03 AM
I dont usually buy foreign made 9mm. I do buy S&B 9makarov because its brass cased and a little hotter than others. I dont buy tula or bear at all.

1. CCI Blazer
2. Federal
3. Remington UMC
4. Winchester White Box

kinggabby
January 9, 2012, 03:07 AM
No particular order...
CCI Blazer
Federal
Remington UMC
Winchester White Box

checkmyswag
January 9, 2012, 07:51 AM
I've recently found out this depends on the gun.

JWT
January 9, 2012, 08:12 AM
CCI Blazer
PMC
S&B

johnbt
January 9, 2012, 08:45 AM
"My personal favorite is 124gr GECO.."

Me too, I'm working my way through 3 cases of it. I bought it for my P210, but of all my guns like it.

I like Fiocchi and S&B as well, but I'll shoot whatever is on sale, even WWB. I have had great success with Georgia Arms ammo and it's available at every gun show.

"5 stay home and watch tv
6 tula "

Now that's funny.

kealil
January 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
1. federal
2. WWB
3. tula , bear, etc

never tried pmc or umc or s&b. they just aren't cost effective here in pensacola.

i love me some federal though:D

AK103K
January 9, 2012, 09:15 AM
best bang for the buck...
Hands down, my reloads. Even when buying by the case, I still beat the price by almost half.

Im not sure if its still holding out, as its been awhile since I bought any there, but Winchester value packs at Walmart were about the best price overall for blasting ammo. Basically case lot prices that you can buy by the box, and no shipping.

DBLAction454
January 9, 2012, 09:25 AM
I can usually grab CCI Blazer Brass 115gr 9mm in my local outdoor sportsman store for $10/50rd box...

That $0.20/round but after tax its right about what you paid for your 800 rounds

My usual choices for ammo

1. CCI Blazer (Brass only)
2. PMC
3. Federal

zincwarrior
January 9, 2012, 09:32 AM
These are strictly ammunition I have fired. YMMV and I agree it can definitely depend on the firearm.

9mm only:
Winchester whitebox
Remington UMC
Magtech/PMC
S&B
Wolf
the Bears.

Beanie-Bean
January 9, 2012, 09:32 AM
I didn't see it listed earlier, but I've had really good luck with the following:

Speer Lawman 124 gr.
Speer Lawman 147 gr.

That ammo shoots pretty much like the carry/duty ammo (Gold Dot) and has been very consistent, in my experience. I used to get the cheap-o Monarch steel and brass, and even Winchester White Box (and I still do) but get Speer when I'm in the area.

I also reload, so I tend to go after factory ammo that has brass cases instead of steel.

Fargazer
January 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
I tend to say Federal - in particular, American Eagle 147, which is my standard practice round. I, like Beanie-Bean, have also had good luck with Lawman.

C0untZer0
January 9, 2012, 12:57 PM
I picked up a 50rd box of Blazer Aluminum for $9.00 at Farm & Fleet, my 17L shoots it with no problems so that's my best bang for the buck now.

I got the Remington 115gr L9MM3 for around $11 and when I lined the rounds up on the countertop there was some short and some tall so I started taking a caliper to them an there was a 1/32" difference between the tallest rounds and the shortest rounds - I thought my Glocks would fire them no problem which they did but I won't buy the L9MM3 again.

I have a few boxes of Wolf and no ranges to shoot them at because the range owners don't allow the stuff.

Patriot86
January 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
I must say that sellier and bellot is one HELL of a value.
On sale at Cabelas locally it is $9.99 per box of 50.

I have fired off going on 1000 rounds of the stuff without a single failure I can blame on the ammunition.

Federal, same deal nothing in 9mm I can blame on the ammo.
The thing is you get what IMO is at best a slightly cleaner round, with equal reliability that costs somewhere between $2-4 more per box. Why pay more?

Also, while I have had 0 issues with the 9mm flavor I have had a couple of bad rounds when I used federal FMJ's in .40 S&W. That is out of hundreds so no big deal, nothing unexpected I suppose.

crispy
January 9, 2012, 01:20 PM
Found Federal in new 100 ct. boxes at Wally World for $20.

sigcurious
January 9, 2012, 01:23 PM
S&B is the cheapest factory ammo I can find and is what I have used when possible. It has always gone bang and caused no issues in my guns. That being said, a lot of the other ammo people have listed seems to sell in their locations for the same ~$10/box as I can get S&B for(Sadly, I've always had to wait for free shipping at cabelas to even get the $10/box on S&B, otherwise everything local is ~$14/box).

Something else that I was recently introduced to is getting in on a group buy of quality commercial reloads, might want to look out for something like that in your area. Hopefully the upcoming batch will be some of the last target/plinking ammo I buy though, as I'm working on getting my reloading setup going :D

jhgreasemonkey
January 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
I used to use federal and american eagle but after the price jump a couple years back I started trying out the other budget ammo and found that my favorites in the low cost category are sellier and bellot and fiocchi. Both perform great, burn clean and I like the sealed primers. You open the box and it looks like you've got high quality ammo. They also seem a little hotter than the rest maby due to the old saami vs. cip thing. Allthough some fiocchi is made in the US.

Mrgunsngear
January 9, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm Brown Bear and Silver Bear through my Glocks have never had an issue with it at all. No squibs, primer failures, nothing... It goes bang and is probably more accurate than me. IMO it's the best value out there short of reloading...

johnbt
January 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
I've been trying to remember the last time I saw a box of Speer Lawman for sale. All I've ever shot has been great, but that was years ago.

sigcurious
January 9, 2012, 09:32 PM
speer lawman was on sale, and might still be at sportsmans guide

reaganmarine84
January 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
#1 Federal Champion 115 FMJ-available at WallyWorld for about $10.47/50
#2 Sellier & Bellot
#3 RWS

With special mention for Herter's brass,MFS 2000,MagTech and lastly PMC.

FairWarning
January 9, 2012, 10:43 PM
1. S&B
2. RWS (Swiss ammo, excellent, Match)
3. UMC
4. GA Arms (I wouldn't say these are better than Fed, but a great value)
5. Fed American Eagle

johnbt
January 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
"speer lawman was on sale, and might still be at sportsmans guide "

Thanks, I didn't say so, but I was speaking of seeing it locally. It used to be everywhere.

"RWS"

Absolutely, and from the same corporation - RUAG Ammotec of Switzerland - that makes GECO, Norma, Hirtenberger, Nobel, etc.

chuckles
January 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
I like 124GR.

RWS-Geco-(best in every way,at least to me)
Federal-(Any)
WWB

Russian-(not in my guns)

Fishbed77
January 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
My personal favorite is 124gr GECO.

Yep - the Geco stuff is great, but I never see it locally any more.

Mike38
January 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
Best bang for the buck?

1. My reloads.
2. Wolf.

Yes Wolf. It’s good enough to give me Master Classification scores in Combat Pistol competition in my 92FS.

sigcurious
January 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
@Johnbt, ahh the sale at SG was the first I had ever seen it online or locally. It does get great reviews though, if I didn't already have a bunch of ammo coming I'd be real tempted to try it out.